Picasso restoration.......a tale of idiocy and citroen fun

maxxo

The main thing is trying to find one with the same interior, as far as i'm aware they were only fitted on the june 05 to october 05 builds with the 2.0 HDi

Most likely won't bother, or see if i can make one out of bits of a rhd drivers seat

it's exactly like that

So mine is technically a "desire" trim, even though now it's closer to an exclusive.......so the other day i went to the citroen dealer for the clips which hold up the parcel shelf blind as i got sick of it falling off my botch job, after explaining for 20 minutes it's from a higher spec model they eventually found the part number.

£15 for some plastic clips......almost certain they have ordered the wrong part so collecting should be fun

but yeah.....i went to a different citroen dealer before that for a brake switch and they tried to talk me into the scrappage scheme......... hell no! i like my "shite" picasso and i think everything they make these days looks bloody awful

seems these days no one really goes to the parts department

You've got to be careful of it, and research thoroughly. NEVER leave euro car parts without inspecting what they've given you, even if the queue is out the door, just move out the way but don't drive off! 

I had similar with the laguna. Went from a mk2ph2 car to a mk1ph1. Zx is equally murky and even worse as its all so old, everything's done off the database

2 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Bloody PSA, I bet buying simple things like calipers or handbrake cables is a right arse on these. Oh no sir, that part number only covers cars built between 4pm and 8am on the 24/07/2002. You want part number blah blah which covers all the cars for the next 3 weeks, and then...

You couldn’t be more right - I had a very cooking model Picasso a few years ago and getting THE RIGHT parts for it was a fucking mare. 

Thoughts for 2020,
Damn do i love this picasso, it's absolutely worthless and i'm well aware it's a bit knackered.............

of course i'm still going to spend lots of monry trying to make it a minter (i'm mentally insane)

but yeah still got the exciting cold starting issues, sometimes loose speedo when cranking, the rear axle is failing, brake lines are corroding, needs engine mounts and ideally gear linkages,

now a normal person would just run it as it is because it's fine, however i'm not normal, i love shite and falling in love with neglected cars so of course i'm going to fix it

Lovin' your Shitroen saga. I've got a 2001 Pigasshole 1.6 petrol. Bought it in March 2019 as I needed emergency wheels and my friend who drove me was a Frog car fan and tipped me over the edge. It's had 1 previous owner and 74k on the clock and a huge electric sunroof.

Like you, I've spent far too much on it, but I hate driving cars that have become clattery old heaps from neglect... Plus, it's my daily driver involving trips around the M25 AND I have to visit elderly parents each night to care for them, so I need something with serious faults dealt with. So far it's had:

• Gates kits - w/pump, cambelt and tensioner (Fleabay)
  • Front discs/pads (Local parts shop)
  • Rear wheel cylinders (Local parts shop)
  • Track rod ends (Local parts shop)
  • Drop links (Local parts shop)
  • Front shocks/top mount kits (EuroCrapPrats/local parts shop)
  • 4 x knobbly all-season tyres (Halfrauds)
  • Exhaust back box (independent exhaust place)
  • O-rings x 2 on heater matrix (access via passenger footwell)
  • LuK clutch, release fork and nose cone (mobile mechanic)
  • Wipers all round (Local parts shop)
  • 2 x engine mounts (Local parts shop)
  • Battery (Local parts shop)
  • Idle control valve (Fleabay

Clearly I'm insane, but it starts on the button, drives really well and with the seats out can lug huge amounts of stuff - sofas, etc. I don't have enough money to buy a decent newer car but I can manage repairs every month or so. I know so decent mobile mechanics who charge pennies. It's just passed its MOT and rides as well as any decent cars I had before I fell on hard times when I started caring for my parents. When I'm flush again, I'll pass it on and someone will get a great car with a few years left in it.

Cheers!

pigasshole-web.jpg

13 hours ago, Prote said:

Lovin' your Shitroen saga. I've got a 2001 Pigasshole 1.6 petrol. Bought it in March 2019 as I needed emergency wheels and my friend who drove me was a Frog car fan and tipped me over the edge. It's had 1 previous owner and 74k on the clock and a huge electric sunroof.

Like you, I've spent far too much on it, but I hate driving cars that have become clattery old heaps from neglect... Plus, it's my daily driver involving trips around the M25 AND I have to visit elderly parents each night to care for them, so I need something with serious faults dealt with. So far it's had:

• Gates kits - w/pump, cambelt and tensioner (Fleabay)
  • Front discs/pads (Local parts shop)
  • Rear wheel cylinders (Local parts shop)
  • Track rod ends (Local parts shop)
  • Drop links (Local parts shop)
  • Front shocks/top mount kits (EuroCrapPrats/local parts shop)
  • 4 x knobbly all-season tyres (Halfrauds)
  • Exhaust back box (independent exhaust place)
  • O-rings x 2 on heater matrix (access via passenger footwell)
  • LuK clutch, release fork and nose cone (mobile mechanic)
  • Wipers all round (Local parts shop)
  • 2 x engine mounts (Local parts shop)
  • Battery (Local parts shop)
  • Idle control valve (Fleabay

Clearly I'm insane, but it starts on the button, drives really well and with the seats out can lug huge amounts of stuff - sofas, etc. I don't have enough money to buy a decent newer car but I can manage repairs every month or so. I know so decent mobile mechanics who charge pennies. It's just passed its MOT and rides as well as any decent cars I had before I fell on hard times when I started caring for my parents. When I'm flush again, I'll pass it on and someone will get a great car with a few years left in it.

Cheers!

pigasshole-web.jpg

ooooooo how fancy an early sx trim with a sunroof! very nice especialy with genuine wheel trims!

i'm glad i'm not the only picasso nutter out there, definatly shite territory and worth spending far too much restoring to as like new as possible.

I also hate neglected cars, mine was well to put it simply awful when i got it,

bald tyres

4 year old oil

ruined clutch

flat paint (managed to restore it)

wrecked wheel trims

the interior stunk of damp and dogs

all the vents were broken

flat battery

siezed on handbrake

broken rear wiper

and a few other things i can't remember, but i'm pleased to report i have fixed every single thing on mine that was broken when i got him, quite proud of the car now

2 hours ago, maxxo said:

just found another exciting feature!

you can store the parcel shelf behind the rear seats if you need to remove it, fold the seats forwardand hook the parcel shelf into those little hooks behind where the shelf normally goes!

Genius stuff! Took me ages to discover the wheelbrace under the trapdoor in the floor behind the driver. Fiendish Frog fun!

The wheel trims have a few cracks - I was going to bin them. Perhaps I'll glue them up, sand and re-paint. Much prefer black ones to match the door strip and the bumpers....

3 hours ago, maxxo said:

just found another exciting feature!

you can store the parcel shelf behind the rear seats if you need to remove it, fold the seats forwardand hook the parcel shelf into those little hooks behind where the shelf normally goes!

Every car should have a place to store its own parcel shelf. Crazy that most don’t. 

1 hour ago, Prote said:

Genius stuff! Took me ages to discover the wheelbrace under the trapdoor in the floor behind the driver. Fiendish Frog fun!

The wheel trims have a few cracks - I was going to bin them. Perhaps I'll glue them up, sand and re-paint. Much prefer black ones to match the door strip and the bumpers....

Those trapdoors are excellent, theres 2 and they can be filled with all kinds of crap lol and keep everything out the way, seeing you have a very early one you have the battery access mechanism with the clips, whereas my 2005 has bolts holding the seat down which is a massive pain.

Did you also know the middle seat in the back is on runners so you can move it backwards and forwards? at least it is on my 05.

1 hour ago, overrun said:

Every car should have a place to store its own parcel shelf. Crazy that most don’t. 

you'd think it would be common sense really, as you say sadly most don't and you have to awkwardly put the parcel shelf somewhere or leave it behind

well i bought a "go pro" obviously not a real one but an amazon version and i have to say it's really rather good!

82205677_2745100025547413_3857581737974431744_o.thumb.jpg.a899c898079ac52bc833c71a2f769b62.jpg

Glad to report i look like an absolute idiot! which is excellent.

I've been trying it out today and did one of those "trendy pov drives" and the results well they are really rather good, good enough that i'm currently uploading it to youtube.

stay tuned for some shite video content, i will post the link here once it's uploaded

in more exciting news, WE HAVE SPRING CUPS!!

obviously had no luck from citroen, nor did i want to pay £70 plus vat each on them

a very nice memeber of the citroen xsara picasso enthusiast group on facebook sold me a pair for £20 posted which is great.

20200107_155812.thumb.jpg.cdf3055244d26823fd665422ddc5c961.jpg

20200107_155818.thumb.jpg.c60e02c0083b678a182d02f814285484.jpg

20200107_155822.thumb.jpg.2af65b67c99b7440caa08bffb5d56105.jpg

soooooo nice and shiny! it's a job for saturday, as well as checking the brake pads as i think they need doing soon.