New shitter. 1982 Citroen VISA.

Lankytim

There was as of last week a Visa of some description in this yard

257124849_10225759767042336_409618613419

255700833_10225758310405921_178547532284

I would assume it's a four-pot or diesel so possibly has the 'other' type of BMC with servo? Presumably there are other bits on it that could be useful for yours. Possibly worth a trip over, of find a helpful local shiter willing to strip bits off, as I think it's a bit of a trek from you?

8 minutes ago, barrett said:

There was as of last week a Visa of some description in this yard

257124849_10225759767042336_409618613419

255700833_10225758310405921_178547532284

I would assume it's a four-pot or diesel so possibly has the 'other' type of BMC with servo? Presumably there are other bits on it that could be useful for yours. Possibly worth a trip over, of find a helpful local shiter willing to strip bits off, as I think it's a bit of a trek from you?

That's not a bad call. I know some (all the later ones inc diesel?) have the BMC and servo on the passenger side and it's operated via a rod from the brake pedal and I don't think they would be suitable but I bet there's loads of other similar parts. 

1 hour ago, dean36014 said:

That mounting bracket locks identical to the bolt pattern for a c15 servo. Might be worth having a look for one of those. I've a spare one you can borrow to try it for size if you like

The issue for me though is the C15 has the brake servo on the opposite side and it's operated by a long rod from the pedal box. I was able to apply the brakes in my Dad's C15 from the passenger seat which he found hilarious * Saying that, it's only where the brake master/servo would be on a LHD C15 so perhaps it would all simply bolt in.

2 hours ago, grogee said:

Is there a vacuum intake you can use for the servo or will you just fashion one on the intake manifold?

Servo brakes are probably a decent upgrade. Not that it's going very fast at the moment. 

We're all behind you though - keep up the shite work

I'd have to find somewhere on the inlet manifold and drill/tap a hole. There's not much to the manifold though so maybe there won't be a suitable place. 

17 minutes ago, Lankytim said:

I'd have to find somewhere on the inlet manifold and drill/tap a hole. There's not much to the manifold though so maybe there won't be a suitable place. 

TU engines had two vacuum ports- one for the vacuum-controlled hot air mixer/emissions control; the other (circled) was a connection for the brake servo
image.png.80e265e566ef23d942c87d136d2c5169.png

Looking at yours, might this be a good patch for a port to be welded/drilled+tapped in?
image.thumb.png.f604ea520eac83ece97b049457642d7b.png

1 hour ago, Lankytim said:

I have successfully drilled and tapped a vacuum port on my Puma, it's do-able. I did use PTFE tape on the threads for extra goodness. 

I can see your problem though as it's quite a dainty little thing on yours. 

image.thumb.png.83d4e942bbd570e83a1642c6e247754f.png

I've done a bit of part number googling and have come up with this site, they appear to have all the braking components I need to get everything ship-shape including the correct master cylinder, free delivery too! Has anyone had any experience with Onlinecarparts.co.uk? I think it's all based within the EU so I'm wondering if I'm going to get stung with import duty when it gets here. I'll have to wait a month or two to save up before I buy anything anyway. It looks promising though. 

8 minutes ago, MrSteve said:

Why the desire to fit a brake servo- seems like overkill? You've got sporty twin piston calipers at the front already!

It's because the parts for a servo set up seem to be easier to find, although hopefully I might've found the correct item now anyway. 

1 hour ago, Lankytim said:

It's because the parts for a servo set up seem to be easier to find, although hopefully I might've found the correct item now anyway. 

Caliper seal kits are available after years of being unavailable here (if you want to stick with your existing calipers)- ebay or brakeparts.co.uk

I use this cross ref site below to check part nos for all my cars. Here it it is for the rhd master cylinder:

http://www.kakapart.com/oem/partscrossinterchange/citroen-95493193.html

Visa Brakes.jpg

Never driven a Visa but I quite like unassisted brakes. They feel different than assisted but you get more feel. I've been tempted to disconnect the servo on my MGB for that reason.

It's also why the S1 Elise never had any servo assistance on its brakes. 

2 hours ago, Jimblob said:

That looks like the jobbie! Well found! I’ve already got new pads, discs, shoes and cylinders as the car came with them in a box in the boot. 

Another piece to the jigsaw! This 2cv fan has a smaller pulley which is needed to clear the hump on the electronic ignition module. There’s barely any difference compared to the Visa fan but it’s an essential item. It was very kindly sent for the cost of postage from a fella on the 2CV group on Facebook. What a nice bunch! The guy also has a broken LNA but it’s all the way over in France. 

BAB9BF40-4084-4412-A1BE-C55B02EECFFB.jpeg

BD545FCC-59C5-4BA1-A845-DBFA6EF8C55B.jpeg

69A42BE7-1F58-4A06-B7C0-409A88131AEC.jpeg

• 1 month later...

After careful Christmas budgeting I've finally pulled the trigger on these brake parts from "onlinecarparts.co.uk" (soz kids, crap presents this year) The reviews are mixed with some reporting parts taking over a month to appear, incorrect parts being substituted for parts that are suddenly out of stock and a protracted returns procedure seemingly designed to discourage customers from returning faulty or incorrect parts. There are many happy customers however, so fingers crossed!

On 11/14/2021 at 5:03 PM, Lankytim said:

Interestingly the manifold seems to have a  pinhole in the bottom which allows a certain amount of petrol to leak over the top of the engine should any fuel be poured directly into the carb. It’s like a self destruct mechanism should anyone dare abuse the engine in such a way. The engine gets covered with petrol and bursts into flame when you get a backfire through the inlet manifold. Not that it actually happened to me you understand… even I’m not that daft *

Darkness interrupted play and as I’m at work for the next few days it’ll be later next week before I can have another fettle with it. 

489B0A6F-8FBB-40F7-B896-F0CB66739E70.jpeg

71E445FE-A4F9-4890-98E0-D50C343E3A97.jpeg

I've always assumed the pinhole is crude means of dealing with the tendency of the float valve to stick and flood the carb; without the pinhole the manifold would fill up and drown the engine. With it a flooded engine can be left to drain for half an hour and then driven(at speed to keep the fuel under control) to somewhere the valve can be blown out or changed.

3 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

I've always assumed the pinhole is crude means of dealing with the tendency of the float valve to stick and flood the carb; without the pinhole the manifold would fill up and drown the engine. With it a flooded engine can be left to drain for half an hour and then driven(at speed to keep the fuel under control) to somewhere the valve can be blown out or changed.

Manifold drains like this are not unusual on older cars, I can think of some other examples.   The function is mainly to clear flooding due to over-use of the choke.   They work alright and do not admit enough air to affect normal running, so nothing to worry about really.

34 minutes ago, Lankytim said:

After careful Christmas budgeting I've finally pulled the trigger on these brake parts from "onlinecarparts.co.uk" (soz kids, crap presents this year) The reviews are mixed with some reporting parts taking over a month to appear, incorrect parts being substituted for parts that are suddenly out of stock and a protracted returns procedure seemingly designed to discourage customers from returning faulty or incorrect parts. There are many happy customers however, so fingers crossed!

If you want to get stuck in I have a spare new master cylinder can post to you  and a few other brake bits. 

9 minutes ago, Jimblob said:

If you want to get stuck in I have a spare new master cylinder can post to you  and a few other brake bits. 

Thanks for the offer, hopefully these parts will arrive in good time, not that I'm in any particular rush

4 hours ago, Lankytim said:

I can confirm the awful returns procedure- onlinecarparts is another face of autodoc. I've had a mare getting a refund on HT leads that split on my 205- had to resort to emailing their publicity people & CEO as the staff did everything they could to avoid the refund.

Fingers-crossed you get the right parts and in good time.

6 minutes ago, MrSteve said:

I can confirm the awful returns procedure- onlinecarparts is another face of autodoc. I've had a mare getting a refund on HT leads that split on my 205- had to resort to emailing their publicity people & CEO as the staff did everything they could to avoid the refund.

Fingers-crossed you get the right parts and in good time.

I was going to pay with a credit card for this reason but opted for PayPal in the end. Hopefully they will offer me some level of protection if things go tits up. 

There’s been absolutely zero update with the dispatch of these parts, only that they’ve received payment. Hopefully that’s nothing to be too worried about.

In other news, I found this fuel pump that was liberated by me from some place I used to work at (I can’t think where). It works fine and should do as a replacement for the mechanical pump… unless anyone can think of a reason it won’t be suitable? Will it overfill the carb and spray fuel all over the place? 

05DBA68F-2761-41AB-AFB5-B663078F2FA5.jpeg