Sainsbury's Archive

trigger

2 hours ago, HMC said:

Again, Cardiff 1984. Apologies for the graininess but @Spottedlaurel what is it?

'MkII' version of the 710-series 140J/160J (a.k.a. Violet). There was an earlier saloon that had a swoopy fastback rear end but they changed it to a more conventional arrangement partway through the 710's life. I remember a handful that made it into the '90s and I bought one of the fastback saloons for £50 in 1994/95.

14 hours ago, MKT said:

Farnham 1993

SA_BRA_7_F_3_4_74hr.jpg

Whats that in the disabled bay? I first thought Volvo 360 but on second looks it isn't.

However much I want that to be one of these, I fear it is an Alpine. Imagine we have a photo of a Reliant FW11 whose driver needed an egg and cress sarnie for lunch on his way back to Ankara...

fw11-c.jpg

A wonderful thread indeed, I would never think I would see a Moskvich, Wartburg Knight and Fiat 850 Coupe (x2) in the same thread.  

What strikes me is the sheer variety of European and Japanese cars here, even in the seventies when you would expect  British cars to still be by far in the majority.

23 hours ago, carlo said:

A wonderful thread indeed, I would never think I would see a Moskvich, Wartburg Knight and Fiat 850 Coupe (x2) in the same thread.  

What strikes me is the sheer variety of European and Japanese cars here, even in the seventies when you would expect  British cars to still be by far in the majority.

I agree it is a great thread. 

I imagine membership of the EEC was a catalyst for greater numbers of European cars on British roads from the mid 1970s 

25 minutes ago, Timewaster said:

Which coincided with BL and Dagenham going on strike? 

They probably didn't help either in terms of reputation and supply of new cars to dealers. Leaving tariff free European imports readily available for no price premium or even cheaper than locally produced cars. 

I was in Derby today with ten minutes to kill. So how about a ‘then and now’?

ca. 1987:

F76692F0-7141-4FDC-9814-09C7BBB20C1D.thumb.jpeg.cccfe2e8149ae102790bcfa37f241e4b.jpeg

November 2019:

B19D92E5-0EA5-411C-BFA8-595DF9C2607D.thumb.jpeg.d10589527ffc28305966bb73fc3be872.jpeg

Can’t quite get the same angle as the trees have grown so you can’t stand any further up the bank. Also the original photographer had a better zoom lens than my phone!