Take me home...

chaseracer

I've driven past Rennes-La Janais where most (if not all) of my Citroens were built, but I was in the 309 at the time.  I've been round Ryton, where that Peugeot was probably made (and the Avenger definitely was) but that was in 1988 and I still had the GS.  I've visited Gothenburg-Torslanda and Trollhättan, though decades after owning the Volvo and Saab.

Have you ever taken your car back to the factory where it was made?

not yet, but I very much plan/want to!
plus i have many questions i want to ask the guys that run the show there  
(that and actually ID which Model 70 "WPD607G" is, it being the AC (Ironically enough), Model 70 that lives by the old Invacar factory)
I did my work experience at college at ferry works in Thames Ditton. There was nothing of ac there then, so I doubt you'll find anything now :)

Sent from my SGP621 using Tapatalk

I doubt that I will be taking the Jag back to Coventry, and the only way the Hyundai is going back to Korea is in a million bits of scrap steel.

But, the Toyota, it was made in Melbourne so that may be on the cards. It was built in the former AMI Port Melbourne factory, but it closed in 1994 and there is little left of it. The motor was made in the Altona factory which closed in 2017 when Toyota ended Australian production, but it still stands as the home of Toyota Australia so that will have to do.

I went to Speke a couple of times in about 1981 in my 1972 Toledo; I don't even know where Toledos were built but it's about as close as I'll ever get.  Pretty sure the factory had gone by then anyway.

Years later, when I was delivering timber to building sites in a 1998 ERF, one of my drops was where the thing was built, except now it was a housing estate...

Too late as always!

Only one of mine that’s been to its birth place is the Transit, but the old Transit factory is only in Southampton which is a few miles down the motorway from where I live so it’s not exactly an adventure!

In theory I could take the Capri up to Halewood once it’s finished, but it’s not a Ford plant anymore I don’t think?

The Mercury would need to be shipped back to the US, and go to St. Louis plant in Hazelwood, Missouri. But the plant closed in 2006 and has since been flattened.

The Volvo was built in Ghent, Belgium. Not a million miles away and I think the plant is still there?

4 hours ago, meshking said:

I did my work experience at college at ferry works in Thames Ditton. There was nothing of ac there then, so I doubt you'll find anything now :)

Sent from my SGP621 using Tapatalk

I have an Invacar Model 70 :) 

(I have wondered what happened to ACs old stuff, and their factory records, but sadly AC has been bought and sold so many times, that one point they denied ever making invalid vehicles!)

I've taken the Vectra C passed the old supplying dealer: Halesowen Motor House which is what is on the plates. However, it is originally a Yorkshire-reg'd car. Brand new, don't know where it was supplied but I suppose I'll take a snap next to Halesowen Motor House next time I pass, it's only up the road. 

I suppose at some point I could take it passed Ellesmere Port. Is there somewhere to take a good pic like the "plinth" at Q-gate MG-Rover?

5 hours ago, castros_bro said:

Drove my T60 to Biggleswade.

Would love to hear more about these. I met a bloke last year whose son had taken one on a mahoosive roadtrip. 

It’s, predictably, housing there now in Biggleswade - although, as a nice touch, the road is called Berkeley Close and back in 2015 this happened!

Berkeley Cars 20150517 Biggleswade

The housing estate that once was Browns lane is a PITA, as Jag still have a small place there, but you have to drive through the estate to get there......usually Foreign registered wrecks littering every bloody corner, making shuffling a Scania through a but hard at times..