New shitter. 1982 Citroen VISA.

Lankytim

2 hours ago, Matts_Rusty_Bus said:

Also if you drill out the rivets on the vin you could be able to read the numbers from the back*

* dependant on it being stamped

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

The alloy VIN plate has started to corrode away. I can’t make out a few digits but if it’s stamped somewhere else then it shouldn’t be too much of an issue. 

40C15BB2-61C3-4857-9ECE-982F583BF9BF.jpeg

For the VIN plate, other than asking @LightBulbFun nicely and perhaps sending him a small donation to the cause of reseaching Invalid Cars on the DVLA database, you could do one of these, to make the unreadable readable:

1. Tape a piece of paper over the VIN plate and use a soft pencil to rub over it as if you were doing a brass rubbing, to pick up the detail of the raised lettering

2. Brush a thick wash of black poster paint over the VIN plate (i.e. water-based paint to wash off easily afterwards) and when it is dry, use a very very fine sandpaper on a flat block to take the paint off the raised lettering and give you the 'silver on black' contrast to read the letters more easily

3. Use a pen or ink roller to trace the raised lettering to give a 'dark over silver' contrast as (2)

I have had success with all these methods in the past.

4 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

For the VIN plate, other than asking @LightBulbFun nicely and perhaps sending him a small donation to the cause of reseaching Invalid Cars on the DVLA database, you could do one of these, to make the unreadable readable:

haha when I saw that the VIN was being difficult to read I was wondering how long until someone tagged me :) 

dont worry I would of stepped in eventually regardless of someone tagging me! 

and with that @Lankytim a PM has been sent :)

as a side note, as everyone else has said , a very nice save :) I saw it on the ebay tat thread, and happy to see it ended up in the fold :) 

The headlights on carparts4less don’t have free delivery for some reason but I can get the same items from them with free delivery via eBay. 

I may hold fire on the headlights as on closer inspection the originals have gone a bronzy colour rather than actually corroding, like mk1 Mondeos used to go. I seem to remember methylated spirits being used to restore the silver finish on them so may give that a go on these reflectors before splashing out. 

Spent a couple of hours on this today and decided to take a look at the OSR brake as it was sticking on with the handbrake and sometimes does half a turn before jamming up.

the whole lot was wet and manky, the brake linings having parted company with the shoes. Urgh!

luckily the spares stash provided a pair of shoes and a wheel cylinder. Although I’ve got a pair of new drums I elected to reuse the original as it cleaned up ok, had no visible wear and I didn’t fancy trying to get the bearings out to reuse them in the new drum.

Everything  bled up OK and I now have fully functioning rear brakes and handbrake. The front callipers both need a wallop with a lump hammer to release but they may free off with a strip down and clean. 

This Visa shows signs of an enthusiast previous owner and I’m finding a few new parts already fitted, copper brake pipes and lashings of waxoyl. 

Unfortunately that’s as far as I’ve got as dismal weather and a cold stopped play. 

Cant wait to get the tank cleaned out as the next step should be getting it running and driving! 

54C9B2A9-AEE9-4F27-9B8A-7B66531712EC.jpeg

AE94092E-BF31-4A0D-B573-E3E6B58583C4.jpeg

Gah, didn't see they were metric, soz. They'll not only be expensive to sort tyres for as you said, but I bet sealing them will be the stuff of nightmares.

And what’s worse, the tyres available in metric sizes are very old fashioned and only ever made in very small batches now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only 2 off, and €305 delivered (possibly) but apparently the same alloys but in 6 x 13 flavour.

https://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_auto/1707789212.htm/

Or https://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_auto/1379268455.htm/

note I only looked in Brittany.

Also, fwoar! bet this goes like stink: https://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/1704504441.htm/

What is it with PSA cars dropping brake shoe linings?  My 306 did exactly the same, twice.

Worth seeing if it will run from a can maybe, give you some idea what state the carb is in.  I'd probably be expecting it to want a proper strip down and clean...not doing that is just asking to be driving around niggly issues with it for ages.

I've an ultrasonic cleaner here and would be happy to give it a strip down and a good old soak in there if it's helpful.  I wound up kicking myself for not doing this when recommissioning the Invacar as while I got it going cleaning the carb on the car, it kept getting clogged up jets again within a few miles of use... actually wasted more time messing around with it than it would have taken me to just pull it off and clean it properly in the first place.  So lesson learned for me there.

Also I'd be planning on just binning all the original fuel lines (metal ones excepted if they're in good shape) now as *all* pump fuels now have a minimum 5% ethanol content, which doesn't play nicely with a lot of old hoses etc.

Any fuel lines I'm fitting these days are A1 Marine Grade hoses... they're a bit more expensive, but are resistant to everything this side of a direct nuclear strike and should be a proper "fit and forget" solution.

Several times now I've had lines from motor factors (Halfords among them) start perishing less than six months after fitting...so it's just not worth the risk I reckon.  These were all lines with a pretty recent production date too, so not just ancient stock.

Several times now I've had lines from motor factors (Halfords among them) start perishing less than six months after fitting

None of the Halfords round here even stock fuel hose anymore, they are even phasing out carrying filters.
All the other stuff you say about fuel hose and e85 etc I totally agree with. Modern fuel is total carp for them.

I agree, Halfords are shite for everything now apart from their tools.

Very much agree, I’ve got the big set of professional range sockets - and I work for a certain American tool company, yet I bought Halfords stuff with my own moneys

I have a Halfords 1/2" socket set that must be over 30 years old now and it's still going strong. Back then of course you could waltz in and ask for a couple of Hardy Spicer universal joints for a Triumph Herald propshaft and they had a box full of them in stock...

Another thing that I’ve nearly forgotten about, both the number plates have gone all funny and need replacing. I could get a set made up fairly easily but the font would be incorrect for the period, can anyone recommend me a place that makes the “correct” plates? 

5 hours ago, Lankytim said:

Another thing that I’ve nearly forgotten about, both the number plates have gone all funny and need replacing. I could get a set made up fairly easily but the font would be incorrect for the period, can anyone recommend me a place that makes the “correct” plates? 

I’ve used these people in the past. Did a good job.

https://www.fancyplates.com/main/constructors/information/uk_pre2001.aspx

As seen here on what is now 320Touring’s better half’s Golf:4C2C4B6C-3CFE-4E0F-98A2-ABAC9E3584E1.thumb.jpeg.e1e464e8066a4f0cc4eeee2bf2578376.jpeg

The border line is optional and there are a couple of slightly different font variants, as in period.