BMW E46 airbag recall!

Cord Fourteener

I had a steering rack joint done on a recall on my my old  22 year old E36 earlier in the year and was told that while they had the car apart it got a new airbag.

I  had only just put a new mot on the car and there was not a thing wrong with the joint but the new one looks like it’s come off a tiger tank  so that’s what I call service.

I wouldn’t mind but I’ve only used the car twice since it’s been for it’s recall.

I was even given a courtesy 1 series sport but was glad to give it back as I prefer the softer suspension and non run flat tyres on my old compact.

45DE56CC-23D3-4CE4-8A96-7F44B7366F2D.jpeg

On 11/10/2019 at 6:43 AM, jamiechod said:

The dvla system isn't very effective for recall information. 

My e90 has an outstanding one for battery positive lead, though it doesn't say so on dvla site, a quick call to  bmw emergency assist they confirm it does indeed need recall work. 

14 hours ago, jamiechod said:

As I say no point asking franchises or the gov website get it from the horses mouth so to speak 

DVLA or franchise is where I got my info from and car sorted. Its better than word of mouth or not knowing at all and a lot of owners of older BMWs wouldn't think to call "BMW assist" as they are not "in the know" so to speak.

1 hour ago, Lord Sterling said:

DVLA or franchise is where I got my info from and car sorted. Its better than word of mouth or not knowing at all and a lot of owners of older BMWs wouldn't think to call "BMW assist" as they are not "in the know" so to speak.

You were lucky in the fact DVLA captured the information of your recall, but as others have proved in this thread, @Mattysaid checking dvla and phoning  their local dealer proved fruitless.

Yet phoning BMW assist confirmed his recall had been completed

what I should have said is that if you check with your dealer and the Gov website and still think there is no recall, phone BMW assist, who can say for definite - whom someone has already used to their advantage.

I was just trying to be helpful

On 11/11/2019 at 10:34 PM, loserone said:

The replacement airbags have the same issues and will also eventually be recalled, they're just hoping most affected cars will have been scrapped by the second time around.

(The issue is the metal case which directs the explosion degrades in humidity and especially heat, thus becoming shrapnel for a bomb rather than directing the airbag.)

In aerospace terms is that what the call a "lifed " part.  In that they know the life expectation and it is effectively becomes a service item. Like turbine blades. 

Experiencing legendary customer service at BMW, specifically Halliwell Jones in Llandudno Junction.

Mine is a recall but I heard the advisor next to mine volunteer information that a suspension component has worn out, unbeknownst to the customer and offering to fix it under warranty!

Why is it shocking when large companies act in an appropriate way?

20191118_105455.jpg