Picasso restoration.......a tale of idiocy and citroen fun

maxxo

Picassos did do some oddities. I've had a few. I had a Y plate 1.6 sx,rusty and ropey

X reg metallic green rag top 1.6

52 plate exclusive 1.8 that currently lives on this forum somewhere with a 2.0 manual engine and box.

52 plate 1.6 sx 

05 plate sx hdi for spares. Bought with blown engine

X reg 2.0 hdi lx trim. Quite an odd one as it had no armrests,air con etc but had the diesel lump

The other oddities were the 52 plate exclusive was pre bsi yet the 52 plate sx had bsi but had the early style dash binnacle. 

the specs are really weird, everything electronic seemed to change in 2003 with the later control unit and they suffered from less dashboard failures.

when i was a kid my dad had a w reg 1.6 petrol lx in silver (the ultimate base model picasso)

good cars though, pretty quirky and the dashboard looks really good

That's the point I was making with oddities. I've had and seen 2002 cats pre and post bsi. Also have sen an 04 reg running pre bsi stalks and early steering wheel so I'd guess no bsi either.  Both my 52 regs had same orange cold light on temp gauge yet only one was bsi and I've seen later blue cold temp light dashboards on pre facelifts too. My exclusive had the full length roof which you very rarely seen on the later facelift exclusives and later ones also got cruise,stability control and a slightly different button layout. I was offered a 52 reg exclusive hdi with the full length roof and leather interior which I've never seen before. If you wanted to have all three sliding rear seats they do just clip in place as does the passenger seat with quick release for battery. Easy straight swap 

12 hours ago, bub2006 said:

That's the point I was making with oddities. I've had and seen 2002 cats pre and post bsi. Also have sen an 04 reg running pre bsi stalks and early steering wheel so I'd guess no bsi either.  Both my 52 regs had same orange cold light on temp gauge yet only one was bsi and I've seen later blue cold temp light dashboards on pre facelifts too. My exclusive had the full length roof which you very rarely seen on the later facelift exclusives and later ones also got cruise,stability control and a slightly different button layout. I was offered a 52 reg exclusive hdi with the full length roof and leather interior which I've never seen before. If you wanted to have all three sliding rear seats they do just clip in place as does the passenger seat with quick release for battery. Easy straight swap 

they're just weird, mines an 05 so obviously has the bsi stalks, which surpisingly aren't broken like most of them are. mine has the blue dot on the temp guage but weirdly all the bars in the fuel guage are green when most of them have the bottom bar being red.

i would love an exclusive with the full length roof and a leather interior, i bet that was actually really nice.

11 hours ago, Ben_O said:

I thought of this thread the other day at work when i had a Picasso to repair.

I was told it had a small hole on the sill to quickly plate over for the mot.

Yeah.....

Yours looks great though. A real credit to you

20191216_111414.jpg

ah the joys of picasso ownership and sills which fill with crap and stale water and rust through

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

For MOT time ‘scrape a test’ type welding that’s very good. It’s usually a plate pigeon shit welded on then smothered in tiger seal to cover up the porous welds and gaps.

the guy who did my sills ran a strip of sealant across the whole sill panel front to back which looks a lot better than just a patch.

man i wish i could weld i could make a lot of money from it............ although known me i would do days worth of welding for £20

You are right sierraman there is money in welding the right vehicles.

I restore classic mini's day to day and don't tend to touch any thing mot welding wise.

It was the fact that the owner of that Picasso wanted it repaired properly rather than a patch that reminded me of this thread. The putting of money into a car that isn't strictly worth spending on especially on cosmetics. The love of the unloved I suppose.

That's what I love about autoshite

5 minutes ago, Ben_O said:

You are right sierraman there is money in welding the right vehicles.

I restore classic mini's day to day and don't tend to touch any thing mot welding wise.

It was the fact that the owner of that Picasso wanted it repaired properly rather than a patch that reminded me of this thread. The putting of money into a car that isn't strictly worth spending on especially on cosmetics. The love of the unloved I suppose.

That's what I love about autoshite

i love unloved cars, they're special and usually very good.

in 3 or so years i'm telling you these picassos will be getting a rare sight on the roads, guess in 10 or so they will start becoming classics

7 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

It'll be in 16 years when someone wants a sill and we all find out there either nla or £340 from the citroen equivilant of rimmers at the time... How we laughed (or will) 

It's a pain trying to get parts from citroen for anything older than 10 anyway.....

7 minutes ago, maxxo said:

It's a pain trying to get parts from citroen for anything older than 10 anyway.....

It makes xantia and xm owning a pain. Everything from uber critical lhm system components to trim pieces. Nla! 

I remember when the meriva needed a windscreen, I logged onto our insurance windscreen site and did that. I then put the xantia reg no in and it said please call... Put me off it a bit

I must say Evans halshaw citroen in stockton on tees are absolutely useless,...

about a month ago i ordered the hooks for the rear blind and almost forgot about them until they called yesterday to let me know it's in stock, however i spent 30 minutes in the parts department today waiting to pick them up and not a soul to be seen..

yeah sod them i'm not gonna bother going for it