Audi 100 Diary. MOT Passed 🥳

Spurious

So I've been tied up at work for the last few days since collecting this.

Small leak from the PAS reservoir where the hose connects by the jubilee clip. Might need a nip up.

Starts alright from cold. Idle settles down quickly.

Fuel pump is still noisy, overrun is still lumpy, idle can hunt a little but not much (like +-100rpm). No worse at cold or hot.

No other issues tbh.

So chasing the slightly lumpy running.

I'm 90% sure these are the original HT leads. Unless someone has had new old stock, the fact they're made in W Germany is a bit of a giveaway. 

The distributor cap had loads of yellow film inside it. It's probably ancient too. 

I'll be replacing both... 

IMG_20191104_155739.jpg

39 minutes ago, barefoot said:

I had a couple of the previous 100 C2 model with the 2144 engine and they were lovely...

And then I had three, count them, three 200T C2's. They were everything that the 100 was, but much, much more. Especially fuel consumption!

They're really something I'd not seen much when growing up in Ireland.  The C3 was a rare sight let alone a C2.

Very much Fords and Opels back in those days.  But the 200 is gorgeous looking.  Big aul bus.

Oh very well bought sir, that’s a most excellent conveyance.  

It looks tidier than any I’ve seen in a while - they were well galvanised so don’t rust much, but most have been through a cheap workhorse phase and got lots of battle scars.

On 10/29/2019 at 7:06 PM, Spurious said:

I cant work out the trim level but it's probably a mid range unit; there's a manual sun roof with all round electric windows.  I hope you like velour as it has a lot of it. 

Audis of this era don’t really have trim levels - it’s just a 2.2E.  You get what you get with that engine, and the rest is an option sheet.  (See also 1980s BMWs, Mercedes.)

The early C3s had CC / CS / CD denominations, but that had faded out by this time.  

I remember what a shock one of these was to drive after being used to big old RWD Vauxhalls and BMWs from the same era. They really felt like a slightly bigger Golf to hustle around the place, instead of a huge 16 foot long barge. Went well too, even with only a 2 litre engine.
That looks in pretty good order, I'm a total sucker for rich velour upholstery, I'd have it over leather any day. Well done. :)

30 minutes ago, Skizzer said:

Oh very well bought sir, that’s a most excellent conveyance.  

It looks tidier than any I’ve seen in a while - they were well galvanised so don’t rust much, but most have been through a cheap workhorse phase and got lots of battle scars.

Audis of this era don’t really have trim levels - it’s just a 2.2E.  You get what you get with that engine, and the rest is an option sheet.  (See also 1980s BMWs, Mercedes.)

The early C3s had CC / CS / CD denominations, but that had faded out by this time.  

I think this one skipped the cheap workhorse phase; it had 1 owner for about 30 years. 

And has done on average 1125 miles per annum in the last 25 years and I discovered from the service book that was hiding away. 

Now that scares me slightly; it's done remarkably small mileage.  I knew it from the MOT history that in recent years it had only done small miles but not for 25 years.  Everything apart from a little corrosion and a lumpy run occasionally is okay.  I'm kinda suspicious.  I'm going to do a few small runs about the place, pottering in and out of work etc just to get it going again and hoping any problems crop up now. 

I had planned on going to France this year and this is looking quirky enough to be a potential continental bus, so we'll have to see. 

IMG_20191104_201959.jpg

18 minutes ago, Spiny Norman said:

I remember what a shock one of these was to drive after being used to big old RWD Vauxhalls and BMWs from the same era. They really felt like a slightly bigger Golf to hustle around the place, instead of a huge 16 foot long barge. Went well too, even with only a 2 litre engine.
That looks in pretty good order, I'm a total sucker for rich velour upholstery, I'd have it over leather any day. Well done. :)

It shifts very very well.  Hoping replacing some of the ignition components gets it right but I'm super impressed. 

It doesn't weigh much more than a modern VW Golf so with a 137bhp it keeps up with modern traffic easily.  Must have been something else back in 1984 when these were new...

On 10/29/2019 at 7:06 PM, Spurious said:

So a collection report  (wee bit later in the evening; had some bits to do this afternoon)

It's a late 1989 Audi 100 2.2e avant.  2226cc 10v with Bosch fuel injection.  I think it's about 132-140bhp depending on the source you read.  5 speed box, and the 5th cog has very tall gearing.

5 cylinders just to be a little odd...

I cant work out the trim level but it's probably a mid range unit; there's a manual sun roof with all round electric windows.  I hope you like velour as it has a lot of it. ....

That sounds like you have a "CD" - I had a 1985 B2 "90" 1994cc 5-cyl with exactly the same interior trim level and keep-fit sunroof. Yours even has the same blue colour interior and wheel cover style as mine had. Memories.

On 11/4/2019 at 11:46 PM, Tadhg Tiogar said:

That sounds like you have a "CD" - I had a 1985 B2 "90" 1994cc 5-cyl with exactly the same interior trim level and keep-fit sunroof. Yours even has the same blue colour interior and wheel cover style as mine had. Memories.

It's a nice interior alright.  No recirc on the ventilation system though which I find odd; you've no choice in the air you're getting through those vents.  

So a couple of jobs were done today (and yesterday but I ran out of light).

New dizzy cap and HT leads.  New plugs (Bosch OEM equiv, gotta love ECP for cheap parts sometimes, 6.97 for 5 plugs).  That was done yesterday, easy enough.

New generic fuel pump off the ebay; the book of lies lived up to it's name, more difficult than it sounded.  It was a bit of a faffy job, not helped by the rain (You couldn't exactly shut the doors when you were taking the lift pump out, the fumes would knock you out). And to finish it off a Mahle fuel filter for a bargain 6.98.  I also locked myself out of the house which stalled proceedings this evening somewhat.  Had to sit outside for an hour until herself got back from work.

Aaaand it's running grand really.  There's a hint, and I mean a hint of a lumpy idle; maybe I'm being very harsh (and used to electronic fuel injection) but it's jumping around 30-40rpm or so occasionally on hot idle.  However, it's very smooth now to drive, pulling good and strong.   I think I can live with that. 

I was tempted by that one myself, so put it in the eBay thread to distract me.

And now I can enjoy it vicariously and at no effort or expense via this thread! Win, win, win!

The engine is rated at 100kW, which usually translates as 136hp.  The 2222cc is the last version of the  five cylinder with just one camshaft. With hydraulic tappets by then as well. Really, these cars are little more complex than a Polo of the same era, k-jetronic excepted. I enjoyed my saloon, which cost £3k at 4 years old / 100,000 miles. It also needed a fuel pump, and it needed more than the 3 ratios it had in it's autobox.  Something that streamlined shouldn't be over 3000rpm at 70.

Enjoy!

That is lovely. I really want one of these, or one of the final 100s of the next generation. My early a6 was such a calm car to drive, although the seats were utterly rubbish and not anywhere near as stunning as that velour. 

I think it should be a legal requirement that everyone try a 5 cylinder engine once in their life. Or like me, several times more. 

Trying to trace a noise and it's the PAS belt.  A good dose of GT85 all over the belt made it silent so I'm sure it's that its had it. Doesn't look too bad on inspection. Seems to be a spurious Gates belt.  

The VAG part is a 12.5mm*647mm v belt. 

Spurious ones are 13*650ish. Not worried about the length.

The extra half mill would hardly cause the whine. It's riding pretty high on the pulley on the pump, almost flush with the top. 

That's a lovely wagon, love velour, my top choice for bum perches.

Also a big fan of FWD engines that are in the "correct" orientation, how they made them handle with that lot poking out of its nose I don't know. Look after it, looks a good 'un - and those HT leads are probably still better than pattern crap.

On 11/11/2019 at 8:00 PM, 2MB said:

They can be very sensitive to width and tension though, correct one might just cure it. 

Lovely looking bus by the way, and I am in complete agreement that everyone needs a five pot at some point in their life 

Yes, I've one scoped out on eBay, a genuine VAG one. But before I pulled the trigger; Euro car parts had the almost right belt, a contitech (what Dayco is nowadays I think) for £1.71. 

VAG 12.5mm x 647mm

Contitech 13mm x 650mm. 

So I'll give the cheap one a go, and see if it improves anything. Like it only cost what change I pulled out of the sofa. 

Predictably the Contitech belt was awful tight.  Wouldn't go on and I felt using a big screwdriver to persuade it on was the wrong course of action for the life of the pump and it's bearings. 

Suprise surprise I found what I think is original belt in the spare wheel well. 

Pulled off the Contitech belt that the car came with (the noisy one). Popped on the OEM one. Easy on, easily adjusted and works silently. 

The outer edge of the belt is a bit furry but the v ribs are grand. No splits or cracks. 

I know we all like a bargain but there's a lot to be said about OEM spec parts. It just works.... 

IMG_20191116_162106.jpg