Picasso restoration.......a tale of idiocy and citroen fun

maxxo

2 hours ago, Prote said:

..but sadly was shunted in stationary traffic and it now has a dented tailgate.... ☹️ Young female driving a Ford Kuga   (with lairy toddler in rear seat) says she stalled and it lurched forward ? 

Fist-sized dent in the tailgate just below number plate - dead on the crease so not a pull-out job. Plus the tailgate gap is p*ssed around the left side, so it's kinked out somehow.

Mostly annoyed that a 19 yr old pristine car looks like every other bent old kipper. 

What to do? Insurance company would likely write it off and don't suppose she'll pay to get it done properly.  It's had a fair bit spent on it so would be a shame to bin it, and have no cash to get anything better ?

That's such a massive shame! but i've never had a car stall and lurch forward? sounds like an excuse for being on her phone and rolling forward.

so yours is red, it shouldn't be too impossible to find a replacement tailgate for it (of course making sutre it's pre 2004 so the badges are absolutely correct)

they are the swiss army knife of cars, and far better than the new alternatives tbh they have a lot more room than the new c4 picasso thing

12 hours ago, maxxo said:

That's such a massive shame! but i've never had a car stall and lurch forward? sounds like an excuse for being on her phone and rolling forward.

so yours is red, it shouldn't be too impossible to find a replacement tailgate for it (of course making sutre it's pre 2004 so the badges are absolutely correct)

they are the swiss army knife of cars, and far better than the new alternatives tbh they have a lot more room than the new c4 picasso thing

I told her she must have been too close and she agreed she was. I think you're right - properly texting or wrangling with the kid in the car seat. Proper mardy thing too like I'd inconvenienced her by stopping to swap details.

I'm booked in to see my local friendly smart repair man - he's very honest and reasonably priced - just to see what the extent of the damage is. If it's just paint and he tweak the boot to fit better that would do. She said she'd cough up the readies. Just annoying and hassle. Grrrrrr

48 minutes ago, maxxo said:

so we drove to leeds today, 130 mile round trip...... i only saw 1 car older than my picasso

it was sad

not many people want old cars.....not classics but 13+ year old average cars

That's sad if all the old cars are going :( I used to love classic cars but they are outrageously priced, so I opt for quirky older cars that have been well preserved. Driving bores me so anything that makes my commute more interesting is fine by me. Sat in a Fiat Doblo the other day....that was cavernous and made me smile ?

6 minutes ago, Prote said:

I told her she must have been too close and she agreed she was. I think you're right - properly texting or wrangling with the kid in the car seat. Proper mardy thing too like I'd inconvenienced her by stopping to swap details.

I'm booked in to see my local friendly smart repair man - he's very honest and reasonably priced - just to see what the extent of the damage is. If it's just paint and he tweak the boot to fit better that would do. She said she'd cough up the readies. Just annoying and hassle. Grrrrrr

i'm honestly glad to see you're fixing it! theres very few people out there who actually look after these picassos

I was stopped in traffic next to one today and i happened to glance inside and saw what looked like the abs light, oil light and engine light on,  the rest of that car was a total wreck too

shame really as these cars are already getting rarer

3 minutes ago, Prote said:

That's sad if all the old cars are going :( I used to love classic cars but they are outrageously priced, so I opt for quirky older cars that have been well preserved. Driving bores me so anything that makes my commute more interesting is fine by me. Sat in a Fiat Doblo the other day....that was cavernous and made me smile ?

If a car bores me i can't enjoy it

surprisingly the picasso has never bored me in the slightest and they're far nicer to drive than anyone thinks

already checked, 8k of them the same spec as mine (original spec as it's now it's own spec.....almost an exclusive ya know)

An awful lot less than even 2 years ago, i'd imagine scrappage schemes are killing them as well as the neglect they all seem to be suffering from.

I see the desire with the 1.6 16v is the most common.....i'd imagine because they're the newest (build quality went to crap in 07ish on these) but in 3-4 years these are going to be pretty rare

5 minutes ago, maxxo said:

If a car bores me i can't enjoy it

surprisingly the picasso has never bored me in the slightest and they're far nicer to drive than anyone thinks

My girlfriend has an amazingly reliable but dull Hyundai i30 Estate. I literally groan if we have to use it.

I'd always avoided French cars and only got this one as the gearbox on my Suzuki Ignis exploded and needed instant wheels. My mate who drove me to see it is a Berlingo nut and was so excited to drive the Picasso that I was swept along with his enthusiasm.,

2 minutes ago, Prote said:

My girlfriend has an amazingly reliable but dull Hyundai i30 Estate. I literally groan if we have to use it.

I'd always avoided French cars and only got this one as the gearbox on my Suzuki Ignis exploded and needed instant wheels. My mate who drove me to see it is a Berlingo nut and was so excited to drive the Picasso that I was swept along with his enthusiasm.,

the only hyundai i've driven is an i10 1.2 and it's exactly what i hate in a car.

French cars are very exciting, as a serious picasso nut i think they're fantastic especially the 2.0

3 minutes ago, maxxo said:

already checked, 8k of them the same spec as mine (original spec as it's now it's own spec.....almost an exclusive ya know)

An awful lot less than even 2 years ago, i'd imagine scrappage schemes are killing them as well as the neglect they all seem to be suffering from.

I see the desire with the 1.6 16v is the most common.....i'd imagine because they're the newest (build quality went to crap in 07ish on these) but in 3-4 years these are going to be pretty rare

If you click through some are SORN so who knows...perhaps there are fellow mentalists preserving these round Gallic motors...

If you click through some are SORN so who knows...perhaps there are fellow mentalists preserving these round Gallic motors...

My plan is this year to get another car.....don't need 2 but want another car, using the excuse of getting a petrol for short journeys.

Basically 3 cars i'm considering, 2.0 petrol xsara picasso (1.8 would do), laguna 2 2.0 (for maximum masochism) or a c5 v6

I need to get the laguna 2 out my system though

33 minutes ago, maxxo said:

My plan is this year to get another car.....don't need 2 but want another car, using the excuse of getting a petrol for short journeys.

Basically 3 cars i'm considering, 2.0 petrol xsara picasso (1.8 would do), laguna 2 2.0 (for maximum masochism) or a c5 v6

I need to get the laguna 2 out my system though

I might try to tempt you with my 1.6 8v SX if I sell it at some point - it's s-l-o-w, trusty but not rusty. By then it'll have had almost everything replaced. Underneath it's got more new shiny parts than RoboCop. There's still a funny intermittent clonk from the front end - the CV joint isn't showing any wear (no clicking on cornering or movement when the wheel is waggled) so it's either N/S wishbone balljoint or steering rack somewhere....that's next on my list when it's warmer outside. It's had new drop-links, track rod ends, front shocks and top mount kits. It's gradually getting better and better...

So far it's had: Gates cambelt kit with tensioner and w/pump, idle control valve, new LuK clutch (with nose cone and fork), all engine mounts, gearbox oil change, full service, front discs/pads, rear cylinders, the suspension bits I mentioned before, new mid-section of exhaust, battery, wipers all round, 4 new all-season tyres, new MOT. All the parts are amazingly cheap and obtainable. I reckon it'll soldier on for a good few years yet...and deserves more adventures ?

4 minutes ago, Prote said:

I might try to tempt you with my 1.6 8v SX if I sell it at some point - it's s-l-o-w, trusty but not rusty. By then it'll have had almost everything replaced. Underneath it's got more new shiny parts than RoboCop. There's still a funny intermittent clonk from the front end - the CV joint isn't showing any wear (no clicking on cornering or movement when the wheel is waggled) so it's either N/S wishbone balljoint or steering rack somewhere....that's next on my list when it's warmer outside. It's had new drop-links, track rod ends, front shocks and top mount kits. It's gradually getting better and better...

So far it's had: Gates cambelt kit with tensioner and w/pump, idle control valve, new LuK clutch (with nose cone and fork), all engine mounts, gearbox oil change, full service, front discs/pads, rear cylinders, the suspension bits I mentioned before, new mid-section of exhaust, battery, wipers all round, 4 new all-season tyres, new MOT. All the parts are amazingly cheap and obtainable. I reckon it'll soldier on for a good few years yet...and deserves more adventures ?

Now with the way stuff is looking i should start a new job within the next month..... mid spec car with base model engine is perfection!

Sounds typical picasso ownership! yet they never seem to fail to proceed

i sure hope it has the factory head unit for maximum sound quality* sx should have a cd player so all the mod cons too!

Yes i would be interested, especially if after june time...... i hope you live as far away from Middlesbrough as you can get in the UK and i collect it on a summers day when we have 38c heat and the aircon doesn't work

23 hours ago, maxxo said:

i sure hope it has the factory head unit for maximum sound quality* sx should have a cd player so all the mod cons too!

Yes i would be interested, especially if after june time...... i hope you live as far away from Middlesbrough as you can get in the UK and i collect it on a summers day when we have 38c heat and the aircon doesn't work

Hahaha. It's got the original CD player which works perfectly - just needed a cleaning disc from Ebay to fix it. And the aircon works too :mrgreen: I'm down in the South East so you'd have plenty of time sweating on the M1. It has the sliding back seats too for any long-leggedy passengers. By June it would have even more new shiny parts!!! LOL

12 hours ago, Prote said:

Hahaha. It's got the original CD player which works perfectly - just needed a cleaning disc from Ebay to fix it. And the aircon works too :mrgreen: I'm down in the South East so you'd have plenty of time sweating on the M1. It has the sliding back seats too for any long-leggedy passengers. By June it would have even more new shiny parts!!! LOL

Oh fantastic! i think ours are the only Picassos out there still with working air con!

As soon as i have the spare cash i would be very interested indeed, nice long drive too especially with the extremely fast* 1.6 8v petrol

So a little report on how the car is doing

Has a decent wheel wobble sometimes between 65 and 75 so i'm ignoring it for now

Some new excitement! oh yes! if i stop in second gear with my foot on the clutch it rumbles however if i touch the gear stick then it stops? also does the same in reverse when moving slowly again stopping when i touch the stick

Now i have absolutely no idea what it could be, even more weird how i can make it stop by touching the gear lever......if i stop in neutral and then put it in gear it doesn't do it? so i'm doubting it's the clutch

Will probably have a very exciting FTP including exploded gearbox and oil all over the road soon, but i'm sure it'll be fine

righttttt......

I haven't told many people about this but this picasso is creepy,

Here goes.... So driving alone at night there is a strong feeling of something in the passenger seat, i've often felt like there is something in the back seat too (could be carbon monoxide but there is no smell of exhaust inside the car at all)

Once i bad talked the car and it wouldn't start with an immobiliser fault (again could be a coincidence)

If i consider replacing the car or talk of new cars it seems to go wrong almost straight afterwards

Lots of times the rear sunblind has been pulled down overnight even though it's held tightly with the hooks.

I think i'm going crazy or i have some kind of fucked up haunted car, and in a way i feel this makes this car special

2 minutes ago, Dan302 said:

I'm sure there's a thread somewhere about spooky/strange goings on. Do the strange feelings always happen at the same time/location?

I'll check them out, and nope can be anywhere and come on at random, i first thought i was imagining it but last night i had a passenger with me and we both had a strange feeling.

It's not so common throughout the day but does still happen occasionally, I enjoy creepy stuff but it does make me feel weird sometimes

I've thought about carbon monoxide but as it's a diesel i'd imagine having a smell of diesel fumes or soot at least in the pollen filter but it's all clean and the exhaust is solid.

So i cleaned all the oil off the top of the gearbox, wasn't that much either......

in a typical Citroen way there is no more oil on the gearbox after about 150 miles

and no more weird noises at all? Seems this is a weird and self fixing car