Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
CortinaDave

New MOT failures

Recommended Posts

Had my A4 in for its test today. Failed on some minor welding and bits and bobs... one to be aware of though which seems a new thing is that it was failed for "headlamp levelling device inoperative"  - IE the headlight position switch that never seems to work in old cars 

I'd never even tried it in the audi as I dont tow anything so have no real need for it.

It looks a pain in the arse to fix given I'll never use it.. so I'm wondering if setting the beams manually,buying a blanking plate and taking the levelling switch out will get me a pass? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, camryv6 said:

Do they mean the leveller underneath connected to the suspension ?

You only get one of those if you have factory Xenons, no?

New one on me, I guess this was added to the test in April 2018?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kiltox said:

You only get one of those if you have factory Xenons, no?

 

I believe if the levellers underneath are fitted they have to be connected, but there is no way to test on an MOT if they are working ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Snipes said:

Yes. Headlights cleaners (usually a water spray) too. I wouldn't say they are bullshit- we all complain about how blinding modern headlights are.

Yeah, my wife's mini has led headlights and literally everyone flashes you thinking you have your beam on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's officially been a fail for years I think...though I don't ever remember seeing it checked.  The Lada ones (hydraulic!) never work...so that'll be a fun game come MOT if they're actually checking it now...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jamiechod said:

Yeah, my wife's mini has led headlights and literally everyone flashes you thinking you have your beam on

Every mini I've driven / seen with older xenons or newer LEDs seems to be like this!

It seems the adjustment mechanism is really sensitive to the suspension inputs as you can see the beam height Bob up down as they jostle along down the road.  Land rover products seems to have the same issue 

I've always wondered if they bought their setup from the same manufacturer or whether there is little/no damping in the adjustment response

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a Fiesta years ago - maybe about 2012ish and it failed on the height adjustment on the headlights. Quick fuck about with the screwdriver so that the actual height could be manually adjusted and it was job jobbed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Patent said:

Every mini I've driven / seen with older xenons or newer LEDs seems to be like this!

It seems the adjustment mechanism is really sensitive to the suspension inputs as you can see the beam height Bob up down as they jostle along down the road.  Land rover products seems to have the same issue 

I've always wondered if they bought their setup from the same manufacturer or whether there is little/no damping in the adjustment response

Ah yeah does make sense, they are fuckin class though on country roads lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait, I'm confused. Are we talking the self-levellers required for Xenons or the dial on the dash to manually adjust normal halogen units.

The ones on my old Astra Coupe never worked and didnt appear to form part of the test.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kiltox said:

You only get one of those if you have factory Xenons, no?

New one on me, I guess this was added to the test in April 2018?

Our old blue gooner would have failed it's test with me had I not cable tied the arms back together for the passenger leveller. 

Granted it snapped after about 4 days but meh, the headlights weren't improved with it level vs pointing at the gutter. Infact I preferred it in the end, could keep an eye out for shit or deer on the verge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jamiechod said:

Yeah, my wife's mini has led headlights and literally everyone flashes you thinking you have your beam on

They must be set too high , my B class has LED headlights , in 3 years and 30,000 miles I've never been flashed once

 

Screenshot_20191011-115006_Samsung Internet.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Wack said:

They must be set too high , my B class has LED headlights , in 3 years and 30,000 miles I've never been flashed once

 

Screenshot_20191011-115006_Samsung Internet.jpg

It's less than a year old and as far as I remember people have done it since new but as Patent says its a mini-wide issue I think. I also get flashed a lot in my bm but think its cos stuff is usually falling off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, robinmasters said:

I spent ages last week trying to find the headlight beam adjuster last week.  On my Xantia.  🙄

I do admire Citroens approach to this, just keep the whole car level!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was indeed the manual height adjuster in the car - I only have normal halogens fitted.

I set the beams properly manually and took it for another test elsewhere today once I'd fixed the other bits needed and it passed with no mention of the leveller.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, CortinaDave said:

It was indeed the manual height adjuster in the car - I only have normal halogens fitted.

I set the beams properly manually and took it for another test elsewhere today once I'd fixed the other bits needed and it passed with no mention of the leveller.

I can recommend a shite friendly mot station in Dunfermline for future reference if you'd like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DodgyBastard said:

I can recommend a shite friendly mot station in Dunfermline for future reference if you'd like.

Yeah the garage I use used to be very fair on MOTs  but they’ve cremated my car the last 2 years, cremated my mrs car and my mums this year too, hence me going for a different test station for the retest who seemed better. Think they are done for me now.

suggestions greatfully taken! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CortinaDave said:

Yeah the garage I use used to be very fair on MOTs  but they’ve cremated my car the last 2 years, cremated my mrs car and my mums this year too, hence me going for a different test station for the retest who seemed better. Think they are done for me now.

suggestions greatfully taken! 

Autoweld in Elgin Industrial estate, test is £55 or £45 trade but they don't do any form of repair work so have less incentive to fail things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...