Picasso restoration.......a tale of idiocy and citroen fun

maxxo

There was a recall of all Citroëns back in the late noughties as regards to the potential broken spring - tyre piercing issue. All Picassos Berlingos and C3s etc were recalled to have lower spring cup shrouds fitted to stop any spring piercing the front tyre. 

Your car obviously missed this recall. Next time your parked next to a Picasso you'll probably see what should have been fitted. 

Their not hard to fit, its in two parts and clamps around the spring base. I'm sure there are quite a few on scrap Picassos/Berlingos that you could plunder and fit or have fitted to have extra piece of mind.  With the weather getting colder, snapped springs are a pretty common weakness on all cars this time of year. 

Thanks, i'm going to get in touch with citroen and see if they will do the work as part of a recall.

I'm on a picasso owners facebook page and someone has just got citroen to fit them on their xsara picasso, I want them fitting as i do not want a repeat of the spring snapping again.

Wish me luck, i'm going to firstly pop into the local citroen dealer to ask about it, then if that fails i will call citroen uk

So many updates,

The problems i was having was due to the strut mount not being fully tightened, it's all sorted now which is good (never known a mechanic apologise as much as mine did and for what he charges i've really got a good one)

Also i called citroen UK and it sounds as though i may be able to get the spring cups fitted for free which should happen.

80814071_2704465742944175_3891052190478893056_o.thumb.jpg.8e44e316a17ebf247e36f761bb8d9c5f.jpg

So 700 miles on from the spring incident.

Everything is back to normal, pablo the picasso is driving great and in an un shite like way everything is still working well!

covered 200 miles today up to whitley bay via consett, then sunderland, back via consett to middlesbrough and averaged 56mpg which i'm happy with.

still a surprisingly clean too as i haven't cleaned in a few days

Firstly hope all on autoshite had an excellent christmas!

Everything in life with a picasso is going fine, the battery still hasn't died which is nice.

seems to be driving very well.........almost too well which means something is probably going to break soon

We found a nice blue friend today, in exclusive spec! however missing it's rear wiper which is a tragedy.

20191226_133047.thumb.jpg.870b9bfaad82fe3e3434fd3bb4a5b189.jpg

..............Pretends i haven't noticed how mine is very low at the rear........

it'll be fineeee

I just found this thread today! You sir, are a nutter!

When I was 20 I was cutting about in a diesel 6n polo neglecting to do anything but spray over the rapidly spreading rust and putting fancy headlight bulbs in.

As has been said elsewhere in the thread, a good car is one that gets you places. Bonus points for having one you like, especially if it's something nobody else likes. I get a fair few "why don't you just get a new car"s about the 850, some people just don't get it.

Watching out for future updates with interest!

Indeed i am!

I'm one of the only 20 year olds with a picasso, probably one of the only ones who loves them.

I love how much people hate these picassos, totally unjustified of course. Mine is one of the few probably over maintained examples out there.

Oh yeah i fell out with one of my friends recently after he kept almost trying to force me to get a brand new shitbox (and a few other things)

Don't worry there will be many updates to come, i have a lot more stuff planned for pablo the picasso

They're awkward, quirky as hell, and they usually rattle.....

but they just waft along and are extremely comfortable, you grow to love them

Once you own one the looks really grow on you

Then you realise nothing else really fits so well as these, maybe i'm just weird but i love then

Looks good @maxxo, I bought a load of valeting gear away with me in the hope to get out there and polish it to unwind but I am unsure as to whether it is worth doing as I cleaned it at one of those jet wash bays at the local petrol station the other day, then polished and really it needs a good clay bar as when you run your hand over the panels it still has a rough texture meaning there are still contaminants on the surface. Some bilt hamber clay bar has been ordered and an expert in the field contacted who has very kindly offered to help me get it together when I get back. 

I like Autoglym super resin polish, easy to use and full of fillers which helps mask scratches however the dust produced when removing does somewhat get annoying and gets into all the nooks and crannies. 

On a slightly different note, the Collinite 574 I normally use as my wax is very good however I watched a youtube video showing how little wax you actually need to wax a car and you need virtually none. So what I'm saying is I'm using way to much.....but I just dont know any other way......I feel like it must get a bloody good coating and proper coverage to feel like I've given it proper protection...... 

Wheels off on the xantia, tardis the lot and protect is next on the books when i get back.....as well as a full on interior detail when I swap the interior over from my estate as I have a full leather interior to go in the car. I got drill brushes for christmas, a new drill and a steam cleaner for steaming the interior plastics. Got a wetvac already so feel like I've got a right little arsenal now. 

Need to tidy up my steel wheels like you did too mate. 

Keep the updates coming! Like following this!

1 hour ago, Wingz123 said:

Looks good @maxxo, I bought a load of valeting gear away with me in the hope to get out there and polish it to unwind but I am unsure as to whether it is worth doing as I cleaned it at one of those jet wash bays at the local petrol station the other day, then polished and really it needs a good clay bar as when you run your hand over the panels it still has a rough texture meaning there are still contaminants on the surface. Some bilt hamber clay bar has been ordered and an expert in the field contacted who has very kindly offered to help me get it together when I get back. 

I like Autoglym super resin polish, easy to use and full of fillers which helps mask scratches however the dust produced when removing does somewhat get annoying and gets into all the nooks and crannies. 

On a slightly different note, the Collinite 574 I normally use as my wax is very good however I watched a youtube video showing how little wax you actually need to wax a car and you need virtually none. So what I'm saying is I'm using way to much.....but I just dont know any other way......I feel like it must get a bloody good coating and proper coverage to feel like I've given it proper protection...... 

Wheels off on the xantia, tardis the lot and protect is next on the books when i get back.....as well as a full on interior detail when I swap the interior over from my estate as I have a full leather interior to go in the car. I got drill brushes for christmas, a new drill and a steam cleaner for steaming the interior plastics. Got a wetvac already so feel like I've got a right little arsenal now. 

Need to tidy up my steel wheels like you did too mate. 

Keep the updates coming! Like following this!

i will admit i probably over polish it, the paintwork is silky smooth and the metallic shine really comes through when the sun hits.

I will check out that wax, as at the moment i'm really happy with the autoglym aquawax, really helps with the drying process too and surprisingly streak free!

Job for tomorrow is a full interior clean, probably use the vaccum at tesco as well it's a lot easier than lugging the dyson outside and trying to find all the attachments, actually cleaned the interior glass today which is really nice as well i can see behind me now and should help with rear dashcam footage especially at night.

1 hour ago, Wingz123 said:

Oh and words of wisdom - stay away from strong chemicals they use down the local hand car wash on that chrome trim.....itll rip it to shreds and discolour it!

Oh yeah! i wouldn't use a hand car wash anyway, i really enjoy cleaning myself plus i can do it to a standard which i find satisfactory........

I have one of the oldest cars on my street yet i'm the only one who ever cleans their car it seems and the only one who actually checks the fluids.

1 hour ago, beko1987 said:

Very nice! You want a foam lance for your pressure washer next! 

Oh i already have one, don't have any "snow foam" at the moment though

4 minutes ago, maxxo said:

I'm also considering trying to find a left hand drive drivers seat for the passenger side, mainly have to have lumbar support on both sides,

No doubt will be a huge pain and not worth the expense

I dunno, sounds quite easy for @Saabnut to lob on the trailer one day and meet you in the UK. Or @hairnet could strap one to his pillion maybe?