Picasso restoration.......a tale of idiocy and citroen fun

maxxo

test drove a potential replacement today, £1395, of course, it won't sell so i might buy it in a month for £7-800

had a couple of little issues, slight corrosion to one of the rear doors and damaged tailgate wiring

2.2 HDi, which i know is a grenade made of unobtanium coupled to the truly fantastic, ultra reliable never go wrong** AL4 autobox

you see, with cars like that, when you drive them you must NOT like them

naturally i fell in love

what a beautiful machine

WCPGW with a 18 year old c5 2.2 HDi?

why can't i just go out and buy a spaceship civic 1.8 petrol......mind you, that's too reliable for my liking

oh i'm absolutely sure there will be many entertaining posts when i inevitably buy a basket case of a C5

Went over to county durham looking for snow today, as i realise i might not have another chance to test the Michelin tyres in snow

it was worth it and exciting!

it's almost picturesque, this is spennymoor so it's not picturesque!

but i enjoyed myself

134142918_3670045196386220_9030870047503636427_o.thumb.jpg.34ba905d6b19a3679f0b4cb7ebd0d623.jpg

oooooooooh snowy picasso!

134251102_3670045036386236_7792638638831724889_o.thumb.jpg.eae5c7e4030f7b2eff63728b85ed6b29.jpg

very good tyres! excellent grip in the snow and ice and other associated crap

made a video of them which i'll upload and edit at some point

Just my twopennorth maxxo (and I know fuck all about c5s) but choose the engine and box combo that most say gives the least grief. Weve got @twosmoke300 @NorthernMonkey   and @Barry Cadein the trade that I know of in here and I can ask my family as well if you want. If you want a c5 then go for it but don't spoil it for yourself by buying one thats near guaranteed to go badly wrong. Best of luck pal and looking forward to seeing the result. 

4 minutes ago, Matty said:

Just my twopennorth maxxo (and I know fuck all about c5s) but choose the engine and box combo that most say gives the least grief. Weve got @twosmoke300 @NorthernMonkey   and @Barry Cadein the trade that I know of in here and I can ask my family as well if you want. If you want a c5 then go for it but don't spoil it for yourself by buying one thats near guaranteed to go badly wrong. Best of luck pal and looking forward to seeing the result. 

i'm not especially scared of the 2.2, the AL4 doesn't bother me as i have little choice due to wanting an auto

DPF doesn't bother me, albeit it's annoying it needs maintenance every 50k but that i can deal with.....swirl flaps are concerning but again not too hard to remove

ideally it would be a 2.0 HDi auto, but the right car with a 2.2 doesn't bother me

annoyingly it drove so well, and unforunately i fell in love

5 hours ago, maxxo said:

i'm not especially scared of the 2.2, the AL4 doesn't bother me as i have little choice due to wanting an auto

DPF doesn't bother me, albeit it's annoying it needs maintenance every 50k but that i can deal with.....swirl flaps are concerning but again not too hard to remove

ideally it would be a 2.0 HDi auto, but the right car with a 2.2 doesn't bother me

annoyingly it drove so well, and unforunately i fell in love

Thats the problem with advice. I cant follow my own! There's loads of shit i want that I know is shit 😆 How's about the worst gearbox hanging off the best engine?

1 hour ago, Matty said:

Thats the problem with advice. I cant follow my own! There's loads of shit i want that I know is shit 😆 How's about the worst gearbox hanging off the best engine?

Had to physcially restrain myself from enquiring about a 1.6 HDi c4 picasso with the rear air suspension and the EGS box

now that's a car i hope i never buy, but i do like the way they look......but i know they're shit

Went out today

it was snowing!

135310831_3679425122114894_783705080161656336_o.thumb.jpg.6e797e3ca80fbea4a8fc10f79fe88832.jpg

actual proper snow too!

i was one of the only cars not getting stuck on side roads

Michelin CrossClimate+'s continue to impress me, only had the ABS kick in once too!

very very little wheel spin and the car felt rock solid

yes they're expensive as hell and probably overpriced, but, i really do like them

enjoy a shot of a winter picasso, yes i did clear the snow from my front plate, one of the few who did

also started up very well at 0c today

seems the issue from last winter was the battery

134806500_3679425805448159_8832949517424315164_o.thumb.jpg.c117dc12ea800f8cbd0b8e804b5ad599.jpg

Just keep your own car going till the right C5 comes up.  That will take time.  There are some silly asking prices for them too.

You know? £1500 for 3 and 4 plates and the like.  Need to be a low mileage clean garage find for that money.

2 minutes ago, lexi said:

Just keep your own car going till the right C5 comes up.  That will take time.  There are some silly asking prices for them too.

You know? £1500 for 3 and 4 plates and the like.  Need to be a low mileage clean garage find for that money.

Being portuguese, i wish we had UK car prices.... A year ago, a friend of mine paid like 2000€ for a Grilyne-colored 2001 saloon, 2.0 HDI manual, and we all thought it was an amazing price

8 minutes ago, lexi said:

i know.....i just get attached and fall in love with cars very easily

hmmmmmmmm

cracking on 10 months without any significant problems

quite impressed i must admit

sure it still idles like dog shit when cold, but a quick fix is to drive off immediately and then it's fine so "sick fix yo" etc etc

i know one thing for sure, the wiper blades desperately need cleaning!

i doubt i'm going to be doing too much work to this car now, all being well and we go back to tiers in mid feb i'll be buying a c5 and the picasso will be going to a new home (shiter of course)

obviously if it's safetly related then it will be done

On 1/3/2021 at 12:42 AM, maxxo said:

i know.....i just get attached and fall in love with cars very easily

This is the reason I wouldn’t buy a 2.2 hdi, if I was you. Buying one for 500 quid or so and running it till inevitable failure wouldn’t be a bad plan.

ive followed your thread here with interest, and I don’t think you’re the type to do that. You really don’t want to get involved in getting a teenage 2.2 hdi right In all ways, the stress would drive you mad! Just my opinion, thought wise to try and explain it better. 

1 hour ago, rickvw72 said:

This is the reason I wouldn’t buy a 2.2 hdi, if I was you. Buying one for 500 quid or so and running it till inevitable failure wouldn’t be a bad plan.

ive followed your thread here with interest, and I don’t think you’re the type to do that. You really don’t want to get involved in getting a teenage 2.2 hdi right In all ways, the stress would drive you mad! Just my opinion, thought wise to try and explain it better. 

That's very true, it will inevitably turn into an endless money pit unfortunately

if i could afford it i'd be tempted to play it extremely safe and get one of these

image.thumb.png.00d43549e48e5d23670764f47c42a94e.png

but i feel an elderly end of life C5 will be much more unpredictable and fun

On 1/7/2021 at 1:31 PM, rickvw72 said:

This 100%. You approach car ownership on the basis of a perfectionist. If you want a c5 then get one but a bad one would drive you insane

On 1/10/2021 at 4:45 PM, Matty said:

This 100%. You approach car ownership on the basis of a perfectionist. If you want a c5 then get one but a bad one would drive you insane

Ideally i'd be looking to make an average one into an excellent one

oh how i wish i was the sort who could do bangernomics, i'd save tons of money

Tomorrow i am going to get that spare wheel down!

and in the process no doubt injure myself

i will be armed with tools!!

well, i'll go to halfords in the morning, spend many minutes looking at overpriced tools.....forget what i came in for and buy some stupid air freshner

then have to go back out and buy a tool which probably won't help in the slightest

• 2 weeks later...

Been one of those days and i haven't even started work

fucking dust caps

went to check the tyre pressures.....yes! i actually do that!

dropped a fucking dust cap through a gap in the wheel, put my hand behind (which got absolutely filthy with brake dust might i add) and couldn't find it

not to worry, i'll pop over to halfords and get some, need some winter screen wash anyway

nope they don't sell standard dust caps

oh and i got stuck in traffic because someone had a very minor accident and decided the best place to stop was in the middle of 2 lanes

home now thank god

completely fed up of life today lol

51 minutes ago, maxxo said:

Been one of those days and i haven't even started work

fucking dust caps

went to check the tyre pressures.....yes! i actually do that!

dropped a fucking dust cap through a gap in the wheel, put my hand behind (which got absolutely filthy with brake dust might i add) and couldn't find it

not to worry, i'll pop over to halfords and get some, need some winter screen wash anyway

nope they don't sell standard dust caps

oh and i got stuck in traffic because someone had a very minor accident and decided the best place to stop was in the middle of 2 lanes

home now thank god

completely fed up of life today lol

They are in the normal small parts sections not the modified area.

Picked these up only last weekend.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-accessories/exterior-styling/halfords-tyre-valve-dust-caps-hfx368-212423.html

14 minutes ago, Agila said:

They are in the normal small parts sections not the modified area.

Picked these up only last weekend.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-accessories/exterior-styling/halfords-tyre-valve-dust-caps-hfx368-212423.html

ended up just buying from amazon

i searched the whole store (unless i was being blind which is likely) but couldn't find them

I dropped a valve cover the other day, it rolled away. I pinched one from a to_be_replaced rear, then as I was putting the last cap on found loads by the machine... Fitted one back! 

I remember we had new tyres on the meriva and 2 had shit valves. We're at amys dad's and I noticed one was a bit flat, then loosened the cap and it started going even flatter... Quick trip to the nearest forecourt, then the caps on really tight did the job and national re did the valves a few days later