Collecting thread.

paulplom

not good, it looks like one of those wipers might have jumped on the splined shaft - are you just waiting for the big yellow taxi / the rain to stop ? could you nurse it to a petrol station and get a bottle of Rainex for the windscreen ?

(edit) glad to see you got it fixed :)

Yep it's my old one, replaced it with a 306 estate, seems to have slipped under the radar. 23mpg is no good for a daily...

It's got electric leather seats, all round electric windows, sunroof, aircon, but no climate, no cruise and no traction control. Also it's not metallic (weird for a T5) and doesn't have a spoiler (BTCC yo). It's technically a prefacelift 850 (much less common) but has some facelift bits due to being a T5. The intercooler piping is different to later models too - more efficient but less well suited to Sweden, hence a swift revision. 

Hope it serves you well :)

Nice to meet you Ghosty. Your jag is awesome. A very painless transaction indeed, would buy from again etc. Absolutely over the moon with the car. Unbelievable how well it drives considering the mileage. No rattles, solid as a rock and it really shifts in the spurt mode. My 1st auto t-5 as well. It could be the future.

I rang 999 when I broke when I ftp. The car was in a very dangerous position and wasn't sure what else to do. They put me through to the highways agency in Warrington who were a total and utter waste of my fucking time. Eventually under complete duress he agreed to send a car to make it safe so I could fix the wipers or move it to a safer position. It was torrential rain, howling wind and fucking freezing and the nearest car was a fucking hour away. 10 mins later the rain eased off so I went back to the car, cleared the screen and straightened the wipers. 

I hen drove well back from an artic for a few miles till I reached the next parking bay on the a19 about 10 miles up the road. Tightened the nuts with the multitool I had in my rucksack and hooned it the last 60 miles or so home. I was soaked through but just glad to make it back. Averaged 32mpgs over 150 miles which isn't bad at all.

Getting a bit sick of my bastard phone now. All the photos are taken in portrait mode. No idea why it's doing that. Maybe it's updated itself or something.

There should be a little tool kit in a pouch beside the spare wheel. The wipers on my last 850 did the same thing in an equally inconvenient position 200 miles from home. I didn't have any tools but then I remembered that little kit and was on my way in no time. 

Cruise control is easy to retrofit if you can find a breaker.

You need a vacuum pump under the battery. This has a hose that runs along the front valance, up the inner wing and through a pipe in the bulkhead and joins up with a servo above the throttle pedal. The servo is connected to the throttle pedal by a pull rod. You need a vacuum switch on the brake (and clutch if it was a manual) , this cancels the cruise and dumps the vacuum if you press the brake pedal. The only other bits you need are the relay and an indicator stalk with the switch on it.

All the wiring and mounting holes were in place on mine, I'm not sure about the earlier ones. Mine also had a mounting bracket for the servo and a ball on the throttle pedal but they weren't suitable for the V70 system I used. If you ask on the Volvo forum they'll tell you it's a major operation, but the whole lot took me a little over an hour including stripping the parts off the scrapper. It's best to strip the parts off yourself than to buy a kit because then you can see where they came from.

48110577836_6940e1a28d_b.jpg

48110682402_1e0f25e844_b.jpg

The odometer gear, which I can see is also broken, is fairly easy to do too.

Great to see another one of these moving to the north east, well bought!

When I first joined up here I had absolutely zero interest in Volvo's, which is weird because now I'm onto my second one and honestly think I'll keep one in the fleet as a permanent fixture. Looking inside yours lots of the switch gear looks to be the same as was in my old 940, the phase 2 V70 I've got at present is totally different.

Cheers for the info. I'm not too bothered about cruise though. I'll just be using it as a weekend car and won't be doing many miles. I wont be fixing the milometer either.  I insured it at Wetherby services for 3000 miles a year. The lady asked if I knew the mileage. I said yes, it's right in front of me. ?