Velocity and Satisfaction - The AS Vel Satis.

BorniteIdentity

It sounds like you've had a nice bit of fun in it and it would be great if it could stay on here for a few more of us able to enjoy its delights, it's certainly be up for a ticket at a £10, what matters is the agreement you had with loserone and the ability of it to live on, never will such french madness be available for such cheeps. (in my mind at least)

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

U ok Hun? Inbox me. 

It’s ok, gang. Change of plan. On the basis that Mally doesn’t like the idea of anyone benefiting from a raffle win - and is seemingly opposed to a substantial charitable donation being made - I’ll stick it on Gumtree as “free to a good home”. That way everyone’s happy. 

I mean, I’m doing exactly what I said I would - but meh. Life’s too short. 

Sell it for 1000 quid if you wat. If that's what it's worth, then that's what it sells for. You had good fortune, so what? Why shouldn't you sell it and make a shilling or two. But, if you are giving it away on Bumtree, I'll make first dibs!

Another 100 miles today circumnavigating winter fenland. On the winter tyres the car is absolutely fantastic. Minus 3 was business as usual for the VelSation, the heated seats are absolutely off the scale. 

Unfortunately, paying over £130 a month in road tax alone is unsustainable as a single entity. By the time you add on insurance costs for the entire fleet it’s an expensive hobby; especially when there are precious few hours in the winter day where one can enjoy ones motor cars. I’m sorry to those who are disappointed, but there’s a calculated and well thought out reason that I wasn’t looking to expand the fleet 6 weeks before Christmas. It’s also fairer, I think, that a new owner gets maximum MOT, rubber and longevity from the car. 

The VelSation is now Sold Subject to Collection. As previously stated, a charitable donation will be made and Loserone will be given all the info. 

If you ever get a chance to try a VS then please grab it with both arms. It’s a masterpiece. 

34 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Amateur.

What can I say? 7 cars, 4 kids and 2 houses is clearly my financial limit!

In the background, it’s also very likely that I’ll end up with a car for work in the new year - which means another space will be lost. I’m hopeful I can make it something half interesting but who knows!

Really, the perfect number is 4. 5 is manageable - 6 I always struggle with. I like everything working well so it becomes expensive! 

I’d keep the Avensis on front line duties if I could, but it’s hard to take £350 a month allowance and smoke around in a 20 year old Yoda! 

Landmark achieved. 

79AF7C76-8C1A-438D-87C4-D97849167C14.thumb.jpeg.e89de52267417b2897b08844b7d7a3df.jpeg

Genuinely, I think it’s got an awful lot left to give. I can’t think of a reason why it wouldn’t do 400k. I wish whoever did the clutch did the DMF properly because it does bang away a bit. Otherwise it’s a strong as an ox. 

29 minutes ago, loserone said:

Bet that's healthy for those with Asthma!

Presumably these just work on the principle of overpowering any existing smells?

I think that’s the majority of it. Some odours are airborne so they can be “fought”. 

I actually think the smell was leather food, but it was very strong and not particularly appealing. 

Yoink!

114851467_2019-11-2511_43_32.thumb.jpg.5efe4d93fd8fc117fb9d6ad859db30db.jpg

I hoovered this up yesterday for my shite investment portfolio, I've always admired them but haven't had the balls to take one on before. I regard this one as a reasonably safe bet as it's proven to work more-or-less as intended, and is the least mechanically complex model.  I'm still in the honeymoon period but I bloody love it so far, it's a (big) cocoon of peace and serenity, especially on the way home on the M25 where I just calmly observed all the utter fuckwittery that a late Sunday afternoon brings.  Oh, and it smells lovely :)   Was good to meet Bornite and have a look at the Sierra bASe too. 

575689202_2019-11-2511_42_14.thumb.jpg.f57ef3fafb99066ad239cacfe82ce9cd.jpg

I had to store the roffle Alfa GTV at my brothers place in Norfolk to make space for this, which was stressful.  I've not had time to replace the cambelt and there's a definite squeak from that area, so there was much wincing and gnashing of teeth as I tried to keep the revs low.  It was fine though.  I plan to sort that in the spring, get it MOT'd and roffle it.  Well, that was the story I spun my brother, at least...

• 4 weeks later...

I'm pleased to inform you that the Vel Satis is FULLY OPERATIONAL once more, after breaking down a couple of weeks back.  It seems the problem was air in the clutch slave cylinder, and it (eventually) responded to being bled.  It's fed off the brake reservoir and the level had got low there, but the filthy fluid coming out of the slave makes me think any leak isn't in that circuit, so I'll be checking the brakes.

1959347438_2019-12-0113_43_32.thumb.jpg.9a631d03305bf3f44285102a2efb0624.jpg

It's taken me some time to trust the electronic handbrake.  It still seems like unnecessary complication though.

270711047_2019-12-0113_43_47.thumb.jpg.a1e5cc1f0ea8459890d050544fc4e329.jpg

This is normal... as well as the alert about the screenwash level being low.  I briefly reconsidered restoring the speech function, but then I watched some YouTube vids of it in action and realised it would be telling me to 'consult my Renault dealer' every 30 seconds. 

Will I be brave enough to use it for work on Wednesday, potentially risking a breakdown on Xmas Eve?

Course you will.... It is a wonderful way to waft.

Of course this is a car that northern monkey dropped the fuel tank, fitted a new cable for the EPB, reset it all, fitted new cables and double checked, then when I filled up with fuel 5 minutes later at the garage locked the brake on.

I'd bleed the whole lot and keep an eye on it.

If the fluid in the clutch circuit has never been changed it could have all kinds of gunk in it.  I had issues like this on one of my Saabs...bled everything up with loads of fresh fluid and it never used another drop the rest of the time I had the car.

What came out looked like something I'd expect to come out of the sump of a neglected bus engine...

For all they - and most of the big Renaults - are somewhat prone to being overly temperamental, they're lovely comfy barges when they're working.  My Renault 25 still ranks as the most comfortable car I've ever sat in by quite some way.  Citroen CX is the only thing I can think of which even came close...