Long winded Mercedez CLK Convertible Collection

Six-cylinder

Hairnet has been dispatched to Manchester by train and I am home, the car looks great and drives very nicely.

I was just telling Mrs6C and she went outside and said why is there a strong smell of petrol and drips coming from the underside of the car. 10 miles before I had refuelled it, but this was the second time as we had already filled it in Tavistock and didn't have any smells then. I will leave it over night and check in the morning.

The purpose of the refill was to check fuel consumption, 8.55 gals for 237.7 miles = 27.8 mpg.

IMG_20191124_152513 broad.jpg

2 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

I did watch mike brewer doing this to an e36 agm Mercedes in wheeler dealers. He used an orbital sander with very good results. It was only last week I saw it and remember he did use a sealant at the end of all the polishing.

I have always found Meguiar's product to be good quality so I am hopeful and will photo story the work.

2 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

Hairnet has been dispatched to Manchester by train and I am home, the car looks great and drives very nicely.

I was just telling Mrs6C and she went outside and said why is there a strong smell of petrol and drips coming from the underside of the car. 10 miles before I had refuelled it, but this was the second time as we had already filled it in Tavistock and didn't have any smells then. I will leave it over night and check in the morning.

The purpose of the refill was to check fuel consumption, 8.55 gals for 237.7 miles = 27.8 mpg.

On my 2000 320 CLK the fuel lines rotted and leaked where the rear passenger footwell ended and the pipes did a 90 upward. I did a temporary bodge until I dropped the tank to do the brake pipes.

2 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

IMG_20191124_152513 broad.jpg

Congratulations on your purchase, as a long-term CLK owner I can confirm these are lovely (and extremely reliable) cruisers. These CLKs often leak petrol if overfilled beyond the first click. The hose to the petrol expansion tank often leaks due to wear, fairly simple job to replace, I suspect that's the issue here. Fuel economy can get up to the upper 30's on a run if everything is in order. Plugs take (for me anyway) a few hours to replace, but newer plugs = way better economy, emissions fails on MOT are often due to plugs too. Once in a while they deserve some premium petrol, and MPG goes down quite a bit if tyre pressures aren't perfect. If you're thinking of a long-term relationship I recommend removing the sill covers, can hide all kind of horrors that are best sorted asap, ditto inner wings. Gearbox fluid & filter change is simple DIY too and well worth it. Any issues or questions please feel free to drop me a line anytime. Pic of mine attached.

2019-08-11 16.10.28.jpg

2019-06-19 18.26.20.jpg

Nice facelift you have! My old one (6cyls new one ) is a prefacelift elegance and doesn’t have the dreaded sill bodycladding, had a recent gearbox oil and filter and also had the dreaded leaky gearbox pilot bush replaced (worth checking if yours is a 722.6 auto which it must be as the 320 was only available in auto guise)

8 minutes ago, NigeT said:

Congratulations on your purchase, as a long-term CLK owner I can confirm these are lovely (and extremely reliable) cruisers. These CLKs often leak petrol if overfilled beyond the first click. The hose to the petrol expansion tank often leaks due to wear, fairly simple job to replace, I suspect that's the issue here. Fuel economy can get up to the upper 30's on a run if everything is in order. Plugs take (for me anyway) a few hours to replace, but newer plugs = way better economy, emissions fails on MOT are often due to plugs too. Once in a while they deserve some premium petrol, and MPG goes down quite a bit if tyre pressures aren't perfect. If you're thinking of a long-term relationship I recommend removing the sill covers, can hide all kind of horrors that are best sorted asap, ditto inner wings. Gearbox fluid & filter change is simple DIY too and well worth it. Any issues or questions please feel free to drop me a line anytime. Pic of mine attached.

Thanks for the offer of help.

I will need to sort the leaking fuel and have a favourite garage who are currently changing the leaking fuel pipes on another car fro me.

I believe HMC has done a gearbox oil change.

Long term or short term there is no plan, I bought it on the spur of the moment. 

I haven’t had it do it on this one- but it did do it on my old 320 cabrio- easy job remove the OSR wheelarch liner and the breather pipes (rubber rather than metal thankfully) are there, some generic hose of a similar dimension can be substituted, cost me a fiver if memory serves.

2 minutes ago, hairnet said:

the fuel thing - never smelt owt and no i didnt fart :D and spent quite a long time in it? @Six-cylinder @Mrs6C it was parked next to the all aggro when it got home maybe its that (apols for hatred)

didnt overfill it either

It does not smell of petrol today. I have not used it as I had to go out and play in the rain on the M25 with the Citroen DS.