Audi 100 Diary. MOT Passed 🥳

Spurious

Decided to do a quick oil change today, well supposedly quick. The oil filter is jammed on solid. 

I'd currently like to ring the neck of whomever used a tool to tighten this or didn't use oil on the gasket. 

It's caving in with the wide strap tool. Gonna WD40 it and use some sandpaper between the strap and filter to get some extra torque. 

I really really do not want to use a screwdriver bashed through to get it off... 

Decided to do a quick oil change today, well supposedly quick. The oil filter is jammed on solid. 
I'd currently like to ring the neck of whomever used a tool to tighten this or didn't use oil on the gasket. 
It's caving in with the wide strap tool. Gonna WD40 it and use some sandpaper between the strap and filter to get some extra torque. 
I really really do not want to use a screwdriver bashed through to get it off... 
1+¾ turns beyond hand tight....

Absolute ballache. Sandpaper and WD40 solved it however

4248b03882a5c8e159e631a37a2c5a2a.jpg

First decent run. Brought the father on a day trip to the Lakes today. 

I reckon it's a hell of a lot more fuel efficient cruising on the motorway rather than pottering about town. 

Not formally worked it out by tanking it again but it's done 175 miles and there's a hair above ¾ of a tank. About 39-42mpg or so. Not bad for 30 year old 2.2l car... 

I was thinking it was running far too rich as the town mpg was crap but I suppose it's just a factor of short journeys and cold outside. 

So a little roundup as to what's been done.

Jobs done

• General service (oil, fuel filter and spark plugs, air filter looked spotless so left it be)
  • Fuel pump changed (video to edit...)
  • Alternator belt tensioned right
  • PAS belt replaced with the original.

Jobs to do:

Higher priority

• Sort out some small corrosion at the front end of both sills (realistically, this needs  a tickle of welder so it's a post christmas job financially)
  • Vactan/Paint the wheelarch lips (Front R+L)
  • Same on the boot handle
  • Spare OEM PAS belt in case the original one bites the dust
  • 4 new tyres.   The current ones have loads of thread left.  I think the rears are old enough to vote tbh.  Fronts are okay but scrabble a bit on hard acceleration on take off

Lower priorty

• Pressure check the K Jetronic system.  Either find a cheap tester kit on fleabay or bodge together my own, might give some clues into the ever so slightly (very rare) lumpy run.
  • Paint the wheels beneath the trims, they're getting a bit scabby.

2 hours ago, Dj_efk said:

Polite request - Please consider upping the priority on tyre replacement: Assuming they are summer tyres then especially at this time of the year, if they’re that old they will be lethal in the event you need to swerve / slam the anchors on in an emergency. 

Thank you sir.

Will do. It's a job for the next paycheck, can't go chucking loads of money at it this time of year. 

I've not been driving it that often and the Jimny has all seasons all round so that's more of the winter hack. 

12 hours ago, Spurious said:

• 4 new tyres.   The current ones have loads of thread left.  I think the rears are old enough to vote tbh.  Fronts are okay but scrabble a bit on hard acceleration on take off.

Would this stuff work in the short term until the tyres are replaced?

I had a quick look at the Speedo wibbly woobly needle situation today. 

It's totally intermittent. Sometimes it works fine. Other times it wobbles all over the place. 

Thinking, oh it'll just need a new cable sorting. Spent ages looking for some sort of bowden cable but it doesn't have one however. Fly by wire, with a hall effect sensor and wiring up to the speedo stepper motor. 

I'll have to take the speedo apart. Wahey. Anyone have a wiring diagrams of the instrument cluster pls send my way... 

So, tackled some of the body work tonight...

Boot lid got some Hydrate 80 covered it, quickly started turning black. 

You actually can't really see it closed, it's the angle and it's right up against the bumper. I'll let it cure. I've a little tin of silver rust-oleum metal paint to protect it, tomorrow's job. It'll do till the summer to keep it from getting worse. 

IMG_20191204_152236_1.jpg

Mmm lovely. I particularly like the ‘old logo’ from Auto Union Audi NSU era on the rocker cover with the line through the 4 rings.

I’m less enthusiastic about the rear Audi 100 and 2.2E badges being at different heights. 

Other that that this looks awesome. Hope you get the lumpyness sorted. 

Mmm lovely. I particularly like the ‘old logo’ from Auto Union Audi NSU era on the rocker cover with the line through the 4 rings.
I’m less enthusiastic about the rear Audi 100 and 2.2E badges being at different heights. 
Other that that this looks awesome. Hope you get the lumpyness sorted. 
The rocker cover is getting some painting at some point. It's going on the list, albeit it's a bit of a low priority right now.

And I've never noticed the asymmetric levels. Bah. Can't unsee now

It started running really rough this afternoon. Hot and cold on both idle and overrun. It was kangaroo-ing off throttle a good bit. 

I was thinking there has to be an air leak somewhere and sure enough. I'm pretty sure the injectors are the source. 

There's a little o ring on both the bottom and the top of the Jetronic injectors and I was thinking they'd failed and drawing air. 

Pulled out injector one and I was greeted with a rusty mess full of schmoo and dirt. Injector 2 was a similar mess. Not touched the other 3.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the top seals are fucked on this, beneath the o ring the surface is pitted and flaking. No way are they air tight. New injectors all round. And the little seal cups things too.  

IMG_20191209_190826.jpg

• Spurious changed the title to Continuing tales of das Audi. Nasty injector suprises.

I think these injectors seats need to come out for a clean too. I dunno how these got so bad. 

I'm afraid to clean them in situ, I'll just push a load of crap down into the cylinder head which is no craic. 

Need a 13mm hex to get these out. Has anyone removed these before? Haynes is no help here and I don't want to drop something into the cylinder head. 

On 12/9/2019 at 7:45 PM, Spurious said:

The injectors are a friction fit with the top o-ring. 

The cups, I'm not sure.  They didn't want to pull out for me too easy. I think they're a friction fit too..

Mine has a metal bar bolted down that slips over injectors to hold them.

5 minutes ago, Spurious said:
7 minutes ago, garbaldy said:
Mine has a metal bar bolted down that slips over injectors to hold them.

Mine has that too, forgot to mention. I don't think it does a great deal however, most of the friction seems to come from the fat o-ring

Trying to get mine out was a right mare as they're well stuck. I only got number1 the easy one out.