New shitter. 1982 Citroen VISA.

Lankytim

I've had a brief play with this VISA. First of all, I found the keys in the ash tray, what a result! I wasn't looking forward to replacing the locks or paying for a replacement set of keys. Two of the doors wouldn't close as the catch mechanisms had seized up, after removal, cleaning and lubrication they slowly came back to life.   No nasty surprises so far when it comes to the bodywork- The shell appears not to need any welding apart from a very small piece on the leading edge of the passenger sill which may/may not survive a screwdriver test, the worst area is perhaps the bulkhead where the spare wheel sits and even that isn't too bad. 

The only panels which deffo need repair or preferably replacement are both the rear doors which are rotten at the bottom edge. 

The VISA came with a very dead battery. After finding a good one I found all the electrical systems were dead, a small multi plug was disconnected under the bonnet and with that plugged back in we suddenly had lights, wiper and even a radio! The engine was fortunately not seized and after checking the oil I found it would turn over quite happily on the starter. A split fuel pipe prevented it running but it will briefly run with petrol poured down the carb, the clutch also works fine.

I feel very lucky at this stage as I had convinced myself the engine was seized and would need replacement, fingers crossed it won't need any major surgery at all. 

I'm building up a short shopping list of parts needed to get this on the road, so far I'm going to need....

A set of tyres, maybe with wheels too as one or two of the rims are very rusty and may not be usable,

A pair of headlights, the existing headlights have lost all their mirrored finish and the glass has fallen off one of them. If there's a way or replacing the mirrored finish I could repair them but I suspect replacement is going to be the most straightforward option.

A pair of rear doors, the ones I have are pretty crunchy and although they might repair, I think replacement is going to be easier. 

The car is still absolutely covered with shite and tree debris, especially under the bonnet. I may A frame the thing to the local jet wash and spend a tenner on giving it a good scrub down. 

1 hour ago, Lankytim said:

.....the existing headlights have lost all their mirrored finish and the glass has fallen off one of them. If there's a way or replacing the mirrored finish I could repair them....

There is, but to have them "re-silvered" properly costs a small fortune, and not many firms will touch a plastic reflector bowl. I was quoted £250 + VAT to do the bi-optic reflectors (both plastic) on the CX, and that's just for the offside.

Alternatively, if you're handy with a rattle can of chrome spray paint, then a low-cost short-term solution presents itself. Several coats of that stuff should then be able to withstand a decent polishing.

For the rims, could they not be rescued by dunking them in a bath of FE-123 or whatever Bilt Hamber produce for jobs like that?

I’ve heard people having good results by sticking bacofoil onto headlight reflectors to make them shiny again. perhaps worth a try. 

A couple of the rims are so corroded the valves are in danger of popping out. I think they’re beyond help realistically.

I forgot to add the photos of it coming home, I didn’t A frame it in the end, the guy had just bought a Eurocargo recovery truck and was dying to test it out, he delivered it the couple of miles back home for free! Top fella. 

The boot contained a big box of spares, mostly brake parts and filters which will come in very handy, included was a spare NEW hubcap. I’m tempted to replace all the hubcaps for chrome items as I prefer the look of those, I’m not sure on the availability of them though. 

6599A298-707A-4F72-B96F-233E55044722.jpeg

9B213685-DBD2-46B6-8CFF-137C0A63FC99.jpeg

D4E335FC-543A-4745-9A76-48686E425F0E.jpeg

F45B6EDD-27A1-46C3-86A4-FC2495B97D5A.jpeg

C256DBC2-11C0-4F11-BF57-9A1A829FECF4.jpeg

43C5071A-A238-4F72-97D3-37663D450C56.jpeg

76D52403-ADC6-4CC7-A5A2-409FB454DDC5.jpeg

D78B33EA-E40B-43C2-AEF6-E4821AB5E210.jpeg

343ED09B-CCD6-41F6-8CDD-EA62A04FCCAA.jpeg

6EE78439-0B8A-46B4-B235-6C50F53F7B96.jpeg

DA9F2865-0EBC-4D3D-94B8-DD763D075171.jpeg

E72FCA41-B3A2-4D00-A34C-60F013B6147B.jpeg

D0648DDC-9D49-4535-819F-1FBB87E6193B.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Lankytim said:

I’ve heard people having good results by sticking bacofoil onto headlight reflectors to make them shiny again. perhaps worth a try. .....

Kitchen foil is fragile stuff and easily crumpled / torn. I used it for the tail light clusters in my 635CSi years ago, and whilst there was a slight improvement, it wasn't a long-term answer.

5 hours ago, Lankytim said:

The car is still absolutely covered with shite and tree debris, especially under the bonnet. I may A frame the thing to the local jet wash and spend a tenner on giving it a good scrub down. 

Video please when you jet wash...love a good jet wash vid!!!

3 minutes ago, bezzabsa said:

Video please when you jet wash...love a good jet wash vid!!!

Sorry, I didn’t take a vid but I did take a photo!

its looking much better, the door shuts have all had a nice wipe down but the whole lot is begging for a cut and polish. 

I did find a little rot though, the inner wing below the drivers side headlight will need a patch but nothing too drastic.  

the inner wings near the bulkhead were covered in damp mulch which was jetted away quite nicely. The areas appear totally solid but the VIN plate has corrosion and I’m not sure I’ll be able to read the VIN number to get a new V5c!

FA891566-FA52-49B5-9174-55236EDC0626.jpeg

EF88C9ED-11AA-4810-A245-370116011FFD.jpeg

2ABEFA00-AA0E-4A4E-8119-212DD4C29EA0.jpeg

E84D730A-37A2-49C6-BEC4-43D9BC6EF3B1.jpeg

BF02302A-6D6B-41B8-89FC-BEF612AF6B60.jpeg

4613696F-2043-42D7-AC2A-3FD7A70D576E.jpeg

86C1B981-139F-4D31-B99C-168492B87A86.jpeg

Am I right in saying the wheels are the same as 2cv/dyane/mehari? Just with some venting? 

Ecas and other suppliers do 2cv or ami super wheels (vented) for £55 and £75 respectively. Perhaps you could get away with replacing just a pair? They're only in Stafford too.

So are these inboard brakes too?

2 hours ago, shedenvy said:

Am I right in saying the wheels are the same as 2cv/dyane/mehari? Just with some venting? 

Ecas and other suppliers do 2cv or ami super wheels (vented) for £55 and £75 respectively. Perhaps you could get away with replacing just a pair? They're only in Stafford too.

No they’re rather smaller than 2cv wheels and interestingly although they use what is basically a GS gearbox they have outboard brakes.

It's just getting better, what with finding the keys etc. Are the wheels the same as an AX? Might be a bit easier to find, if so.

No, they are not. I found this out after buying an AX wheel and finding it wouldn’t fit my visa. But I was young and stupid back then. Now I’m old and stupid, as a fellow visa owner I have to say well done on this beige beauty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, shedenvy said:

5 hours ago, jonathan_dyane said:

No they’re rather smaller than 2cv wheels and interestingly although they use what is basically a GS gearbox they have outboard brakes.

I think Visa 3-stud wheels are the same as Peugeot 104, 4.5 J 13 with a 3 x 115 mm stud  spacing  if my brain is correct.

4 hours ago, nigel bickle said:

How did you reverse. A frame that into the wash?   Bet that was fun!

It went in OK, if you stay more or less in a straight line I find you can reverse A framed vehicles reasonably well. I often reverse the A down our long shared driveway.  Some cars simply refuse to be reversed and immediately go to full lock which can be annoying.