Recommend me something fun for track days sub £750

djoptix

Had a Megane Coupe 2.0 F4R, sold it, miss it.

Had an MGF VVC, sold it, miss it.

Please recommend something to fill the hole. Criteria:

• Faster the better but good round corners, not just in a straight line.
  • Ideally quicker than the MGF.
  • Image not important.

Current possibilities are:

• Sort out one of my BX 16vs (but this would be a metric fuck-ton of work)
  • Find a Metro 114 and transplant a VVC into it - confident I could do this, would be less work than a BX, but I'd have to work hard to find a decent Metro for the money I want to spend...

1 minute ago, Mrcento said:

Can you still find Saxo VTS's around that money? (i'd guess not, most have been chavved/crashed and scrapped).

LOL no unfortunately! Think £5k+ now for a VTS - if you can even find any. Even the VTR is £2k+ for something half decent now. 

1 minute ago, sporty-shite said:

Clio 1*2

I've been tracking these for a long while. They're now £1.5k+ for something usable. Sub £1k are fucked in some way - knackered suspension, rattling dephasers and the like. Also appears at the stage where it's utter fucked or decent ones and very little middle ground. 

2 minutes ago, SiC said:

I've been tracking these for a long while. They're now £1.5k+ for something usable. Sub £1k are fucked in some way - knackered suspension, rattling dephasers and the like. Also appears at the stage where it's utter fucked or decent ones and very little middle ground. 

They're still out there at reasonable money  but they are creeping up now, as all the scruffy ones get broken for parts.  It's the cambelt change that kills values. If you're willing to DIY or cambelt roulette, your budget may just about get you one. 

2 minutes ago, Mrcento said:

Crikey, it only seems a year ago they were everywhere for about £800 ?

Just had a quick look, a little over budget but not in the 2-5k range

https://www.gumtree.com/p/citroen/saxo-vtr-/1359520409

https://www.gumtree.com/p/citroen/citreon-saxo-vts/1359241570

The VTS there actually looks decent (albeit over 1000).

Such thoughts rattle around in me head all the time. The obvious choices are so for a reason but there aren’t any rules really. A couple of ideas I’ve seen/though of:

Toyota MR2 mk3. Cheap, mid engined, not a backwards facing metro

BMW 330d E46. There was one on slicks at the last track day I went to and it was brutal

Pug 206 gti 180. Seen as the poor relation but will keep up with the clios

Citroen Xsara VTS. Great if you can find one

6 minutes ago, 2MB said:

BMW 330d E46. There was one on slicks at the last track day I went to and it was brutal

Yes this.

We did crail a few times this year in a 330d on slicks and what a hoot, the bloody thing is mental quick.     It's stripped out and could be cheaply bought but not road legal.

4 minutes ago, garbaldy said:

Yes this.

We did crail a few times this year in a 330d on slicks and what a hoot, the bloody thing is mental quick.     It's stripped out and could be cheaply bought but not road legal.

The idea of running a proper track car on red diesel is both sensible and hilarious

2 hours ago, djoptix said:

Had a Megane Coupe 2.0 F4R, sold it, miss it.

Had an MGF VVC, sold it, miss it.

Please recommend something to fill the hole. Criteria:

• Faster the better but good round corners, not just in a straight line.
  • Ideally quicker than the MGF.
  • Image not important.

Current possibilities are:

• Sort out one of my BX 16vs (but this would be a metric fuck-ton of work)
  • Find a Metro 114 and transplant a VVC into it - confident I could do this, would be less work than a BX, but I'd have to work hard to find a decent Metro for the money I want to spend...

You need an omega.  

Take out interior.  V6 218 bhp Rwd 

I used to do car trackdays a lot 20 years ago, then I did a bike one, I've not done a car one since, 'don't pass here' 'wait for the other driver to let you through' 'no overtaking into corners' etc, it all seems a bit restrictive but necessary I guess due to the varying levels of incompetence in wildly differing cars.