Audi 100 Diary. MOT Passed 🥳

Spurious

2 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

It will always be on the outside, whichever side you put them on!

Tyre needs taking off the wheel....

Yep, to be fair, they only charged £14 for taking the two tyres off and balancing it there and then. So as fails go, it was a relatively easy fix. 

20 hours ago, Spurious said:

And the all important wiper test. No triangle of doom. Interestingly the passenger wiper lags behind the drivers side by a split second. Looks broke but they all do that! 

I used to be fascinated by cars that did this as a kid. Astra MK2s did the same. Metros, MK2/3 Transits, MK3 Fiestas and MK3 Cavaliers were were the opposite .

• 2 months later...

Some long overdue updates to this. Well, not a lot has happened. I've been well occupied with a house purchase and work is busier than ever. 

I did treat the Audi to a service and drove it to Wales. It's a really comfortable cruiser, step out of the car after 3 hours and it's like nothing. Just easy going. 

Also surprising how dirty an air filter gets in 5000 miles... IMG_20210628_181237.thumb.jpg.12504bc82b26bf787a11bdba1169c2d6.jpg

IMG_20210628_181119.thumb.jpg.f25609266058fc0d4f947356bdd19dbb.jpg

IMG_20210629_221135.jpg

IMG_20210629_195654.jpg

It's pretty up here for sure. I do like Gwynedd, it's very "west of Ireland" like. Very much reminds me of home, the little villages, houses of pebbledash concrete (strange what random things remind you of) and the small pubs and the rolling twisty tree lined roads with fields of sheep in between. 

Quick shot of the AirBNB place.  Most certainly the more handsome of the three cars... 

IMG_20210701_195626.jpg

• Spurious changed the title to Audi 100 Diary. Back from Wales, had a wheeely (bearing) good time..

It's an admirable holiday cruiser.  It doesn't much like the twisty stuff, it gets a little upset and starts to understeer if you push it hard.  But you just sit back and enjoy the waft.  It's not for being a hooligan in the corners.  It's however, done the same thing it did when coming back from Devon last year.  The front wheel drivers wheel bearing has decided to start to groan.  I suspect it's on it's factory bearing but it'll have to be fixed.  With the Suzuki parked up for the moment with a poorly gearbox, I'm left with the Nissan.  And I get anxiety when I'm down to one ancient car, going to try book it in with a local fella in Bury who works on old VW/Audi shite for next week.  It's the cheaper of the two to get right and it'll leave me with a backup in case the Nissan goes wrong.

Anyway, I enjoyed myself on the Ffestiniog Railway today.  The staff, who I presume are all volunteers were mighty, up for a chat about their job and how it all works.  The whole line, trains, stations and everything around it was immaculate and it didn't seem like bad value for money considering how impressive the whole show is.  

I also would like to live in Wales.  I know I've said it before, but it reminds me of home.  Dunno how practical it would be but maybe someday.

On 4/4/2021 at 11:02 AM, MJK 24 said:

Great car!

Have a look at your washer pump / piping.  Audi of that era provide a tsunami when the washers are used!

I really really need to sort this.  It's dribbling now, I had to get out and pour water out of a bottle to clear the screen 😁

9 hours ago, Sunny Jim said:

Hey, you've been in my manor - lovely isn't it? The volunteers on the Ffestiniog are indeed a passionate and enthusiastic lot.  Hope you manage to get the cars sorted easily.

Yep, we stayed in Llanaelhaearn, a nice little village in an AirBnB.  Mooched about the whole peninsula over the three days.

I'd been trying to get in contact with the fella who did the work on my Audi before, I even dropped up to the workshop this morning to find it very closed.  A former Audi mechanic from the old days of Quattros and 5 pots.  Turns out he passed away,  he was a real nice fellow who I'd a nice chat about his beetle and various other bits in the workshop when I was last there about a year back.  Sad.

The garage I'm getting to do this work sent me some photos. I'd loosened all the bolts needed but I couldn't split the joints. 

The tie rod put up a bit of a fight and the mechanic preferred to purchase a new joint in case it didn't survive, which delayed it slightly. but it came apart in the end. Needs a new rubber on the joint and it'll all be back in the morning. Hopefully. 

The strut isn't in terrible shape for 30 years mind you. Shiny new bearings... 

IMG-20210709-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20210709-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20210709-WA0013.jpg

• Spurious changed the title to Audi 100 Diary. It's on a lift. Bear with us, business as usual soon.
11 hours ago, Spurious said:

Incidentally, the same wheel bearing is used on the Passat until 2005 and the Superb until 2008.  VW certainly liked to recycle the parts bin.  Makes buying parts for the car really simple sometimes. 

My 944 feels like a VW, the number of parts that are interchangeable with various VAG models. I've just bought it a pair of Audi 100 C2 fog lights to replace its cracked & chipped originals.

• Spurious changed the title to Audi 100 Diary. There and back from the FOTU.

Father Spurious came to stay for the weekend just gone.  And we went to FOTU and back to Manchester via Lincoln. Lovely weekend, lots of things to see on the way to FOTU and whilst there.  Then went to Harrogate the next day. So a not insignificant 400 miles thereabouts over two days. The Audi drove fine. Probably a bit heavy on the old petrol, I think it needed about 70 quid over those two days.  But I'm not worried, I was spending a lot of those 400 miles at 70 on the motorway so it's not all bad. 

Spending some time there got me wondering about the long term future of this car. I'd spoke to the chap who'd the concourse Audi 100 whilst there and he was having trouble with his steering rack. Perhaps it's the time to start collecting hard to find spares like the Hydraulic Pump or the steering rack. Stuff that could really immobilise the car if it fails. I'll have to keep an eye out on eBay to have spares on the shelf. 

Some jobs that are now on the list after having a think. In order of priority

• Sort the weeping clutch master cylinder flexi. This has all seized together so it's easier in my mind to just replace the whole circuit. I've been steadily ordering the required bits. 
  • Weld the wings up. Yes, this has been on the list for a long time. Like since I got it. 
  • Perhaps the timing belt. It has a date code from 2014 on the belt. So its probably due a fresh belt. That'll need some specific tools for the job off eBay (£80 for the locking tool, eeek)
  • Perhaps think about changing the front shocks. Might improve the handling a bit. 

Otherwise I'm really happy. From an impulse purchase to a long term member of the fleet, it wasn't a bad choice. 

IMG_20210731_123728.jpg

4 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

FOTU_06.jpg

I just posted this in the FotU thread - I couldn't for the life of me remember your user name on here, apologies!  Car looked great, a real credit to you!

Thanks, I seen things here that I recognised or was sure I recognised but I wasn't sure. Next time I think we should have a thread of who's bringing what so we can awkwardly avoid saying to random people "are you the fella off the internet?" 😆

• 7 months later...

Overdue update. 

August to October were house moving time. The Audi played it's part moving all it could swallow. Sadly, house moving is expensive and spending money on the Audi got put on the long finger yet again. 

November to February and pretty much now was pretty miserable up here in the Pennines. Cold, wet and miserable, it wasn't a pleasant time to be beneath a car. The Audi spent the majority hiding in the garage with the occasional fortnightly start up and journey around the place just to keep things ticking over. 

The to do list above is still very much needing doing. Also it's MOT just ran out, took it for a run out last week and it ran pretty much spot on, really enjoyable listening to the 5 pot warbling away. 

However, the clutch is very spongy. Theres a lot of fluid around the slave cylinder, the flexi is really starting to leak, and I feel like I'm tempting fate by driving it. 

Technically it's not an MOT fail but it'd be just my luck the pipe would split when I take it out. 

Also a couple of definite MOY fails; the windscreen washers need sorting and the horns are inop. One failed last year and I think the others gone too. I have replacement horns in my parts stash so it's not too bad. 

• 2 weeks later...

Made some inroads into fixing the potential MOT issues. 

Wiper washers have been diagnosed as blocked one way valve, got a replacement in local motor factor for 50p. Easy win. 

The horns are rusted through, removed. The bolt sheared off however, but it's a through bolt so no issues. New horns to fit. Hopefully another easy fix. 

IMG_20220402_191346.thumb.jpg.43b7b22a35e575d9735234ddf567c97b.jpg

The slave cylinder? It's off, was eaiser to slice the flexi, managed to save the hard line, so it's just a flexi I need. The slave cylinder I'll replace as I may as well whilst it's off. 

I got creative with blocking off the supply to the master to stop it draining through the master cylinder. 

IMG_20220402_191210.thumb.jpg.8d5e62e14651273ed9f72d180a719868.jpg

The flexi looks like it could be generic enough, looks to be a m12x1.0 fitting but I'm not sure. They are available new but "how fucking much" 

IMG_20220402_192601.thumb.jpg.1e345c6b42a295969f802708ac2e8755.jpg

£65 delivered 🤔😂

Screenshot_20220402_212740_com_ebay.mobile.thumb.jpg.7baeb323b04c92954bbc3d21ea74aa21.jpg

3 hours ago, Spurious said:

Made some inroads into fixing the potential MOT issues. 

Wiper washers have been diagnosed as blocked one way valve, got a replacement in local motor factor for 50p. Easy win. 

The horns are rusted through, removed. The bolt sheared off however, but it's a through bolt so no issues. New horns to fit. Hopefully another easy fix. 

IMG_20220402_191346.thumb.jpg.43b7b22a35e575d9735234ddf567c97b.jpg

The slave cylinder? It's off, was eaiser to slice the flexi, managed to save the hard line, so it's just a flexi I need. The slave cylinder I'll replace as I may as well whilst it's off. 

I got creative with blocking off the supply to the master to stop it draining through the master cylinder. 

IMG_20220402_191210.thumb.jpg.8d5e62e14651273ed9f72d180a719868.jpg

The flexi looks like it could be generic enough, looks to be a m12x1.0 fitting but I'm not sure. They are available new but "how fucking much" 

IMG_20220402_192601.thumb.jpg.1e345c6b42a295969f802708ac2e8755.jpg

£65 delivered 🤔😂

Screenshot_20220402_212740_com_ebay.mobile.thumb.jpg.7baeb323b04c92954bbc3d21ea74aa21.jpg

If your still Manchester way out, drop in at Euro Hydraulics at Ashton. As a disclaimer I don't pay for the stuff they make for me (work) so I don't know how much that'd be but they'd piss copying the flexi and if it turned out cheaper than the flexi above then its a win. Can't hurt to ask

5 minutes ago, Matty said:

If your still Manchester way out, drop in at Euro Hydraulics at Ashton. As a disclaimer I don't pay for the stuff they make for me (work) so I don't know how much that'd be but they'd piss copying the flexi and if it turned out cheaper than the flexi above then its a win. Can't hurt to ask

Just got put onto Brakes International in Rochdale, they use Hel hoses, bit closer to me, but Ashton isn't far beyond. Cheers! 

Nice new HEL clutch flexi, only £28 delivered. 

IMG_20220408_171602.thumb.jpg.675ef300533a9c9182d18ef9e1cbb6f3.jpg

New slave cylinder, Febi part, surprisingly only £28 from GSF of all places. They were £38 average on fleabeay. 

Pressure bleeder out, purged the whole system, filthy fluid removed, probably the fluid from the factory. I reckon clutches get forgotten about all the time. 

IMG_20220408_180322.thumb.jpg.ba3cd7c9d5a8aea3b65bc5b7ef507d95.jpg

IMG_20220408_180315.thumb.jpg.01068348989aa7d7cbd330244739096e.jpg

Manky fluid. Clutch feels much better now. Job jobbed. 

IMG_20220408_183832.thumb.jpg.e94cc4c25de14df6ad56f4ab9294d0bf.jpg