Picasso restoration.......a tale of idiocy and citroen fun

maxxo

I bought one of these beauties to move nearly a year ago, serviced it when bought just in case it needed it and it has only once had a splutter last Sat it did not want to start then sprang into life. She has been steller but being a 1.8 thirst it seems round town. It now seems to be needing a fair bit of work and I was intending on getting a smaller car once we had moved, but I really don't want to scrap her as she has served me so well. I also don't want to keep her, wanting a smaller Citroen just she is pretty rough looking from before I had her. They are great cars though my elderly father raves about how comfortable it is. 

5 minutes ago, Alex66 said:

I bought one of these beauties to move nearly a year ago, serviced it when bought just in case it needed it and it has only once had a splutter last Sat it did not want to start then sprang into life. She has been steller but being a 1.8 thirst it seems round town. It now seems to be needing a fair bit of work and I was intending on getting a smaller car once we had moved, but I really don't want to scrap her as she has served me so well. I also don't want to keep her, wanting a smaller Citroen just she is pretty rough looking from before I had her. They are great cars though my elderly father raves about how comfortable it is. 

The sad thing is these cars seem to be getting abused these days.....looking at them i'd say a good 80% are starting to look like wrecks which is a massive shame as they're fantastic cars and quite nice to drive.

i'd have another, actually i'll probably end up having another some day

I do like the 1.8, quite rare these days too

One thing this car loves to do is eat bulbs, had an indicator bulb blow today....must admit they are quite easy to change surprisingly for a french car.

In my ownership i've had 2 headlight bulbs blow (first replacement was dodgy i suspect) a brake light and a rear indicator so not too horrific really.

otherwise the car is actually doing rather well, picked up a spare maf sensor (it was free anyway) today

I had a v70 that used to eat headlight bulbs for some reason. They were a ball ache to do as well. I think the official method was to remove the front bumper skin and then the headlight. 

I used to take it to my local garage. They had it down to a fine art with a mirror although it did take two of them. It was a fiver well earned imo.

59 minutes ago, paulplom said:

I had a v70 that used to eat headlight bulbs for some reason. They were a ball ache to do as well. I think the official method was to remove the front bumper skin and then the headlight. 

I used to take it to my local garage. They had it down to a fine art with a mirror although it did take two of them. It was a fiver well earned imo.

My V70 also eats bulbs for breakfast, apparently it's a thing for lots of them?

The first rear indicator bulb took 45 minutes , now down to under 5mins... Dipped/main beam were much the same, now I can whip them out and change a few minutes  per side.

@maxxo, you might want to get a multimeter on and check your alternator isn't overcharging stuff and that voltages are as they should be, mine's fine and it turns out it's just an Ovlov quirk but well worth making sure it isn't anything sinister on yours (Citroen-itis etc)

8 hours ago, Rod/b said:

Common sign of paranormal energy, bulbs blowing. I’d suggest ringing Derek Acorah, but well, you know....

Sad but true!

absolutely typical of me to get a weird car

6 hours ago, paulplom said:

I think i have the only french car in existance it's actually easy to change the bulbs on!

5 hours ago, Shirley Knott said:

My V70 also eats bulbs for breakfast, apparently it's a thing for lots of them?

The first rear indicator bulb took 45 minutes , now down to under 5mins... Dipped/main beam were much the same, now I can whip them out and change a few minutes  per side.

@maxxo, you might want to get a multimeter on and check your alternator isn't overcharging stuff and that voltages are as they should be, mine's fine and it turns out it's just an Ovlov quirk but well worth making sure it isn't anything sinister on yours (Citroen-itis etc)

I did check the voltages a few weeks back and they looked to be spot on, the alernator isn't that old either as it was apparently replaced in 2017

Talk about a concerning monent.......

So tonight in this storm, and the rain was actually rather decent i had to drive through a decently flooded road (great!)

of course the traffic slowed right down, and whilst worrying about the air intake as it's low on these.....my attention was drawn to the dash by *beeep beeep*

"battery charge fault" and the battery light on.............fucking great

no power steering............great!!

screeching belt......sudden sense of relief

A few revs later and it was all back to normal, brakes still feel a little weak but i imagine that was due to the sheer amount of water i've had to drive through tonight.

Need to get an undertray

A very overdue clean was completed today, came out rather well i must admit

I see the french use good paint.

We're almost at the stage where the restoration*** is nearing completion,

I need to paint the welded sills body colour soon and sort a few other things but otherwise all seems good especially after driving through the small river last night

86857580_2831182896939125_3251193859710910464_o.thumb.jpg.fd2628ee9b9d392a839e52fe2ea526e2.jpg

86625255_2831183883605693_4714217702510559232_o.thumb.jpg.a936c851de905d2c166d1108b1b60d4b.jpg

86185817_2831183200272428_3547171553705721856_o.thumb.jpg.93ab5de549d68890c2cda78f9afb0e1b.jpg86465661_2831183673605714_3121177168072146944_o.thumb.jpg.dbab7e90a6586c719fdaa18b9c94e084.jpg

86810215_2831183393605742_4317025732636180480_o.thumb.jpg.1670ccbbc1d7128a2a80a958e3ef270d.jpg86194431_2831183063605775_4381053567486656512_o.thumb.jpg.097422d4163b68f4466ddda91b631622.jpg

7 hours ago, maxxo said:

A very overdue clean was completed today, came out rather well i must admit

Wow - shiny! Nice work. I rounded a corner on a lane last week and went surfing too. Surprisingly the car didn't miss a beat despite water going over the roof.

I do notice that my Pigasshole gets really grotty quickly compared to other cars. I'm wondering if it's egg-shaped aerodynamics....?

8 minutes ago, Prote said:

Wow - shiny! Nice work. I rounded a corner on a lane last week and went surfing too. Surprisingly the car didn't miss a beat despite water going over the roof.

I do notice that my Pigasshole gets really grotty quickly compared to other cars. I'm wondering if it's egg-shaped aerodynamics....?

Thank you, it was well worth it, won't stay clean for long though.

Yeah they seem to get filthy very very quickly which is annoying, well that's when you actually see another one that's been washed in the last 10 years

So plans for the year.......

Replace rusted number plate screws (probably fit a plate surround too)

adjust rear torsion bar height

get front and rear bumpers resprayed, dent in door removed and a few other scratches sorted

replace fuel filter

sort of need to replace the battery at some point

replace leather gear gaiter

replace pads and discs + brake fluid

replace brake lines

fit some more "exclusive" spec interior trim

air con clean and recharge

I think that's all it needs, should be a very very nice car once it's all done

59 minutes ago, maxxo said:

Citroen-xSara-Picasso-2000-2009-Dash-Trim-Kit-3M-3D-Wood-Effect-8-Parts

I have also found this stick on wooden trim (oooooh vanden plasss, mega luxury high end yo)

i know for a fact it will be terrible and look very fake! which is what makes it fantastic

Also going to try and track down a leather interior.....far easier said than done

Jesus............that dash looks like something from a plastic rain forest!  ?

3 minutes ago, lexi said:

Jesus............that dash looks like something from a plastic rain forest!  ?

Oh yes! i just love how terrible it looks

hopefully if i wait a week or so before buying it, then it'll be out my system......

it won't i know it won't and i know i'll buy it

I like pickarseholes even less now... 

Trying to Google ANYTHING for my xsara just brings up Picasso stuff! Even ebay need some to hit the 'my car' button with everything meticulously plumbed in to filter them out! 

Even the handbook has them in

IMG_20200219_213009.thumb.jpg.aa968af532bb029a89cf8efd81ba72cd.jpg

I didn't realise there was such a crossover with them tbh. They share parts too, my indicator stalk is dodgy and a Picasso one plugs right in, the MFD upgrade which I'm trying very hard to ignore needs a Picasso mfd wiper stalk and a bit of chopped loom to impliment. 

7 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

I like pickarseholes even less now... 

Trying to Google ANYTHING for my xsara just brings up Picasso stuff! Even ebay need some to hit the 'my car' button with everything meticulously plumbed in to filter them out! 

Even the handbook has them in

IMG_20200219_213009.thumb.jpg.aa968af532bb029a89cf8efd81ba72cd.jpg

I didn't realise there was such a crossover with them tbh. They share parts too, my indicator stalk is dodgy and a Picasso one plugs right in, the MFD upgrade which I'm trying very hard to ignore needs a Picasso mfd wiper stalk and a bit of chopped loom to impliment. 

at least you don't have the comms2000 unit which fail constantly......mines fine apart from the awul noise when indicating right.

i bet you i'm the only one who's dreamed of owning a picasso for the last 15 years, mind you xsara's are nice too

Just now, maxxo said:

at least you don't have the comms2000 unit which fail constantly......mines fine apart from the awul noise when indicating right.

i bet you i'm the only one who's dreamed of owning a picasso for the last 15 years, mind you xsara's are nice too

My 406 had it! Luckily* I scrapped it before the mot, thay was one of the reasons. 

I do have indicator issues, it doesn't indicate left all the time, mainly when the car is cold. Doesn't feel crunchy though, I'm hoping I can just buy another stalk as it works if I barely press down on it.

Luckily I only turn right 3 times each way on my drive to work... 

2 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

My 406 had it! Luckily* I scrapped it before the mot, thay was one of the reasons. 

I do have indicator issues, it doesn't indicate left all the time, mainly when the car is cold. Doesn't feel crunchy though, I'm hoping I can just buy another stalk as it works if I barely press down on it.

Luckily I only turn right 3 times each way on my drive to work... 

mine crunches horribly when pushing it up to turn right, sometimes it feels fine other times feels awful.

also if i'm indicating right then turn the wheel back quickly it starts indicating left which could be exciting, the wiper stalk weirdly feels fine

well apart from the rear wiper switch that feels like it's going to fall off.........it had better no fall off because i'd be most upset about a non functioning rear wiper