Sainsbury's Archive

trigger

31 minutes ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Interesting that people who drove Mercs and BMWs didn't go to supermarkets in the 80's and 90's, must have all been at the golf course.

Back in the 80's and 90's the chances of seeing a Mercedes outside London was a rare sight. I lived in Sussex and my mates and I used to get quite excited when we saw one. I remember going up to London though and they were everywhere. 

If I could find the newspaper article about me crashing my Imp into a bollard outside Sainsbury's in Rustington, I'd load that up to that stores page. Just had a look are articles in the 1994 Littlehampton Gazette but it was just a small article and it's not there.  Maybe I should load up a picture of the car though. There's nothing else on that stores history yet. 

1 hour ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Interesting that people who drove Mercs and BMWs didn't go to supermarkets in the 80's and 90's, must have all been at the golf course.

19 minutes ago, HillmanImp said:

Back in the 80's and 90's the chances of seeing a Mercedes outside London was a rare sight. I lived in Sussex and my mates and I used to get quite excited when we saw one. I remember going up to London though and they were everywhere. 

SA_BRA_7_B_20_7_2_6hr.jpg

Mercedes at J Sainsbury's in Birmingham. ?

1 hour ago, egg said:

It's like a bloody fantasy world for us lot. Imagine time travel back to one of these car parks for a day (with modern camera of course!).

'you can go anywhere in history with this machine'

'Sainsbury's car park Beckenham September 1984 please'

This.

3 hours ago, HillmanImp said:

Maybe I should load up a picture of the car though. There's nothing else on that stores history yet. 

FB_IMG_1571843033323.thumb.jpg.66ceefafe397169ba796fc16fbf1f906.jpg

There's the car. Might update it tomorrow night. They replaced the store with a new one a few years ago but until then the bollard i hit was never put back quite straight always reminding me of my idiocy each time I bought something from there. 

6 hours ago, Lord Sterling said:

SA_BRA_7_B_20_7_2_6hr.jpg

Mercedes at J Sainsbury's in Birmingham. ?

He was probably from London visiting relatives. ;)

To be fair, I only used to go to Birmingham every other year to the motor show at the NEC, so I've no idea how common they were there or other cities. Maybe it was just the peasants round my way who couldn't afford them. 

19 hours ago, trigger said:

SA_BRA_7_E_3_3_79hr.jpg

Am I reading the plate on this 240Z correctly as RPG 480L? If so it is/was still around, I saw it at Billing in 2001 and it was blue then. Found a photo of it online here: https://zclub.net/community/index.php?media/rpg-480l.448/

image.thumb.png.4724931f7a9bf8b3eb1c25840fa4f504.png

DVLA say untaxed since 1995, but it was clearly in existence after that date.

Enjoying what people are finding, would definitely love to go back to the early-mid '80s.

6 hours ago, HillmanImp said:

It wasn't until the end of the 90s and beyond that Mercs and Beemers became common sights even in our capital (Dublin). If you did see one before that time, it was a baby Merc 190E, with hubcaps and cloth, or a 316i. In 1987 my parents bought a farm house and working farm, on a good number of acres, in Dublin, for less than what an uncle of my mother had paid for a 520i that had, at a push, alloys. That was proper exotica here back in the day :P 

1 hour ago, The Vicar said:

..... In 1987 my parents bought a farm house and working farm, on a good number of acres, in Dublin, for less than what an uncle of my mother had paid for a 520i that had, at a push, alloys. That was proper exotica here back in the day :P 

OT but first came to Ireland in 1988, and was taken aback by the reasonableness of Dublin property prices compared to London at that time. I think we could buy a decent town house Southside for about 30 grand.  In Clare, it was just stupid cheap. 

24 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

OT but first came to Ireland in 1988, and was taken aback by the reasonableness of Dublin property prices compared to London at that time. I think we could buy a decent town house Southside for about 30 grand.  In Clare, it was just stupid cheap. 

For the same money and at the same time they bought the farm, my parents turned down an (admittedly rather tatty) three storey over basement Victorian redbrick in Ballsbridge. Admittedly not the wisest financial decision they have ever made, but there has been worse - they did buy a Peugeot 605.