Virginal collection thread! FAILED. Round 1, Part 2 soon!

Tomtation

So this is my very first AS collection thread, I R EXCITE!

Step 1 - Wake up, ouch, bad times. Alleviate pain of waking with coffee.

DH67PDJl.jpg

Better.

Dog is bored, weekend lie in means she wants to be out walking and chewing semi-decomposed things, the more minging the better.

WLH4ogCl.jpg

So kill the squeaky donkey toy instead.

0kbrqjvl.jpg

Step 2 - Dog walked, rubbed down and put in bed.

Choose steed of collection, disregard Hearse cos 20mpg gives me wallet pain.

Choose Venga of boredom for its boring reliability and OMGMPEEGEES, best i've had out of it is 78.5. So why are we selling it for a 35 mpg at best, high mileage, 4x4? There's your clue as to the collection specimen!

s11gOUdl.jpg

Is dirty, will be more dirty.

Pip pip! Off we go!

rZ80iqkh.jpg

The Venga bus is comin' and everybody's jumpin' 
New York through San Fransisco 
An interstate free disco, 
The wheels of steel are turnin' and traffic lights are burnin'
So if you like to party, 
Get on and move your body

God, I’ve waited for someone to have a Kia Venga for years to post that shit!!  

20191123_091635.thumb.jpg.ca1d3b53556776b133e8f42e9424f137.jpg

Step 3 breakfast achieved! Mnay french pastries and a HOG ROAST sausage roll, oh such meaty yumminess, good job too as that pretty lot came to a pretty £7.40 :shock:

Venga of boredom has blown a headlamp bulb...

Vengaboys have absolutely* never* been played in this car, ever.

6 minutes ago, spartacus said:

78.5, is that indicated, or calculated?

Good luck on the collection, I reckon the only 4x4 that'll get close to 35mpg is a Freelander, with the front prop removed, 'for economy'.

Or a Lexus hybrid 4x4 thing, saying that my dads Rav4 averaged 48mpg, but that was a diesel.

2 hours ago, brownnova said:

The Venga bus is comin' and everybody's jumpin' 
New York through San Fransisco 
An interstate free disco, 
The wheels of steel are turnin' and traffic lights are burnin'
So if you like to party, 
Get on and move your body

God, I’ve waited for someone to have a Kia Venga for years to post that shit!!  

Arrrgh! 

1999 I worked in a warehouse where one twat insisted on having Vibe FM (after it turned to shit and before it became kiss) all day every day and that fucking song was on almost constantly. 

I suffered with that as an earworm for months and months and now you restarted it. 

Bastard. 

Good luck Tomtation BTW. 

4 hours ago, Jim Bell said:

Top threading. 

9/10 dog

5/9 breakfast

4/8 steed.

10/10 BANTS. 

If we are guessing I'm gonna say a high milage silver Lexus electric 4x4 affair that smells of dogs. 

Smell of dogs no, looks like it should smell of dogs? Yes. Prize goes to Sir Jim bell for correct guestimation!

Lexus was luscious, if very dirty. Quite quick BUT EML on, no coolant in it, missing at low revs and overheating big time. Could just be a thermostat, but could be utterly fucked. None of this on ebay ad.

Walked away, I R DEFLATED. Don't like driving home empty, er, lexus handed?

19 minutes ago, Wingz123 said:

Bloody hell, walk away feeling like you just saved yourself a massive headache. Yeh you may have just done £30 in diesel but better that than a hefty bill and a dead car

Yeah, sound like he's just seen the bullet that nearly got him, buried in the wall.  FRO seller, go find another fella.

overhearing could be linked to low coolant which could be linked to a leak, rad, hose, waterpump, headgadket.  Head gasket could be linked to misfire.  Miss fire could be linked to headgadket or it might be electrical.  Electrical, probs just a fuse ennit mate.  And so the sellers diagnosis was complete and it was offered as a simple fix for someone's in the know.  Or being just a simple fix, it wasn't worth mentioning.   

Didn't feel like 230000 miles, so testament to Lexus. There was also suspicious amounts of white smoke, could have been condensation but...

On the other hand, OH has approved of the vehicle, so we'll find a 'normal' priced one.

Lunch stop on way home, then back to studying.

Thanks for the input folks!

3 hours ago, spartacus said:

78.5, is that indicated, or calculated?

Good luck on the collection, I reckon the only 4x4 that'll get close to 35mpg is a Freelander, with the front prop removed, 'for economy'.

The Venga is capable of pretty dam good economy if you concentrate on hypermiling etc. Indicated 78.5 though, normal driving is usually low 50's post remap.

2 minutes ago, Jim Bell said:

Ten thousand GOOD SENSE POINTS awarded. 

Was it at a gravel yarded dealers?

Sounds like the kind of car that would be from your description. 

Was from Sterling cars, or carswithnoreservereading, the way they operate means you don't have to have the car when you win the auction. Which is bloody good!

Car description is very minimal but im sure they coukd have put 'EML on' on the damn listing... Ive used them before with great results.

1 hour ago, Timewaster said:

Arrrgh! 

1999 I worked in a warehouse where one twat insisted on having Vibe FM (after it turned to shit and before it became kiss) all day every day and that fucking song was on almost constantly. 

I suffered with that as an earworm for months and months and now you restarted it. 

Bastard. 

Good luck Tomtation BTW. 

I walked out of The Entertainer once, mid Hot Wheels hunt, because that came on

Perhaps the bit of insulation tape over the EML had fallen off, having been allied in damp weather.  Thus they had genuinely not seen the EML light on.  

The coolant would have been fine when they parked it up, having been topped up by the person who applied the tape.  Again, this may have leaked out from the not so small hole in the rad, hidden behind the aircon 'rad thingy'' fallen onto the gravel yard parking area only to be absorbed by the gravel leaving no tell tale sign of leak.

all these things happen to the best of sellers eh fellas.

as for the white smoke out the zorst, even the mechanically 'partially not inept' getbthat wrong.  I picked up a brand new Montego years ago, mate said "ere you got steam and water coming out your exhaust". I replied knowingly,"it will be condensation where it has been moved around since coming off the end of the line, you see"............129 miles some later, engine partially hydraulicked on starting......."that's funny I thought".  Longs tory short at 250 miles it hadn't a new head and then at 450 miles it had a complete new engine.  Some 6 to 8 weeks after delivery, I was finally driving the thing.  It was fine for 100k miles after that.

it is good that you can bail when you go a bit pale, fair play on that one fella seller

You should have said something before going down there.....this is just down the road from me....all of these cars are from BCA Blackbushe. They are all trade ins. I know-ish the guy Jason who owns the place, it is only down the road from me. He buys 200-300 cars a month from BCA, most of the pictures of the cars are photographed and advertised online as soon as they have gone through the ring so you will note the sticker in the top right or left hand side of the windscreen. Buying that number of cars he simply does not check them all out thoroughly- volume of cars is his business model. Some he loses money on some he makes money on. They are delivered on an 11 car transporter and driven from the A4 round the back of the Esso garage and into his yard where they sit before being collected - that is the only distance they cover. If anything is blindingly obviously wrong with them then it is mentioned. I had an 07' XC90 D5 with all the bells and whistles about 6 months ago from him down there and it's been spot on  bar it needing tracking doing and a little bit of paintwork??

But see feedback it's a bit of a lottery. Also see his massively long description - these are trade-ins and have been traded in for a reason normally!

53 minutes ago, Wingz123 said:

You should have said something before going down there.....this is just down the road from me....all of these cars are from BCA Blackbushe. They are all trade ins. I know-ish the guy Jason who owns the place, it is only down the road from me. He buys 200-300 cars a month from BCA, most of the pictures of the cars are photographed and advertised online as soon as they have gone through the ring so you will note the sticker in the top right or left hand side of the windscreen. Buying that number of cars he simply does not check them all out thoroughly- volume of cars is his business model. Some he loses money on some he makes money on. They are delivered on an 11 car transporter and driven from the A4 round the back of the Esso garage and into his yard where they sit before being collected - that is the only distance they cover. If anything is blindingly obviously wrong with them then it is mentioned. I had an 07' XC90 D5 with all the bells and whistles about 6 months ago from him down there and it's been spot on  bar it needing tracking doing and a little bit of paintwork??

But see feedback it's a bit of a lottery. Also see his massively long description - these are trade-ins and have been traded in for a reason normally!

Ah, good to know! I'll keep that in mind for another time - cheers James. If i'm looking for a specific car I often see if this seller has one, they're often quite cheap but a bit of a gamble, as I thought they probably came on a transporter and just moved 20 feet to the collection area. I had a 1996 XJ6 on LPG from him a while back, £900 and it was almost perfect, loved that car but sold cos insurance was a killer back then for my 23 year old self!

It was very busy in the yard, lots of people coming in and out so I can well imagine the descriptions are basic, still though - EML and obvious misfire...

We've sensibly decided to sell the Venga before buying the next car, so will get that cleaned and listed tomorrow as weather is mank and I've spent enough time in it already today!

The Hearse for the uninitiated, @SF19. Fixed exhaust means it actually runs nicely now too! Way quieter.

SF2019.thumb.png.cc84543e7414dfc3847c8de2a4b14d8c.png