Twin-Cam

Twin-Cam's Poverty Spec Metro

Looking at the fabled 1.1C rear bumper has got me thinking, just how far did manufacturers go to realise cost savings on low-end specials? Now I know the accepted wisdom is that really they did it out of spite and a lack of respect for their customers but it seems to me like they can’t have bothered tooling up for this act specifically. This specific bumper must have been a mashup of some Triumph Acclaim tin bumpers they had lying around and then the PU ends from a mould made for a pre-production mock up. Probably saved the full-bumper moulds from wearing out or gave them extra production capacity or something. Presumably this bumper doesn’t have the impact bumper behind the tin so there *may have been some actual cost savings involved.

2 hours ago, dc2100k said:

Looking at the fabled 1.1C rear bumper has got me thinking, just how far did manufacturers go to realise cost savings on low-end specials? Now I know the accepted wisdom is that really they did it out of spite and a lack of respect for their customers but it seems to me like they can’t have bothered tooling up for this act specifically. This specific bumper must have been a mashup of some Triumph Acclaim tin bumpers they had lying around and then the PU ends from a mould made for a pre-production mock up. Probably saved the full-bumper moulds from wearing out or gave them extra production capacity or something. Presumably this bumper doesn’t have the impact bumper behind the tin so there *may have been some actual cost savings involved.

In true Rover fashion, it cost them more to make the three-piece bumper than it did to make the standard one.

They were selling too many 1.1Cs apparently, and wanted to shift more 1.1Ls and 1.1Ss. Rather than make the L and S better, they made the C worse by putting on that bumper and those hubcaps.

5 hours ago, Twin-Cam said:

In true Rover fashion, it cost them more to make the three-piece bumper than it did to make the standard one.

They were selling too many 1.1Cs apparently, and wanted to shift more 1.1Ls and 1.1Ss. Rather than make the L and S better, they made the C worse by putting on that bumper and those hubcaps.

Joke's on them, those changes actually improved the C.