New shitter. 1982 Citroen VISA.

Lankytim

1 hour ago, barrett said:

What happened to the Pignose that was in that terrible accident recently and got broken for parts? There must be a set of wheels with decent tyres from that, somewhere

It was bought by a Citroen (mainly a series) enthusiast. His name will come to me and I will add it. 

yes it has come to me now Michael Warwick.

I used Tippers to make up the new plates for TPA and was really impressed with both the service and product.

https://www.tippersvintageplates.co.uk/

IMG_20190918_173857.thumb.jpg.050a461a663e66dd7c1aa989260d96a7.jpg

No connection other than as a satisfied customer.

They do the acrylic style you'll be after too, this is just an example I have to hand of one of their products.

I'm sure I recall reading that they could replicate most original dealer plates etc so long as a good reference was available.

9 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

It was bought by a Citroen (mainly a series) enthusiast. His name will come to me and I will add it. 

yes it has come to me now Michael Warwick.

There's a road rest of that car on you tube, it looked to be a real peach. Looked to have had a nasty smash on the drivers side, such a shame, a great source of parts for someone though.

21 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

I used Tippers to make up the new plates for TPA and was really impressed with both the service and product.

https://www.tippersvintageplates.co.uk/

Agree that Tippers (and Framptons) are good too but a bit more faff than FancyPlates, with printing off order forms and copies of V5, ID docs etc.  I’ve used Tippers as well for metal plates but not for acrylics.

FancyPlates operate out of Belgium (?) so get round the docs requirements, for good or ill, while that lasts.  You may prefer to buy British of course.

Edit: Ireland, not Belgium - thanks to Tadhg Tiogr for the correction below.

Only 2 off, and €305 delivered (possibly) but apparently the same alloys but in 6 x 13 flavour.
https://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_auto/1707789212.htm/
Or https://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_auto/1379268455.htm/

note I only looked in Brittany.

Also, fwoar! bet this goes like stink: https://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/1704504441.htm/

We are back and forth into dept 22, 22800 actually so if you find something that way drop me a line.

Only 2 off, and €305 delivered (possibly) but apparently the same alloys but in 6 x 13 flavour.
https://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_auto/1707789212.htm/
Or https://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_auto/1379268455.htm/

note I only looked in Brittany.

Also, fwoar! bet this goes like stink: https://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/1704504441.htm/

We are back and forth into dept 22, 22800 actually so if you find something that way drop me a line.

5 minutes ago, bangernomics said:

Cool, me Mum & Dad are 30 mins from you: Le Loc'h, Peumerit Quintin.

Sorry for diversion Lankytim, but the same offer was implied.  If you find something in this area of Brittany my parents might be able to help or at least store.  They do go up to Newcastle under Lime twice a year to see my brother but the car is usually filled with cheap plonk.

7 hours ago, Lankytim said:

There's a road rest of that car on you tube, it looked to be a real peach. Looked to have had a nasty smash on the drivers side, such a shame, a great source of parts for someone though.

It was lovely and I met it a couple of times and got photos with my Visas. This one was 2CV Registers Day, I took my Visa Twin because my 2CV had binding brakes.

I bought it damaged for spares, but then was offered a Visa II for spares which was better for me so sold it. 

20160717_161536.jpg

Cool, me Mum & Dad are 30 mins from you: Le Loc'h, Peumerit Quintin.
Sorry for diversion Lankytim, but the same offer was implied.  If you find something in this area of Brittany my parents might be able to help or at least store.  They do go up to Newcastle under Lime twice a year to see my brother but the car is usually filled with cheap plonk.

Yes Brittany Ferries £100 for 6 cases is getting to be a habit for us. We are in Saint-Gildas about 10 minutes from Quintin

Continuing the work on the arse end of this Citroen I braved the cold and had a crack at removing the fuel tank. 

The tank is a doddle to remove, three bolts and a couple of screws for the filler neck, none of which were seized. Bliss!

With the tank removed it was easy to pour the 15 or so litres of piss coloured stale petrol into a suitable container. The top of the tank showed a little corrosion so a wire brush and tin of hammerite were brought into play.

a breather pipe had perished to death so was replaced before the whole lot was bolted back into place, remembering to reconnect the single wire to the sender. The fuel feed pipe had softened to liquorice so will need replacement. 

One spot of rot was noticed under the boot catch but it should be easily repairable and the area is well hidden. 

So far this is proving to be a very enjoyable project, I can’t wait to replace the fuel pipe, chuck some petrol in and fire it up! 

B5D5299C-2287-4414-B9D4-6F687F60515A.jpeg

078DB88B-4566-47BB-983D-B42CFF7E29CE.jpeg

6519AF49-F451-470F-91ED-7EAF4AA874BE.jpeg

I'm still casually looking around for replacement plates, the only place that seems to match the original font exactly is a company called Platesforcars who appear to be based in the republic of Ireland and have a terrible score on Trustpilot so I might give them a miss. Unfortunately, due to a recent emergency parts purchase for my V70 buying stuff for the Visa has taken a back seat for the time being.

Here's the plate from PFC, note how the middle of the W is as high as the ends and the bottom of the G is square on the right side. 

fimpD4g84e.jpg

There's a company on eBay making self adhesive 3mm thick plastic numbers/letters for number plates. Tucked away in the garage I've got a box of old number plates including some old late '70s white and yellow jobbies with separate plastic digits, maybe I could make up my own "period" plates, i've no idea how'd they look (probably shite) but it's a thought- A pair of plates would set me back £14 or so.  I think the self adhesive plastic digits are only available in a post 2001 font so the whole lash up might look interesting. 

10 hours ago, HillmanImp said:

If you're still looking for some wheels I've got a load of em behind my shed. Might not be in much better condition than the ones you have but I can drag them out if you want? 

I could use a set to blast and paint if you can find a half decent set of 4?

Up early today to play with the Visa before we all go off to see Frozen 2 “Olaf goes ape with a machine gun”!

With the front up in the air I removed the front wheels to get at the seized brake calipers. Both were covered in cobwebs and crap but looked alright, certainly much better than what I’m used to seeing when I’m dealing with difficult calipers. 

The calipers are a two pot alloy affair (like the engine) and looked pretty snazzy after I’d cleaned them up with a wire brush.

I couldn’t lever the pistons back so removed the pads and then the whole calipers and used brute force to push them back (in this case, a vice) all the pistons popped free and seem to be moving ok now although I haven’t had time to bleed and test them out.  If they don’t work satisfactorily I’ll have to do things properly and remove the pistons and clean everything up. Fingers crossed!

I did find some more rust, probably the most serious so far, the bottom of the chassis rail on the OSF is rotten due to water sitting inside it but it looks to be an easy repair with lots of access. 

Oh, and I spotted a HUBNUT sticker on the way to the cinema! What a day already! 

199DA29D-A50B-42C5-B3D4-691B53B59A20.jpeg

E9DD56CB-A87D-47AB-A3D7-DF053DBBB0B0.jpeg

CCE9E7A0-E8FA-410C-B2C0-0879DB169174.jpeg

7E215AB4-035A-4FBA-B455-BB46A2CDFF1B.jpeg

634A0B6C-20D8-4274-802F-4E76BEF0A8E7.jpeg

Up early today to play with the Visa before we all go off to see Frozen 2 “Olaf goes ape with a machine gun”!

With the front up in the air I removed the front wheels to get at the seized brake calipers. Both were covered in cobwebs and crap but looked alright, certainly much better than what I’m used to seeing when I’m dealing with difficult calipers. 

The calipers are a two pot alloy affair (like the engine) and looked pretty snazzy after I’d cleaned them up with a wire brush.
I couldn’t lever the pistons back so removed the pads and then the whole calipers and used brute force to push them back (in this case, a vice) all the pistons popped free and seem to be moving ok now although I haven’t had time to bleed and test them out.  If they don’t work satisfactorily I’ll have to do things properly and remove the pistons and clean everything up. Fingers crossed!
I did find some more rust, probably the most serious so far, the bottom of the chassis rail on the OSF is rotten due to water sitting inside it but it looks to be an easy repair with lots of access. 

Oh, and I spotted a HUBNUT sticker on the way to the cinema! What a day already! 

199DA29D-A50B-42C5-B3D4-691B53B59A20.thumb.jpeg.ee54262c762798ce9b3e6dfbc200931d.jpeg
E9DD56CB-A87D-47AB-A3D7-DF053DBBB0B0.thumb.jpeg.0a8649dd9f4d2ad5592223fcb8d09df7.jpeg
CCE9E7A0-E8FA-410C-B2C0-0879DB169174.thumb.jpeg.9fdf6367ec19669524560682f9c2dea1.jpeg
7E215AB4-035A-4FBA-B455-BB46A2CDFF1B.thumb.jpeg.ed9296b7ec5d7dc8d6c786dd0ba1ec3e.jpeg
634A0B6C-20D8-4274-802F-4E76BEF0A8E7.thumb.jpeg.7135b0725b52dfbe7206450eb5e501db.jpeg
I saw that a few weeks ago near Chesterton.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Moved this off the drive to fix my Volvo and wound the passenger front window down to allow it to "air" a bit, The glass upended itself and fell to the bottom of the door! Taking the door panel off showed that the track the winder mechanism fits into on the bottom of the window glass has corroded at both ends meaning once the window goes down more than half way the rollers pop out and the glass falls down. Luckily there's still about a million C15s being broken up so a new piece of glass shouldn't be too difficult to find.