The PMSL Nothing much to report . First fuel since March 29/05/20

320touring

12 minutes ago, 320touring said:

First tank is in on this:

384.2 miles on 60.70L of fuel..

28.77mpg.

Bearing in mind it's a 2.1ton brick outhouse with an autobox,

This is sort of what I was fearing. I've been contemplating something more economical than cheap jeep and it's 22 mpg. However, newer, cheap (none LR) 4x4 with bearable diesel engines are massive, heavy and not significantly better on fuel to make changing worthwhile. 

I look at it like this:

My 1991 w124 300D did 28-32 mpg with a 4 speed auto, and 113bhp. It weighed 1550kg and drove 2 wheels, with a 0-60 time of 14.8 seconds.

This 2001 w163 270 CDI has returned 28.7mpg with a 5 speed auto and 161bhp. It weighs 2100kg and drives all 4 wheels. 0-60 time is 11.7 seconds.

So it carries more weight faster for about the same amount of fuel..

Discovered this Has an auto anti glare rear view mirror

IMG_20191031_170610.thumb.jpg.19f7f395d2df97391587a297c413b5e4.jpg

Works a treat and stops dazzling from HIDSUNCORES

young Mr Davehedgehog31 presented me with a most accurate lol model of the car

IMG_20191031_170618.thumb.jpg.69c61d14cb8c329c18af030335f20d76.jpg

And lastly, some potentially positive news...

Screenshot_20191031_190243_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.567b0ab0108313b3499c289c53fbbe23.jpg

That would be approx £19 a tank less at the current prices ( it may also let is shit itself spectacularly..)

Who knows?

19 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

Just been chauffeur driven in this from the airport and it is fantastic. Jammy bastard (but deserving of it, and a complete gent)

Always a pleasure, never a chore:)

Thank you for using TTT Airport Transfers. Your flightshite is wur concern.

Also discovered that the cruise control on this will use engine braking via the autobox to control speed whilst going downhill.. a bit odd the first time I experienced it, but welcome nonetheless due to DFCO

16 hours ago, sutty2006 said:

Agreed with the above comment, anything remotely big and off-roady will struggle above the 30s, my D3 gets 28 on a fruitful run across flat land. 

The ML looks much better for a scrub, I recon you’ve doubled it’s value at least. 

I was easily getting low 30's out the Disco 300tdi without even trying. The problem really was that because it had all the aero properties of a barn, it didn't really improve much on a run, it was ridiculously consistent on distance covered to fuel no matter what type of driving i'd been doing. There was only ever about a maximum of 10 miles difference per half tank. On a run it'd maybe be in the mid 30's, i reckon a smidge under 40mpg with a few downhill stretches and a firm tailwind was achievable but rarely repeatable.

Check is going into 5th gear, well, 4 plus o/d as mine didn't for the first 5 years I owned it then lost all power one day, hardly moved and smoked a lot.

I bashed out the cats (annoyingly diagnosed by my other half) and it transformed the car, then able to constantly get over 30mpg out if it with great performance, way way better than before.

They've got a bad rep but are actually great cars, I loved mine and so did my other half, it felt like the kind of car that could let you down at any minute but never actually did. 

Most of the common issues are really easy to fix. 

I also got £400 scrap from copart when the time came. 

Ps never start it with an even slightly flat battery, it can lose the key connection then you're stuffed. 

7 minutes ago, bloobloo said:

Have you done the re-sync procedure?

For clarification for 320T, re-sync as follows:

1) Position car pointing in direction of Stuttgart 

2) Key in ignition to position one

3) Say "Vorsprung Durch Scheisse" three times

4) Key now synced 

2 minutes ago, davehedgehog31 said:

For clarification for 320T, re-sync as follows:

1) Position car pointing in direction of Stuttgart 

2) Key in ignition to position one

3) Say "Vorsprung Durch Scheisse" three times

4) Key now synced 

This is Totally wrong.

Merc ML are built in the Good ol' U Ess of A.

1) Point car towards Yankashire

2) Put key in and turn around 3 times

3) Shout "Yo diggity - Yeee Haww I is gonna be losing ma britches at this Hootenanny"

4) Key now lost

4 minutes ago, 320touring said:

Yep, the whole "hold down lock button and press unlock 5 times" thing has been tried.

Apparently it may need a new control module

There are 2 methods, have you tried both? Also did you press lock / boot release after the 5 times of unlock?

Instructions on how to sync Mercedes remote: (this is the one i use)

1. Insert the key into the ignition. Turn key 1 click. (sometimes it works if you turn it to num 2 and the dash lights come on)
  2. Quickly remove key from ignition and within 10 seconds hold down the lock button.
  3. Continue holding the lock button, and at the same time press, the unlock button five times.
  4. Next release all buttons and press the lock button one time. (sometimes it works with boot unlock or the main unlock button)
  5. Your Mercedes remote should be synchronized. Test to see if lock / unlock functions are working.

Next is taken from Benzworld

First procedure:
1. Turn key to position 2 then back to position 0 and remove it.
2. With in 60 sec. push the lock button and lift gate button at the same time for 15 sec.
3. Press any remote control button twice to activate the system.

Second procedure:
1. Turn key to pos.2 and back to pos. 0 and remove it.
2. with in 60 sec. press and hold the lock all button.
3. While the lock all button is depressed, press unlock button 5 consecutive times.
4. Press any RADIO remote button to activate the system.

Also, just to confuse matters further. I had issues with my fob when I changed the casing for a cheap one off ebay. The keyring holder part is prone to snapping so I changed the case. No matter what I do I cannot get the key to work in that new case, I have had to drill a small hole in the original and put a small snap ring in to use it as a key ring.

Hope this helps

3 minutes ago, omegod said:

Indeed it was, the most dangerous yard on God’s earth ! 

Especially after all this woeful weather of late. Next you will see Troy Landry and Shelby Stanga in there making themselves feel right at home in the swamp!

On the plus side it is an absolute awesome place.

• 2 weeks later...