New shitter. 1982 Citroen VISA.

Lankytim

28 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

You really need the right kit to properly test a coil accurately, but you should be able to get a rough idea with a simple test.

With the coil in situ and power supplied to the LT side, you should get a nice juicy spark between the HT terminal and ground (usually the case) when you disconnect the power supply negative terminal.  It's the collapsing magnetic field due to the interruption of the circuit which generates the "kick." A coil with a faulty secondary will produce a weak or no spark.

EDIT: Use a bit of wire to keep the spark gap to something sensible..."firing" the coil with nothing connected can cause it to flash over internally if the insulation is already a bit past it.

Not entirely sure how that will work with a double ended coil like this though... anyone got a schematic?

If you have a decent automotive electrical engineer anywhere near you they would probably have the kit to properly test it... probably for not much, so you could at least rule it out or know it's stuffed.  Probably worth a few quid for the tail chasing it will save.

I tried this test and got absolutely zero spark, nothing at all!

54 minutes ago, Lankytim said:

It’s picked up a few dents in the doors since those photos were taken,  The guy I bought it from purchased it in 2010 and immediately laid it up, what a waste! 

There are plus points... think of it as having nine years' less exposure to road salt, reduced mileage and less wear and tear...

40 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

There are plus points... think of it as having nine years' less exposure to road salt, reduced mileage and less wear and tear...

That’s one way of looking at it I guess, 9 years in a nice warm garage as opposed to sitting under a hedge would’ve been better though ??

I pretended to take something out to the wheelie bin earlier on and sneaked into the garage for a fettle. (Can't get a frigging minute to myself with it being Christmas)

I really wanted to properly test the coil and try and get a spark from it. 

I removed the coil and lashed up a test rig, a wire from the positive post on a charged battery to the live side of the LT circuit on the coil and a similar wire from the negative side which I could "flash" on and off the battery negative post. With a HT terminal a few mm away from the negative post on the battery the wire was flashed across the post a few times.  Lots of sparks from the negative wire but absolutely zero spark from the HT terminal.  

In my mind the coil has karked it but I could be totally wrong and be testing it incorrectly.  On another note, with the multimeter probes on the connectors for the coil feed and earth I can measure 9V which then fluctuates down to 2V and back up to 9V as the engine is turned over, so there seems to be something happening there. 

1 hour ago, jonathan_dyane said:

Sounds fucked to me.

I'd tend to agree. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Pastry said:

At least the electronic side of things appears to be working, which would be a serious problem if it didn't.  

I think the next stop is a working coil, so if anyone knows of a cheap source before I get a £72 one from ECAS then please let me know. I've read that some people have used Harley Davidson coils but I think they only work with points ignition systems. 

21 minutes ago, Lankytim said:

I'd tend to agree. 

I think the next stop is a working coil, so if anyone knows of a cheap source before I get a £72 one from ECAS then please let me know. I've read that some people have used Harley Davidson coils but I think they only work with points ignition systems. 

I think you are right about the Harley coils which people use on 2CVs - designed for points, and I can't imagine they are cheap anyway.  Conventional electronic coils seem to be around £25-30  each and as you'd need two plus faffing around to fit them,  it's hardly a worthwhile saving.   I can look on the 2CV forums if you like. though they are not very Visa savvy.

Be very careful about this coil. It might be for a visa, but the colour is wrong (ok so they can be made from any colour plastic) but the mounting runners shown in the picture are specifically for mounting to a 2CV Light bar. Unless the seller can tell you for sure it’s visa electronic ignition and not just an ordinary 2CV one. It won’t work (or won’t work for long, I’m told visa ignition systems burn out standard 2CV coils fairly quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Mr Pastry said:

The listing says it's suitable for the Visa and 2cv, which I'm not sure is possible, plus it's black so I think it's a straight 2cv coil and the bit about it fitting Visas is an error unfortunately.  Boo!

I’m sure this is like teaching your granny to suck eggs, but are the float chambers full of fuel? My 2cv used to be a git to start if it had been sitting for a while due to lack of fuel in the carb due to dodgy fuel pump.

Once top of carb pulled off and float chambers filled it would fire straight up and run for a couple of mins on the contents of the carb alone.

I must add what a fantastic car this looks to be!

5 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Harley coil is absolutely fine with electronic ignition. Recommended by some even.

But surely the electronic ignition which is sold as a 2CV conversion is designed to work with a points-type coil?

I think in this case as the Visa electronics are specific to that car, not fully understood, and not broken yet, it is better to use the correct Visa coil.  

9 hours ago, Jimbob McGregor said:

I’m sure this is like teaching your granny to suck eggs, but are the float chambers full of fuel? My 2cv used to be a git to start if it had been sitting for a while due to lack of fuel in the carb due to dodgy fuel pump.

Once top of carb pulled off and float chambers filled it would fire straight up and run for a couple of mins on the contents of the carb alone.

I must add what a fantastic car this looks to be!

Initially the float chamber wasn't filling with fuel but after giving everything a good clear out it's filling up fine now. Annoying as I thought i'd found the non- run issue but it was just a different non-run issue. 

5 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Harley coil is absolutely fine with electronic ignition. Recommended by some even.

1 hour ago, Mr Pastry said:

But surely the electronic ignition which is sold as a 2CV conversion is designed to work with a points-type coil?

I think in this case as the Visa electronics are specific to that car, not fully understood, and not broken yet, it is better to use the correct Visa coil.  

After consulting google the original Visa coil is 0.7 OHM while these Harley jobbies are 3.0 OHM or thereabouts so I don't think they're going to work on a Visa, shame, as they seem to come up used for £20-£30 and are meant to be a nice upgrade for 2CVs. . Different coils are available which fit the bill. DYNATEK have a bike coil with two HT outlets and the right primary coil resistance but they're about £150 or so to buy.