Sainsbury's Archive

trigger

Just now, HMC said:

@LightBulbFun

Nearest I’ve got so far

cheam 1971

D57B1075-ACF4-4FE2-9C28-80710F0DD065.thumb.png.7af23e794011e05c26c212d36be30a4c.png

63BFDCE6-DBD6-4BCF-934D-CDD52E9FA67C.thumb.png.fbc51f173ee579a8911f4c284a1121cb.png

with bonus miss matched panels!

which is impressive when there all meant to be the same colour!

(is this where I find out there are actually lots of Invalid vehicle shots, just people have on purposely not been posting them here for fear of me! :mrgreen: )

its an AC Acedes Mk10 or later I think, MoH/DHSS Model 57 :) 

(Mk9's and earlier had indicator ears im pretty sure) 

On 11/15/2019 at 10:41 AM, HMC said:

Norwich 1983

B8C15D07-7281-4E28-B2A3-7A0CDB161D44.png

56DBA912-F13E-46E8-91B2-8A5FBE5866E0.png

Well done @HMC . ?

This Sainsburys was at Bowthorpe village, 3 miles west of Norwich (postcode area NR5 9xx). Not too far from where I currently live. Bowthorpe was a mix of private and social housing that was built from the mid 1970s. Interesting to see the ironworks on the right of the first pic as this looks to be when the (now fairly grotty) Norkie pub was built. the Norkie is still a functioning pub with a 'holding pen' for the outside drinkers/smokers. :mrgreen:

Back in 1983 my mum used to make the rather long journey from the East Norwich with my auntie (and myself if I wasn't in school) in the diamond white Granada 2000L. I think that this was the only 'out of town' supermarket in the area at the time so that why she went there. This Sainsburys closed down in 1999 or 2000 and became a 'Roys' (Roys of Wroxham) supermarket that I sometimes frequent to this day. The car park is absolutely HUGE as it extends beyond where the photographer was standing...it would be a great place for a Sunday car meet imo.

There used to a be a small petrol station just the other side of Wendene which has long since been abandoned and the vegetation has reclaimed.

My mum and auntie went there until a new out of town Sainsburys opened up closer to where we lived in the late 1980s (Pound Lane, Thorpe St. Andrew NR7). Until a brand new Morrisons supermarket opened in 1999.

Bowthorpe, Norwich 1978. This is the petrol station situated across the road from the supermarket. Apparently the supermarket opened in October 1978, so a couple of years when the first residents of the area moved in.

SA_BRA_7_N_18_5_52hr.jpg

I couldn't remember the petrol station being this wide. It's fascinating seeing what this looked like before all the houses got built around it (to the left of the pic). As I mentioned in my previous post, it seems that natural vegetation has reclaimed the petrol station now with only the entrance and exit visible from the road.

Thorpe St. Andrew, Pound Lane, Norwich 1989. My mum started shopping here once it opened as it was considerably closer than the Bowthorpe store. The housing estate behind that high up fence would eventually become Dussindale.

Some hot* 1980s terra cotta Vauxhall action right there! And a Fiesta Popular/Popular Plus to the right.

SA_BRA_7_N_18_6_102hr.jpg

I wonder what that rectangular thing is behind the white XR3i. Vauxhall Royale? Senator? Datsun Laurel?

32 minutes ago, ProgRocker said:

Thorpe St. Andrew, Pound Lane, Norwich 1989. My mum started shopping here once it opened as it was considerably closer than the Bowthorpe store. The housing estate behind that high up fence would eventually become Dussindale.

Some hot* 1980s terra cotta Vauxhall action right there! And a Fiesta Popular/Popular Plus to the right.

I wonder what that rectangular thing is behind the white XR3i. Vauxhall Royale? Senator? Datsun Laurel?

It's the Lancia Beta Berlina that caught my eye!

40 minutes ago, ProgRocker said:

Is it a bodykitted up mk2 Granada? 80s tastic