New shitter. 1982 Citroen VISA.

Lankytim

41 minutes ago, Jimblob said:

Hi Tim, great to see the progress, as you know I have an identical car same colour, year and everything!
Interesting to see your polishing progress... Mine needs this too (and more critically at the moment, a fuel tank leak fixing and CV boots replacing... All happening soon!!)
Unfortunately I'm not nearby (pe28) but you'd be very welcome to bring your car to mine and swap bits out to diagnose yours until it's running... Have you checked fuel pump?
Have also needed to overhaul brakes (I replaced both calipers and rear cylinders, and some of the brake lines).
Hoping we get the 2 cars together at a Citroen show!
Jamie

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I should have someone prepared to send me all the bits I need, but it's slow going as he doesn't reply to emails for a month or so but I'm hopeful I should be able to get the bottom of things eventually, thanks for the offer though! The fuel pump appears to be working fine and there's plenty of petrol getting though. The brakes have needed new cylinders and shoes at the rear, the front calipers look saveable but need a little more freeing up. I couldn't find new calipers, where did you get yours from? 

And yes, I'm looking forward to getting these two together!

I should have someone prepared to send me all the bits I need, but it's slow going as he doesn't reply to emails for a month or so but I'm hopeful I should be able to get the bottom of things eventually, thanks for the offer though! The fuel pump appears to be working fine and there's plenty of petrol getting though. The brakes have needed new cylinders and shoes at the rear, the front calipers look saveable but need a little more freeing up. I couldn't find new calipers, where did you get yours from? 

And yes, I'm looking forward to getting these two together!
I got ABS brand from autodoc. No issues and I reckon worth the money with new flex hoses. 475df7aa358031ac3beb2f89f53b610a.jpg

32 minutes ago, greengartside said:

That’s come up lovely. I may just pop in and buy one of those polishers as I’ve been after one for months.

I was in two minds but I’m glad I did. It takes a whole lot of elbow work out of the job. 

On 3/17/2021 at 9:40 PM, Jimblob said:

I got ABS brand from autodoc. No issues and I reckon worth the money with new flex hoses. 475df7aa358031ac3beb2f89f53b610a.jpg

I've looked at the AUTODOC site and one side comes up as out of stock, plus did you need to return your original calipers to refurb?

On 3/18/2021 at 6:21 PM, artdjones said:

Did you see the 10 tooth starter on Autodoc I linked to above?

I can't see a link? I *might* be sorted for a good used one, but time will tell. 

In other news, I spotted this on ebay- wtf? 

Image 1 - CITROEN-Visa-II-Quick-hamburger-tray-liner-very-rare

I’ve noticed the interior on this crock is really letting it down, the seat covers especially have become very brittle and tear very easily and the whole thing looks a bit of mess. I have a set of leathers from a  Volvo S80 and I had a bit of a play to see if I could make them fit. 

The Visa seat runners are removable and with the “chassis” of the Volvo seat removed  they seem to more or less line up. I need to fabricate a few right angle brackets and the whole lot should bolt together and in reasonably easily.  That will be a project for another day, so for the mean time the original seat has been bolted back In. 

8B8AFB8B-E0BA-48D6-9EA1-CDDA03B42263.jpeg

544B2B19-6582-4EC8-9E5C-EC224A64BDC6.jpeg

9699BE97-4528-42E0-A3AC-41157B3AB96E.jpeg

Interesting solution to the seat problem! I put some cheap vinyl covers over mine to get them usable but am considering getting them reupholstered... I like the original brown-ness. Not sure I can justify the cost though. The covers I have are a tan brown, not very nice, I'd like that deep 70s brown colour really, and cloth not vinyl.
Re. Brake calipers I did have to return the old ones.
Have you seen /used the microfiches that Mike Harker has provided, they are helpful for figuring out part numbers (no search function though)

32 minutes ago, Jimblob said:

Interesting solution to the seat problem! I put some cheap vinyl covers over mine to get them usable but am considering getting them reupholstered... I like the original brown-ness. Not sure I can justify the cost though. The covers I have are a tan brown, not very nice, I'd like that deep 70s brown colour really, and cloth not vinyl.
Re. Brake calipers I did have to return the old ones.
Have you seen /used the microfiches that Mike Harker has provided, they are helpful for figuring out part numbers (no search function though)

I'd really like to keep the original interor, or replace it with a good used interior but the originals I have are shot and replacements are like the proverbial hens teeth. The S80 interior I have is destined for the tip and is in a light colour to sort-of matches the rest of the interior, I'm pretty much just seeing how easy it is to adapt. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the rears yet!

I haven't seen these microfiches, they sound pretty interesting.

I'd really like to keep the original interor, or replace it with a good used interior but the originals I have are shot and replacements are like the proverbial hens teeth. The S80 interior I have is destined for the tip and is in a light colour to sort-of matches the rest of the interior, I'm pretty much just seeing how easy it is to adapt. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the rears yet!
I haven't seen these microfiches, they sound pretty interesting.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/visaforum/technical-data-f27/&share_sfid=27&share_fid=1921000&share_type=sf

On the Citroen Visa forum

1 hour ago, Lankytim said:

I’ve noticed the interior on this crock is really letting it down, the seat covers especially have become very brittle and tear very easily and the whole thing looks a bit of mess. I have a set of leathers from a  Volvo S80 and I had a bit of a play to see if I could make them fit. 

The Visa seat runners are removable and with the “chassis” of the Volvo seat removed  they seem to more or less line up. I need to fabricate a few right angle brackets and the whole lot should bolt together and in reasonably easily.  That will be a project for another day, so for the mean time the original seat has been bolted back In. 

8B8AFB8B-E0BA-48D6-9EA1-CDDA03B42263.jpeg

544B2B19-6582-4EC8-9E5C-EC224A64BDC6.jpeg

9699BE97-4528-42E0-A3AC-41157B3AB96E.jpeg

All Visa seats let their cars down, but a set of covers tidy it up.

DSCN5437 broad.jpg

Just look how shite this seat looks. Dreadful. 

Anyway..

I’ve found a small leak into the interior, annoying as I thought I’d totally eradicated them all.  The storage bin directly in front of the gear stick seems to fill up with water, it’s directly below the centre heater vent and the heater pipes under the bonnet are missing so I’m wondering if water is entering the cabin via these open ducts. It certainly stands chance. 

The storage bin is pretty small and the only way to bale out the water was via a miniature bucket which I may keep in the car for possible future baling adventures! 

C9832792-D3B0-45A4-9EBF-CC65DAD133D6.jpeg

4657F695-76F8-4794-BF88-DE3AA167D569.jpeg

96C039F6-2383-461A-A09C-BF0F5CCEC35D.jpeg

Hmm.  Early 80s Citroen seat fabrics letting the side down.  That seems familiar.

IMG_20210220_161456.thumb.jpg.8b104853d7b64798b29875a1a1286908.jpg

Still trying to decide what to do about these myself.  Seats here are deeply sculpted enough that seat covers never sit right so look awful, at least those on the Visa are a more conventional shape.

Covers can make a big positive difference though, really helped out in my last Skoda Estelle which had the usual disintegrating cloth issue.  Kicked myself for taking a year and a half to decide to fit them.

Hmm.  Early 80s Citroen seat fabrics letting the side down.  That seems familiar.
Still trying to decide what to do about these myself.  Seats here are deeply sculpted enough that seat covers never sit right so look awful, at least those on the Visa are a more conventional shape.
Covers can make a big positive difference though, really helped out in my last Skoda Estelle which had the usual disintegrating cloth issue.  Kicked myself for taking a year and a half to decide to fit them.
Would love to try a Skoda Estelle, my Dad had loads of them in the 80s (and s110 and 130 Rapid)
Seats were good in the later Skodas!
Quality of seat covers seems very variable.

12 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

There is a set of free later seats on BX Club. They are GTi and dark so not the best colour match.

I put later TRS (tweedy wool) in my BX Mk. 1 and as they were a light colour they matched the light grey interior very nicely. 

I had a go at finishing off the cutting and polishing but ran out of T Cut, I’ve still made an improvement. I’d forgotten how much fun cutting and polishing can be, it can really bring an old crock back to life. I’ve ordered some G10 and G3 to give it another going over and perhaps polish up the rest of the fleet. The wife’s Fusion has been “furloughed” for the last 6 months and is returning to the road at the end of the month, it would be nice to treat it, hopefully I won’t go overboard and take all the lacquer/paint off or something. 

Ive also found where the water is entering the cabin! The exposed heater inlet where the pipes from the heat exchangers are indeed letting water in where it drips off the scuttle. Easily remedied by replacing the pipes. 

DB12732B-F147-403F-9407-3C948A3FDB08.jpeg

8B23DF75-5300-4BBB-B5BD-EF658B852EAD.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Hi Tim inspired by your results I've T-cut mine and it's done wonders. Also I spotted a Haynes manual on eBay in case you want one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-Visa-1979-to-1982-652-1124-1219cc-All-Models-Haynes-Workshop-Manual-/384116232572?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Getting anywhere with getting it running yet?950fae575f0436b70cc94739b7edb936.jpg

Sent from my SM-M315F using Tapatalk

On 2/28/2021 at 8:10 AM, Angrydicky said:

Hey Scott @barrett , my mate also has a Visa and (without wishing to tread on Tim’s toes) he needs some parts too. Definitely needs a carb, at least one wheel centre cap and a side repeater. 

Sorry the thread hijack. I forgot to say, was @dollywobbler right when he said these were used on other vehicles? If not I had a look in my garage and definitely have 1 of these (I thought I had more) so can send it on if its needed? 

1 hour ago, HillmanImp said:

Sorry the thread hijack. I forgot to say, was @dollywobbler right when he said these were used on other vehicles? If not I had a look in my garage and definitely have 1 of these (I thought I had more) so can send it on if its needed? 

Ooh, funnily enough I did have a peak in my box of bits and there is a side repeater in there. Also what looks like an alternator and a couple of rear lamps for a prefacelift model. Happy to send the flasher on @Angrydicky if yer man still needs it

3 hours ago, Jimblob said:

Getting anywhere with getting it running yet?950fae575f0436b70cc94739b7edb936.jpg

Sent from my SM-M315F using Tapatalk

I’m still stumped by a lack of parts unfortunately. Ken Hanna said he can supply me with a starter and sensors but I haven’t heard off him for a while. 

7 hours ago, Lankytim said:

I’m still stumped by a lack of parts unfortunately. Ken Hanna said he can supply me with a starter and sensors but I haven’t heard off him for a while. 

I messaged Ken when I started on mine last year, a helpful first response and then he went quiet!  Here are the 3 microfiches for parts from Mike Harker if it helps, I've found it useful but you have to take your time with it, it's not easy to search! There are a couple of starter motors on ebay but need to check if for the 652cc, I expect it's the same as a 2CV starter.

There is someone selling a sensor on ebay (search for 75491750) but they're taking the p with the price for it unfortunately. It's easy to check if the sensors are working with a multimeter, the Haynes manual describes the process (I can scan it for you if needed)

15 hours ago, Jimblob said:

I messaged Ken when I started on mine last year, a helpful first response and then he went quiet!  Here are the 3 microfiches for parts from Mike Harker if it helps, I've found it useful but you have to take your time with it, it's not easy to search! There are a couple of starter motors on ebay but need to check if for the 652cc, I expect it's the same as a 2CV starter.

There is someone selling a sensor on ebay (search for 75491750) but they're taking the p with the price for it unfortunately. It's easy to check if the sensors are working with a multimeter, the Haynes manual describes the process (I can scan it for you if needed)

I've already tested the sensors by using the Haynes manual procedure- They both appear to be knackered. The starter is visually identical to a 2CV starter but the 2CV pinion has 9 teeth and the Visa has 10, It bolts on but obviously doesn't sound very good at all, annoying as the 2CV starter is cheap and plentiful. If I still had the original I could maybe find a 2CV starter from the same manufacturer and cobble something together but thanks to the absolute fuckwits at the motor factors this is now impossible. 

• 2 weeks later...