New shitter. 1982 Citroen VISA.

Lankytim

On 2/20/2022 at 2:01 PM, LightBulbFun said:

the 40 year MOT exemption and the 40 Year £NIL Historic Taxation class are 2 separate things and each has their own separate eligibility requirements and are managed by 2 separate agencies, the DVLA for Tax stuff and the DVSA for MOT stuff

So even though they know when the car is officially 40 years registered, the programmer or whoever wrote it makes you wait what could be nearly 41 years ...

Same with the road tax that you pay for....where they turn over old owners and new when selling or newly taxing... Is it tooo difficult to write a programme that works it out daily ....

🙄

3 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

So even though they know when the car is officially 40 years registered, the programmer or whoever wrote it makes you wait what could be nearly 41 years ...

in the case of the historic vehicle £NIL rate taxation class eligible, it rolls over on the new financial year because its a financial adjustment thing

in the same way all the other vehicle taxes go up every 1st Of April and so does your council tax etc etc etc

there is no computer technical reason why they could not make it a rolling eligibility, its down to other factors, but fuck if I know how the financial sector works LOL

My wheels have turned up and they look amazing! Yay! There’s meant to be 2 parcels with 2 wheels in each but only the one has appeared, boo!! 

Should I leave it a couple of days to see if it appears or get on to the seller? 

The parcel also came with a free gift disguised as packaging materials. 

3A985643-A8D5-4446-B19C-05BFD3154A77.jpeg

819E9427-2A81-431F-98F7-23FFAE05A57F.jpeg

28514653-3411-4B74-85A5-D3B3C393D518.jpeg

73AE472B-A60C-4A17-A5C5-2276E75DB633.jpeg

0FF6471F-943A-45B3-9902-4BB34A1D6B91.jpeg

18 minutes ago, MJK 24 said:

Yep!  I know your pain!  Had this with some ‘bargain’ Alfasud wheels years ago!

How much are the correct tyres for those rims?

According to the Michelin TRX page on Wikipedia this is the size that should be fitted, I can't find any for sale in that size though. Similar sizes are £3-400 though 

20 minutes ago, Lankytim said:

According to the Michelin TRX page on Wikipedia this is the size that should be fitted, I can't find any for sale in that size though. Similar sizes are £3-400 though 

Crazy money.  I could just about swallow £300 for a full set for a concours Queen.  £300 each is just bonkers on every level.  

I’d  be budgeting £30 to £35 each for Firestone / Hankook / Kumho for 13” tiddlers for a car of this type.

I'm wondering how straightforward it would be to drill out the spot welds, remove the wheel centres and weld them into a set of modern 13" wheel barrels. Obviously it would completely negate the whole reason for getting "new" wheels as I'd have to clean them up and paint them again afterwards and getting an engineering firm to do the work could be difficult/costly but it could be a good way to get wider rims with some dish (not that I'm particularly into dished wheels)

17 minutes ago, Lankytim said:

I'm wondering how straightforward it would be to drill out the spot welds, remove the wheel centres and weld them into a set of modern 13" wheel barrels. Obviously it would completely negate the whole reason for getting "new" wheels as I'd have to clean them up and paint them again afterwards and getting an engineering firm to do the work could be difficult/costly but it could be a good way to get wider rims with some dish (not that I'm particularly into dished wheels)

Wouldn't it just be more cost- effective to buy the correct metric tyres? 

I have made special wheels in the past in the way you describe, and it is possible but a lot of hassle.   You will have difficulty finding anyone to do it, due to the safety/liability angle and it will be expensive, so just don't, really.     

1 minute ago, Mr Pastry said:

It would be more cost effective to chuck these wheels in the bin and just buy the correct 13" ones.  I'll dig around a little for metric tyres but I think it's a bit of a non-starter, I think they're pretty much the Betamax of the tyre world.

20 minutes ago, Largactil said:

I bought a set of 6j banded steels for my LNA, which had undergone a similar process:

spacer.png

However, I thought the 'lips' on TRX rims was also an issue, when it came to sealing a non-TRX tyre?

I think the lips won't accept a non TRX tyre at all, apart from the size issues they have a weird "well" that the tyre bead sits in that helps to hold it in place, imperial sized tyres have a different shape, I'm not sure what would happen with this well if you attempted to fit a non TRX tyre (and somehow stretched it to fit).  In the case of my wheels the entire "barrel" of the wheel would need to be swapped. 

Slightly cheaper:

https://www.allopneus.com/produit/pneu-auto/michelin/collection/trx/190-55r340-81-v/0000081782

I think I'd stick them back up on Ebay, properly described - some rivet counting Citroen homme will want them.

Or try and sell them to these guys:

http://www.ckc.dk/cgi/mp?eng%A495495154

2 hours ago, N Dentressangle said:

Great spot! Maybe they're usable after all?

Those are 13" imperial wheels, which was what I thought I was purchasing. These metric rims I have appear identical but obviously aren't 

3 hours ago, 500tops said:

As far as I know the only TRX Visa rims are GT/Cabriolet and Super X. All were alloy

I didn't think Visas were fitted with TRX wheels at all, even after lots of reading up and googling I can only find evidence of the alloy versions and many sites say the Visa was metric only, including the haynes manual , these steels must be pretty unusual.

22 hours ago, Mr Pastry said:

I have made special wheels in the past in the way you describe, and it is possible but a lot of hassle.   You will have difficulty finding anyone to do it, due to the safety/liability angle and it will be expensive, so just don't, really.     

It would require a kidney sale to pay for metric tyres; might be worth seeing what one of the tyre-banding outfits would charge for fitting 13" rims to these sexy hubs, but probs cheaper to just find  13" wheels.

1 minute ago, somewhatfoolish said:

It would require a kidney sale to pay for metric tyres; might be worth seeing what one of the tyre-banding outfits would charge for fitting 13" rims to these sexy hubs, but probs cheaper to just find  13" wheels.

Yeah fair comment.  I have some doubt whether you would find a 13" rim that would fit the centre directly.  Even if you do they are not cheap, and it is a different ball game to banding a complete wheel.  

When I was doing it 20 years ago, new Dunlop rims were about £50 each, so probably double that now, plus labour, and it is not a nice job.  £250 per wheel?

• 6 months later...