1994 Lada Samara 1.5 GL Saloon

howe

On 10/29/2019 at 7:58 PM, Fumbler said:

I love that car SO much! May I have dibs when you sell? ?

Looking forward to more content of this fine automobile.

You can, but I doubt it'll be available any time soon ?

On 10/29/2019 at 7:24 PM, Zelandeth said:

Save yourself a large amount of frustration and just solder the wires directly to the PCB the tail lights are fed from...the slide connector they used to connect to the clusters is beyond useless.

On 10/29/2019 at 10:27 PM, Zelandeth said:

The main issues I had with it were minor but annoying QC issues...the gearknob came off in my hand more than once, the self park function on the wipers had a mind of its own, and the connectors between the tail lights and the loom were a continual source of dodgy brake lights or indicators.  The interior always felt like it was in imminent danger of falling apart too...just never instilled any real confidence, unlike the Riva and Niva which feel like they'd be good candidates for transport after the apocalypse wipes out civilization as we know it.

Heater on mine was barely warm too which surprised me, though I think that was probably more an issue with my car than the model.

Oh...and the windscreen wipers used to lift completely off the windscreen above 70mph...or 40 if you had a strong headwind...which happens quite a lot in northern Scotland!

I'll have a look at the slide connector at some point, no problems as of nowthough.

I have a couple quality issues I need to resolve too.. It's waiting for a replacement handle for the handbrake after it slid off the end and snapped, a couple of trim pieces don't quite fit together anymore and the dealer option steering wheel is falling to pieces.

My heater barely functions too, I'd imagine something needs fixed rather than how they are with it being built with Russian winters in mind, I also have this issue with the wipers ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had one of these from new. Sorry, it was a horrible car. Biggest mistake I ever made. The door trims fell off after 5 minutes, the drivers seat wore through in no time. There was a bar in the seat that dug into the back. The clutch failed after 11,000 miles, just out of warranty. I sold it after four years and 28,000 miles and bought myself a Skoda Favorit. Much better car. It was the one and only new car I ever bought. It put me off buying new forever. I now practice 'bangernomics'. 

46 minutes ago, 2flags said:

I had one of these from new. Sorry, it was a horrible car. Biggest mistake I ever made. The door trims fell off after 5 minutes, the drivers seat wore through in no time. There was a bar in the seat that dug into the back. The clutch failed after 11,000 miles, just out of warranty. I sold it after four years and 28,000 miles and bought myself a Skoda Favorit. Much better car. It was the one and only new car I ever bought. It put me off buying new forever. I now practice 'bangernomics'. 

Sucks to be a peasant.

But a peasant who drives a Jag. ?? Seriously, more power to those who wish to save cars like these. It was for me an interruption of 35 years of owning Rovers, of which I have had many. I still have my Landrover which I intend to keep forever.

• 2 months later...
16 minutes ago, JohnK said:

If you ever fancy making use of that towbar, as hinted by @wuvvum earlier in the thread, I can confirm that they make fantastic* tow cars with incredible* towing manners 

As soon as it's back together with a fresh clutch it's first towing run will be taking an empty car trailer up to Kilmarnock from Carlisle, hopefully all will go well...

The last owner used it to transport motorcycles around on a small trailer.

I'm afraid this may have to go up for sale soon due to a lack of space ?

I'm not sure on what a fair price would be to let it go for, it's just had fresh gaskets and seals all round, belts, a new clutch and lightened flywheel, fresh tires, new vac lines, new pads and disks and it has a Weber 32/34 carb swapped on that I've just rebuilt with a genuine kit as I was intending to keep it but I've got 4 cars to look after and nowhere reliable to put them.

It's on about 46,500 miles right now, the only imperfection at the minute is a sloppy gear linkage. Bodywork wise it's perfect.

18 minutes ago, jamhowe said:

I'm not sure on what a fair price would be to let it go for, it's just had fresh gaskets and seals all round, belts, a new clutch and lightened flywheel, fresh tires, new vac lines, new pads and disks and it has a Weber 32/34 carb swapped on that I've just rebuilt with a genuine kit as I was intending to keep it but I've got 4 cars to look after and nowhere reliable to put them.

It's on about 46,500 miles right now, the only imperfection at the minute is a sloppy gear linkage. Bodywork wise it's perfect.

Must... resist... The Urge.....

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/4/2020 at 7:18 PM, howe said:

That's one of the few cars I'd swap the BX for, obviously including its big sister the Riva.