Audi 100 Diary. MOT Passed 🥳

Spurious

• Spurious changed the title to Audi 100 Diary. MOT prep 2022
  • 1 month later...
On 4/9/2022 at 9:24 PM, Spurious said:

Horn still needs wiring up. Just that really for the MOT. I'll get them sorted and book a test hopefully. 

Jesus I put this on the long finger didn't I. 

Works been horrid busy and I've not had much chance to sort this between can't be arsed itis and work being a bitch. 

Anyway. 

Horn is loud. Suitability loud for a German barge. 

Washers wash. Albeit not that well, it's a Halfords non return valve, wonder if the OEM VW ones are better. MOT worthy however, they get water onto the screen. Have to investigate why headlamps dont wash anymore though. 

Underside has a coating of Lanoguard.  Easy to put on. It nearly took the entire 2.5 litre tub though but it's probably twice the area of a small car underneath, overhangs for days... 

20220609_171014.thumb.jpg.0295cee251a27ea29da986a5fbae940f.jpg

20220609_171009.thumb.jpg.c0122470f9186951f293d38e37d06aa4.jpg

Whilst on poking around underneath, the exhaust hanger was missing. Some Golf GTi ones ordered, same part used on the 100. It's great having a VAG car as they just launched the parts bin at it and parts had a long life so it's rarely bother ordering them. 

20220605_151435.thumb.jpg.dbc1bade57ca81c121d43809fbac580c.jpg20220605_150849.thumb.jpg.b3f856d75565cb9c48d244d4a8b70169.jpg

Whilst cleaning it out, I found my Wera bit set. Thought I'd lost this moving house, not seen it in 12 months. 

Bonus. 

20220609_173255.thumb.jpg.106f47211e0e04e4bf508b13455d1936.jpg

I promise I'm going to book the MOT tomorrow. It's been left too long. Still, a summer anniversary for an MOT is the best, no faffing about in the winter. 

Other jobs planned, timing belt. I'm waiting for this to come back in stock, can't do the job without it. 

https://www.ultraperformance.co.uk/5-cylinder-crank-locking-tool-aby-adu-3b-7a

Otherwise, all systems go for the MOT. 

Great work, good luck on the MOT! I’ve only just stumbled across this after you mentioned your Audi in the other thread, I’ll be having a nose through to see what 100 Avant ownership is like… I did end up buying the one I went to see this evening!

8 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

Great work, good luck on the MOT! I’ve only just stumbled across this after you mentioned your Audi in the other thread, I’ll be having a nose through to see what 100 Avant ownership is like… I did end up buying the one I went to see this evening!

It's been relatively trouble free. 

They're simple cars underneath a big old body, at least mine is. The only scary thing is the K-Jetronic, but once you figure out it's all based on pressures and very few sensors, it's all okay. 

It's only failed to start once and I think the coil got hot that time. Never again however.

And looking forward to see yours, post some pics ! 

• Spurious changed the title to Audi 100 Diary. MOT 2moroz
  • Spurious changed the title to Audi 100 Diary. MOT Passed 🥳

Fantastic looking wagon, and brilliant scenery to boot. Not that I'm biased at all, as I'll be going up to Dorking with the healing trailer to pick mine up tonight!

I notice the lights inset to your bumper, are they side lights/fog lights?? Mine doesn't have those 🤔

Great that things are continuing to improve with this marvellous big barge. It really does seem to occupy that sweet spot of modern enough to use regularly and reliably, yet old enough for DIY repairs to be a possibility while remaining a rewarding driving experience.

I do like an 80s Audi, and wagons in general, so I'm delighted that this has proved itself a worthy addition to the long-term fleet.

I'd love to own one of these one day; since the house move I've been ruminating on what sort of older car I could potentially be looking for in a year or two's time, once the house is done and the finances are less stretched. A 100 Avant of this vintage would be pretty high up that list, I reckon.

3 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

It really does seem to occupy that sweet spot of modern enough to use regularly and reliably, yet old enough for DIY repairs to be a possibility while remaining a rewarding driving experience

This is absolutely true. The only thing that would perhaps improve it would be electronic fuel injection but on the flip side you would loose the entire mechanical nature of the 100. 

It's simple enough to work on. There's loads of spare parts and this is down to VW throwing the parts bin at it and the continued popularity of a lot of classic VW and Audis. The C3 100 kinda rides in the coattails of the likes of the GTI Golf where there's a big following

3 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

A 100 Avant of this vintage would be pretty high up that list, I reckon

They're still not silly money and have escaped the usual VAG scene tax due to being big and "boring"

6 hours ago, Back_For_More said:

that's a great result on the MoT - gotta be happy with that

Nothing in it that I'm not too concerned about. 

The wings needed doing 2 years ago. Still need doing. 

The back box is blowing, know about that. Maybe a custom back box. 

I'll have to investigate the drop link. 

Wheel bearings? Not worried about. 

The timing belt could do with a change I'm sure, it seems to have a 2015 date code on it, but I've nothing to prove when it was done actually. Could have been 2017 or 2018, who knows... It looks fine on inspection. 

How are these with parts? For my Audi 80 B2 is very weird when it comes to parts take the brakes, the rear is the same drum brakes as on the Golf 2, but up front the brake discs are Golf, the brake pads seem to only fit this and the Volvo 300 of all things and the brake calipers similar to those used on the Golf 2 but is different and only used on this Audi model which is starting to get hard to get hold of. All this is just weird and parts that are only for this model are also starting to get harder to find. So I'm wondering how these Audi 100 are compare to mine.

It shares a lot of braking parts with the B3/B4 80, the C3/C4 100, the B3 Passat and the Golf II. 

Rear brake discs are specific to the 100, not unobtainable, Autodoc have them. Being rear discs they should last a good long time. 

The Alternator is the same off a 9N Polo. 

Water pump is same as various VW/Nissan's/BMWs 

Service bits are off-the-shelf at ECP, they even had a clutch slave cylinder in GSF. 

The only difficult to get bits would be some of the K-Jetronic bits, like the metering head (need a 5 cylinder one), the steering rack and the central hydraulic pump. You can get them but they are big money, new steering rack is a £300 part. Audi Tradition do sell a lot of the more tricky bits but they're even more expensive. 

The 5 pot engines have a long life, they were even in the T25 Vans at one point.

11 minutes ago, Spurious said:

It shares a lot of braking parts with the B3/B4 80, the C3/C4 100, the B3 Passat and the Golf II. 

Rear brake discs are specific to the 100, not unobtainable, Autodoc have them. Being rear discs they should last a good long time. 

The Alternator is the same off a 9N Polo. 

Water pump is same as various VW/Nissan's/BMWs 

Service bits are off-the-shelf at ECP, they even had a clutch slave cylinder in GSF. 

The only difficult to get bits would be some of the K-Jetronic bits, like the metering head (need a 5 cylinder one), the steering rack and the central hydraulic pump. You can get them but they are big money, new steering rack is a £300 part. Audi Tradition do sell a lot of the more tricky bits but they're even more expensive. 

The 5 pot engines have a long life, they were even in the T25 Vans at one point.

Genuine steering rack is cheaper than I thought.

https://shops.audi.com/en_GB/web/tradition/p/steering-444419063a-10?search_term=&sort=PRICE_DESC&category=118966