Picasso restoration.......a tale of idiocy and citroen fun

maxxo

2 minutes ago, maxxo said:

Best looking car out the lot though, Xsara's are very nice cars especially in estate form

I dunno, I'm not a fan of its looks yet tbh... Luckily looks are fairly bottom of the list when looking for cars! Unless it's a Picasso... 

Its such an odd car. Some bits look nice, some utterly fugly! Can't see any of that from inside though, insides lovely, like a mini 406 (with comical zx blanking plates that match nothing else on the dash) 

4 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

I dunno, I'm not a fan of its looks yet tbh... Luckily looks are fairly bottom of the list when looking for cars! Unless it's a Picasso... 

Its such an odd car. Some bits look nice, some utterly fugly! Can't see any of that from inside though, insides lovely, like a mini 406 (with comical zx blanking plates that match nothing else on the dash) 

Hey don't knock the picasso it's a beautiful car!

yeah the old xsara's are odd, very rare nowadays too, I like them a lot though

I've just read this thread. Is this your first car, Maxxo? Interestingly enough, and 800 was my first ever car.

The Picasso - not my thing, but I'm not one to judge other's people's passions. 

These are where 405 estates were about ten years ago: good for the tip run, for decorators to throw paint smothered ladders in and not much else, normally purchased for £500 or thereabouts and driven until they break beyond economical repair. 

Now all the decent 405 estates are gone, and everyone wants one. 

Carry on enjoying and loving your Picasso, and in ten years time, take it to the Festival and listen to the "...It's YEARS since I've seen one that tidy!" comments.

13 hours ago, TheXUDfiles said:

I've just read this thread. Is this your first car, Maxxo? Interestingly enough, and 800 was my first ever car.

The Picasso - not my thing, but I'm not one to judge other's people's passions. 

These are where 405 estates were about ten years ago: good for the tip run, for decorators to throw paint smothered ladders in and not much else, normally purchased for £500 or thereabouts and driven until they break beyond economical repair. 

Now all the decent 405 estates are gone, and everyone wants one. 

Carry on enjoying and loving your Picasso, and in ten years time, take it to the Festival and listen to the "...It's YEARS since I've seen one that tidy!" comments.

Technically it's not my first car (had a 2014 polo 1.2? for about 2 weeks.....i hated that thing) but i count it as my first car.

Yup and these picassos will be almost all gone in the next well maybe as little as 2-3 years with the way it seems to be going.

I'd say it's one of the few tidy ones out there sadly, which is a shame as they're pretty quirky as so very 2000s

3 hours ago, Cooper1 said:

There is fuck all in this thread that I don't like.. :food-smiley-015: 

Seldom see these looked after, i've done my fair share of Sills on them ' i'd be inclined to pump some Waxoyl into the cavities Fnarr.. ;) 

Most of them haven't been serviced, bashed around and just generally abused....i bet the sills kill a lot of them too

waxoyl is a job for this year, no point doing it now as winter is almost over and it needs a deep clean to remove all the salt

On 2/19/2020 at 10:39 PM, maxxo said:

OH MY an automatic too!!!

i love those cars

I had the saloon version 12 or so years ago, cost me £50 with full mot and lasted me 2 years before I stopped driving due to going on Oxycontin and feeling too stoned to be safe. I have a fondness for them just down to the sterling service the one I had gave me, it passed 2 mots with no work under my ownership and all I replaced were 2 tyres and break pads. 

30 minutes ago, Alex66 said:

I had the saloon version 12 or so years ago, cost me £50 with full mot and lasted me 2 years before I stopped driving due to going on Oxycontin and feeling too stoned to be safe. I have a fondness for them just down to the sterling service the one I had gave me, it passed 2 mots with no work under my ownership and all I replaced were 2 tyres and break pads. 

That's how I feel about laguna2's. I never had any massive issue in mine (nothing I wouldn't expect from any other car) and have nothing but fond memories of them! 

Wouldn't spend the £7/800 people think their worth on one, but I wouldn't kick a cheap one out of bed either! 

3 hours ago, beko1987 said:

That's how I feel about laguna2's. I never had any massive issue in mine (nothing I wouldn't expect from any other car) and have nothing but fond memories of them! 

Wouldn't spend the £7/800 people think their worth on one, but I wouldn't kick a cheap one out of bed either! 

Gonner 2's are awesome, when they're not overpriced they can make excellent vehicles

They just need maintenance and people seem to be lacking the need to maintain a car once it's more than 10 years old which is sad

Thought you'd like this..just popped up on Gumtree: https://www.gumtree.com/p/citroen/citroen-xsara-picasso-desire-/1367130115

Picasso Desire 1.6 with 65k on the clock. 12 months MOT

This is the sort of thing I buy and think it'll be a bargain and will just need a drop of oil and a cheap tyre or two... but then I don't know where stop with repairs...

25 minutes ago, Prote said:

Thought you'd like this..just popped up on Gumtree: https://www.gumtree.com/p/citroen/citroen-xsara-picasso-desire-/1367130115

Picasso Desire 1.6 with 65k on the clock. 12 months MOT

This is the sort of thing I buy and think it'll be a bargain and will just need a drop of oil and a cheap tyre or two... but then I don't know where stop with repairs...

if i bought that it would end up being a full car restoration with many thousands of pounds spent on it.....mmmmm nice

I do love them in red, and that laquer peel mmmmmmm hot

1.6 engine too for maximum speeeeeeeeed***

nothing much to really report, seems to be running better than ever......which i don't like as it means something will go wrong soon

enjoy this picture from today at the beach, look at how my wheel trims glisten in the sun

87486358_2845864395470975_4305648621967114240_o.thumb.jpg.fa94c3d2d074dc490025ba064b44e592.jpg

seaton carew for you location nerds, it's near hartlepool

seaton carew is famous for people in canoes going missing on very calm seas then turning up alive a few years later

27 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

@maxxo see below. Is this on the drivers seat? Is it replaceable (without replacing whole seat) and what is it? TIA

Screenshot_20200224-121948_eBay.jpg

I believe they are, it is or more like was an arm rest that somehow has been properly snapped off.

I think they're easy to replace

48 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Already have :) motor is on ebay. Needs drivers door mirror, gear knob, what I now know is an arm rest :) a sill welded and a couple of bushes. Probably needs belts too. Ticket till Oct which is good. Will know in 8 hrs, whether in doing collection this weekend.

I hope to read a collection thread if it happens

almost certainly will need a timing belt.....going by the arm rest i'm guessing service history is erm...lacking lets say

5 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Can a Haynes 3 spanner monkey like me do the cambelt on these or it it a pig of a job. It's a 1.8 pez

I can't see it being too horrific tbh, at least you got the good petrol engine

i can imagine it being a pain but not impossible

3 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Sorry for hijacking your thread with questions. Will delete them if you want

absolutely not! there is nothing at all to be sorry for

If you get the car i have a haynes manual (albeit for an 04 to 10) but i think the 1.8 engine is in there so i can scan the pages for you that are relevant

6 minutes ago, Nyphur said:

Not been on the forum much these days, just catching up with some threads. Some good work on this one, looks good when its all cleaned up. Not convinced by that bonnet sticker, but to each his own.

What camera is that you used for your POV video?

the camera is an "APEMAN" action camera from amazon, only cost £30 and really isn't bad at all

I've had very mixed responses with the bonnet sticker, i like it but as you said each to their own

Those cheap action cameras are surprisingly good in daylight conditions - anything slightly below and they’re thoroughly out of their depth but for £30 you can’t really go wrong. They come with a ton of accessories too if it’s anything like the one I bought. 

A used GoPro is a better bet for less than perfect conditions but you’re looking at £80 plus the cost of mounts etc. 

2 hours ago, Kiltox said:

Those cheap action cameras are surprisingly good in daylight conditions - anything slightly below and they’re thoroughly out of their depth but for £30 you can’t really go wrong. They come with a ton of accessories too if it’s anything like the one I bought. 

A used GoPro is a better bet for less than perfect conditions but you’re looking at £80 plus the cost of mounts etc. 

I have an Apeman camera (I thought Maxxo must have one from the start up sound on his pov video) and I would say that night time filming gives pretty good results even out of town with no street lights. The rear cam is of the potato variety though.

18 minutes ago, FakeConcern said:

I have an Apeman camera (I thought Maxxo must have one from the start up sound on his pov video) and I would say that night time filming gives pretty good results even out of town with no street lights. The rear cam is of the potato variety though.

The dashcam is a Viofo A129 duo pro thingy, very very expensive for a dashcam but really quite good

On 1/7/2020 at 7:36 PM, maxxo said:

awful sound sorry, i left the waterproof case on the camera

must admit the image quality is excellent for something that cost £30 and the app is pretty good too

I’ve always been a sucker for a digital dash. I’m assuming the early Picassos are van bus and the later ones are can bus like 307s? If so does anyone know if an early Picasso dash would work in an early 307?

20 minutes ago, rainagain said:

I’ve always been a sucker for a digital dash. I’m assuming the early Picassos are van bus and the later ones are can bus like 307s? If so does anyone know if an early Picasso dash would work in an early 307?

They're all van bus as far as i'm aware, using an early and weird multiplexing system that can be very flaky but seems to work well.

I don't think the dash would work in a 307 tbh, i'd imagine the wiring system to be quite different