Abandoned E46

cpjitservices

Hi all

Top of my road there is an abandoned 54 plate E46 looks in decent condition too - no MOT and no TAX. MOT history is fairly clean!

The car has not moved for around 6 months! Windows are smahsed and tyres are flat! I have knoecked on some doors - Same story - Neighbours did a moonlihgt as they where illegal immigrants (apparently) and where seen smahing the windows and shouting something about lost keys! That was the last time the owners where seen! 

Its a long shot! But how do I get hold of this fine vehicle - yes there are no keys and no owner to be found - but im sure there must be a way!

Thanks

Will get better pics later!

bmw.jpg

1 minute ago, robthedonkey said:

Apply for V5... Dvla will send a letter to previous registered keeper if no objection after 14 days you will receive v5

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

OK cool, What about the no keys situation!? How does one apply for a logbook without the original - I think there is something like a £25 fee involved!

2 minutes ago, cpjitservices said:

I guess first task after getting V5 would be to Sorn it!

No, the first task would be to weigh it in. It's a manky 320d with over 200k on it with broken windows and no keys. If it had anything going for it, the previous owner would have done something with it, not just left it. 

12 minutes ago, robthedonkey said:

Apply for V5... Dvla will send a letter to previous registered keeper if no objection after 14 days you will receive v5

so they do send a letter to the previous keepers then?

I sort of feel bad the grandkids when they get a letter from the DVLA about someone applying for the V5 for their grandparents Model 70! LOL

or being a 90 year old and suddenly getting such a letter through the door about the Model 70 you gave back in 1988 LOL

1 minute ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

No, the first task would be to weigh it in. It's a manky 320d with over 200k on it with broken windows and no keys. If it had anything going for it, the previous owner would have done something with it, not just left it. 

Well I sort of feel bad for it. 

Inside its immaculate and the arches etc look fine!

1 minute ago, Daviedv said:

You can apply for a v5, but all that will do is make you the registered ''keeper''. you wont own the car, and if the real owner shows up, your in the shit as you have technically 'stolen' it.

I have called DVLA and Council, council say they are going to put a removal notice on it which takes 14 days if no one comes forward it will then be a furhter 14 day investigation to why its been abandoned and contact the owner, if they find the vehicle is abandoned then they will remove! 

At this point there is nothing that can be done anyway as it will go straight to scrap yard if no one (the legal owner) doe snot claim the vehicle.

DVLA said something like you could use a V62 application where they would also contact the owner but if no owner comes forward you then receive the V5.

But no keys, shame that.

52 minutes ago, cpjitservices said:

Bad Idea then!!

Think I'll leave it then - you do have to explore these avenues sometimes though.

Probably for the best - even if you did get the V5 that doesn't confer ownership. And by the time you've taken possession and spent £££ on it what happens if the owner rocks up? I looked into this years ago having  - like you - felt sorry for an abandoned car (Renault 5L), but it's potentially a world of pain. IIRC there's an earlier thread about this very subject where someone got properly shafted doing this very thing.

4 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Let me get this right... it’s a 15 year old 3 series that’s been trashed, no keys, tyres are fucked, there’s no test and for the last six months it’s played home to a set of illegal immigrants. It’s scrap. 

Thats the jist of it lol - and exactly where its going!

Now then! Anyone got an working E46 pref tourer with EMOTY?? lol 

quite fancy one now!

21 minutes ago, captain_70s said:

Bizarre, just last week there was a dumped E46 (black estate) one street over from mine, also with a broken window. A council notice appeared on it and it was towed a few days ago.

Must be the season for it...

“.... 2 turtle doves, and a dumped e46 estate...”

If you fancy a slightly manky premium* German car that’s got window tints, dodgy previous owners and a likely mechanical malady, come along to a Cannock auctions meet.

There’s usually a wide selection of the above going through the ring, prices start at £200ish and end at ‘how much for that POS???’

This isn’t a a slur on the good folk of Staffordshire btw, all good shite auctions should have several knackered BMWs, ringed Audi’s and very rusty Mercs to choose from. Or ring Cavcraft and ask him to source you something ‘special’.

I once bought an E300 for an obscene £200 as the owner who lived a couple of streets away had tried to sell it for a month and being a muppet (and it being pre WBAC days) he was left with a car on a Sunday the day before flying to his new life in Australia. £200 was the most I could get out from the cashpoint. I ran it for 6 months and sold it for £1500. The point being, even in a rush if it’s a decentish car someone will always give you more than £0 for a car, even if only just. I would leave well alone as pain v gain will almost certainly fall very heavily in the first camp.

8 hours ago, Kiltox said:

Do not get involved. 

Someone on here got very badly burnt with something like this, can’t remember who though. 

I think it was @scaryoldcortina and they'd actually given him the car, iirc.

To be honest, even if you apply for the V5 of this car and took ownership, you've got the problem that it might get towed off between you getting the V5 and if there's any fines or whatever, you could be right in the shit. On top of that perhaps £85 to get a key cut, then by the time you've paid to get it moved you're into it for probably £225-£250 and it could be absolutely fucked mechanically.

Let nature takes its course.

6 hours ago, sierraman said:

Let me get this right... it’s a 15 year old 3 series that’s been trashed, no keys, tyres are fucked, there’s no test and for the last six months it’s played home to a set of illegal immigrants. 

Numbers 9 and 12 when you do please.

?