Cars with bolt on rear wings - rare?

Peter C

Matra Rancho, sort of - the whole rear outer shell unbolts and lifts off, though not the wings separately.

Meanwhile the rear inner wings are busy removing themselves via oxidation, but that’s definitely not rare.

Also, Morris Minor.

And more or less anything pre-monocoque.

Not easily removable as in "quickly-detachable like a DS but theMR2 / Mk3 has bolt-on panels.

Toyota-MR2-MK3-Roadster-Passenger-Side-LH-NS.jpg.c7e90919b1a1b370048552ad08c1c032.jpg

I guess a bolt on rear wing / quarter panel is more viable on convertibles because the body design doesn't have to manage that complex and visually important junction with the roof / C-pillar. There often isn't really an inner rear wing either; just the wheel tub with the outer panel visible from inside. Nothing to bolt the panel onto.

4 hours ago, flat4alfa said:

Model T Ford.

All American Ford passenger cars up to the 1949 shoebox Fords did!

Fords over here, I guess the Pilot was the last of the big Fords because I don't think they came off any of the Consuls or Zephyrs. For the small Fords it must have been the 103E Pop because on the 100E shell they were part of the main body.

I Think on my old smart roadster you had to remove the whole back of the car including wings just to change the plugs.

Plus on my Z3 the rear wings are bolt on but they are staying firmly in place and filled up with waxoyl once a year as ignorance is bliss although it does look rust free.

C94796BF-06B4-4DC2-A54A-830632298775.jpeg

EF023827-EA80-4973-890B-007780BA1EC7.jpeg