Audi 100 Diary. MOT Passed 🥳

Spurious

Why do you want to loosen the hubbut? I always just break the bottom balljoint or split the strut (whichever is easy), cut off the old CV boot and knock the CV joint off the shaft.

Clean all the old grease and crap off the old joint with thinners or something then slip new gaiter on shaft, re connect and secure.

After years dicking around with crappy cable ties I bought some proper CV gaiter pliers. They’re bloody brilliant.

• Spurious changed the title to Das Audi 100. Shocking pics included
  • Spurious changed the title to New CV joint? Why not! Das Audi 100

No you’re not being thick, I haven’t explained it well.

Unless the Audi is different from most cars the cv joint at the wheel end fits onto splines on the shaft and is retained by an internal circlip thing which engages with the joint. You can then split the joint here negating the need to undo the hubnut by knocking it off, ideally with a copper hammer while stopping it popping out of the inner with molegrips clamped onto the shaft ideally against a chassis leg or something.

On 6/3/2020 at 12:16 AM, jonathan_dyane said:

No you’re not being thick, I haven’t explained it well.

Unless the Audi is different from most cars the cv joint at the wheel end fits onto splines on the shaft and is retained by an internal circlip thing which engages with the joint. You can then split the joint here negating the need to undo the hubnut by knocking it off, ideally with a copper hammer while stopping it popping out of the inner with molegrips clamped onto the shaft ideally against a chassis leg or something.

Thanks I'll have a look when it arrives, it's not going to get done for another while anyway, busy at work for a few days. 

Also figured I should have a new dizzy cap and rotor. The original ones aren't in the best shape. There's a cheap ECP one on there for the minute but I spotted a NOS one in the box on eBay. Not bad when a Bosche one is 30 quid. Genuine rotor arm on eBay for £9 too. I love how much of VW parts was reused, there's a lot out there still in boxes that would fit anything between a Polo and my Audi. 

Screenshot_20200604_141620_com.ebay.mobile.png

• 1 month later...
  • Spurious changed the title to Audi 100 Diary. Adventure time

So all there in the end, staying near Salcombe, albeit in the sticks. I'd some annual leave booked long before Covid and I'm glad things have loosened up so I could go away for a few days. 

It was a very comfy drive and to be honest, about 90% of it was motorway cruising at 65 or so. 

No mechanical problems thankfully. 

280 miles, used about a 3rd of a tank. That's about 45mpg if all the increments on the tank are equal. Now that's probably optimistic, I'd reckon it's closer to 38-40ish; still, not bad for a 31 year old wagon. 

I do have some photos/videos from various jobs and servicing when I get back, I've neglected this thread and lots has been done on the Audi recently but we'll have it updated when I get back. 

Two busy days in the depths of Devon and the Audi is mostly behaving well. 

It's also a lovely part of the world, I'm sad I've not visited sooner.  Salcombe is a lovely little village, albeit a bit "second home and range rover" much for me. 

Swimming whilst it seems like a good idea at this time of the year is always a freezing cold experience. Has to be done nevertheless. 

Beaches are nice. Nothing interesting apart from a Mini moke to spot. I suspect most those who live down here wouldn't be seen dead in anything older than a couple of years. 

Got sunburnt despite boot's finest cheapest factor 50. 

IMG_20200707_154312.jpg

IMG_20200707_151451.jpg

IMG_20200707_152210.jpg

Amateur levels of beading this morning. I only used that Autoglym lazy boy spray on stuff that @dollywobbler recommend on a Matiz vid a while back. It's alright for a bucket and sponge yob like me 

More to come. When the phone picks up 3g that is. Which I think is when the wind is blowing in the right direction to be honest. It's like been back in Ireland. 

IMG_20200708_120841.jpg

We're all back; bit of a trip report.

Back home in one piece.  I was a little apprehensive as I'd not done as big a journey in this car as I'd before.  The north of England to Cornwall/Dorset is a fair old journey and there was plenty of driving on each day.  I reckon it was it was about 800 miles all in;  guts of 570 miles there and back and the rest pottering about on the days we were there. 

Only one hiccup, on Wednesday, I turned it off shortly after some pretty hilly stretches of road and to be fair I was probably pushing on a little bit working it hard.   I think the coil got a bit fussy as may have been a bit hot; the fan was on as I was driving which is rare enough.  Had another "crank but no start" and this time I'd not been messing with it.  Left it alone for about 2 hours as we were out walking anyway and it started up fine.  Thankfully as it wasn't somewhere the AA would have been towing me out of.  Start Point isn't the best place to get out of.  Might have to invest in a new coil, there's Bosch ones for £35 on ebay, so I might have a spare with me the next time.  Maybe it was some fuel vaporisation but I'm not sure if that affects K-jet cars anway

IMG_20200708_133029.thumb.jpg.5be2ba63ccb57af97de198724ec2a3db.jpg

(Moments before she threw a complete strop and wouldn't wake up to correct my dodgy parking)

That was it.  It drove nicely other than that.   It's a very comfortable A road and Motorway car.  It's okay on the tighter roads but it's sprung for comfort, not handling and that's okay with me.  Twice when down there, I got asked was it for sale.  Was driving out of Slapton sands and when I got stuck up in traffic a bit a motorcycle pulled up alongside me and asked was it for sale.  Always nice to know it's appreciated.

IMG_20200709_211955.thumb.jpg.898b7b0b49e28020a3648cb1af7351a3.jpg

I've not drove it since I was back yesterday, I think it's going to have a break for a few days and see what the Jimny is like when I start it later.  Dorset is a wonderful part of the country and would definitely visit again.  Nice beaches, plenty of rural spots to myself. 

• 6 months later...

It's been a very long time since I've updated this. 

Life had invariably got in the way. I'd take the Audi out for a spin every once in a while just to keep it ticking over. 

I also got covid in November which had me floored for a couple of weeks and then Christmas and paramedic-ing has been increasingly busy in the past weeks. 

But time goes on right? So what have I done? Not a lot really. Washer fluid? Not much more besides that.  The weather is rubbish and I can't be arsed sitting under a car in the snow. 

Had an "oh bollocks" moment today. Took it out for a good spin, work had arranged for a vaccination but it was in Preston. I'd been avoiding the gritting/salt on the road weather so wasn't bothered about rain. 

All going well until the blown bulb warning lights up. Pulled over at services and found the headlight was injured and had a stone blow out the lens completely. 

I've sourced a spare off the nice folk on the classic Audi page. And it turns out it was a Nylock nut, glad it didn't hit the windscreen cos that would have been the expensive thing to replace. 

It blew one of the nearly new Osram Nighbreakers too. That's a bit rubbish only had them in 3 months or so. 

IMG_20210120_184506.jpg

IMG_20210120_145616.jpg

Now to get this on without breaking it with those silly spring clips 

Interestingly, a previous owner of this 100 did etch the reg onto this lens. 

H680 TNV. Last on the road in 2015. 

This was graciously donated (along with a worse housing) by a member of the Classic Audi FB group for beer money. 

Just now, Spurious said:

Now to get this on without breaking it with those silly spring clips 

Interestingly, a previous owner of this 100 did etch the reg onto this lens. 

H680 TNV. Last on the road in 2015. 

This was graciously donated (along with a worse housing) by a member of the Classic Audi FB group for beer money. 

IMG_20210127_155326.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Spurious said:

check out this underseal. Audi were really at the top of their anti corrosion game then. 31 years and the vast majority of the underseal is still in situ. Small amount of surface rust but I'll catch that with some vatcan after power washing. 

cleaned up okay. there's a few spots where the underseal has flaked off. Reckon a bit of vactan/paint and some lanoguard on top will prevent it from getting much worse. 

• 2 weeks later...

so here's the same wheel arch. 

Now after Bilt Hamber Rust stop stuff, some rattle can direct to rust prep and some satin finish metal paint. When the paint dries, it'll be a coating of Lanoguard and the wheel arch liner popped back on. Hopefully enough to keep any surface rust at bay for a little while. .

It's slow work in this weather, paint takes days to dry properly. I'm in various stages of paint/preventer on the other 4 arches. 

IMG_20210223_141522.jpg

So a little round up from the year

I've nailed almost all of the advisories from last year's MOT. 

• Calipers have all been rebuilt with new pads and discs all round with a fluid flush. 
  • New CV joint 
  • In the process of sorting the surface rust on the front McPherson struts
  • Same on the rear, when this is sorted, Lanoguard is going on the wheel arches. 
  • Serviced 
  • New injectors all round

First half of March is the aim to get it through the MOT again. I don't like leaving cars without driving them for long periods, so I don't want to leave it much longer. 

I also scrubbed it tonight, it's amazing when you get a wee bit bogged down with jobs that giving it a wash makes things seem more achievable. Small wins and all that. 

IMG_20210223_173648.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to keep at using the Lanoguard wax in lesser known spots. Next on the hitlist was the front scuttle. 

Considering how close it is to the strut towers and you don't want to upset the MOT man, corrosion here would be no fun. 

Cleaned out the winters detritus of sticks, leaves and various composting bits of tree from the scuttle which is now clean and happily draining. 

Battery out and the tray looks happy. Cleared out the mesh for the blower, drainage channel for the front screens and the other side where the fuse box is. 

It's all pretty good after a wash down.  Wax tomorrow when it's given a chance to air out... 

IMG_20210309_165902_1.jpg

IMG_20210309_171200.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The man from the Ministry is having a peek tomorrow morning. Final pre flight checks, I even replaced the hubcaps. 

Hopefully the two months it's been off the road haven't done it much harm, started it every couple of days and left it chocked instead of with the handbrake on. Will give it a belt up the motorway on the way to a "pre-arranged MOT test". 

IMG_20210324_184721.jpg

On 2/9/2021 at 3:57 PM, Spurious said:

check out this underseal. Audi were really at the top of their anti corrosion game then. 31 years and the vast majority of the underseal is still in situ. 

C3 bodyshells were fully galvanised from September 1985 onwards. Audi made a big thing of this in their newspaper adverts at the time. 

• Spurious changed the title to Audi 100 Diary. MOT time, cross your fingers...

It's going to be a pass. Failed on two tires been fitted with the wrong rotation, they're on inside out. 

I even went to what I thought was a decent outfit to do the tyres last year, got them at ATS. 

Other than that, advisories on two rear wheel bearings, suspect they're taper bearings and require a smidge of free play in them to begin with so as long as they're not grumbling away I'm not concerned. 

Ha ha, I worked at a garage about 20 years ago and failed a 620 turbo for this, the owner of the place really struggled to get his head around the fact that tyres were on the rims the wrong way round. Not helped by the fact it was a relatively new thing to have directional and handed tyres.

Bad luck on that but at least it's an easy fix.