Sainsbury's Archive

trigger

I'm not sure if it's been posted before but today i discovered that Sainsbury's have archived each store online so that you can view media about them, and it's a treasure trove!

https://www.sainsburyarchive.org.uk/branch/branches/

I've picked a few from my local stores so far.

Hadleigh Road in Ipswich 1992.

SA_BRA_7_I_2_5_34hr.jpg

SA_BRA_7_I_2_5_49hr.jpg

SA_BRA_7_I_2_5_9hr.jpg

SA_BRA_7_I_2_5_6hr.jpg

Warren heath Ipswich 1985.

SA_BRA_7_I_2_4_23hr.jpg

SA_BRA_7_I_2_4_29Ehr.jpg

SA_BRA_7_I_2_4_9hr.jpg

SA_BRA_7_I_2_4_30Chr.jpg

Any ideas what this car is?. Daf maybe?

SA_BRA_7_I_2_4_6hr.jpg

Some early 1980s views of the Dover branch of Sainsbury's, which until the Deal branch opened in the late 1990s, was the nearest one to where I grew up in east Kent. It only lasted from 1980 to 1992, as the Tesco which opened just outside the town in 1988 killed it:

SA_BRA_7_D_10_18hr.jpg

SA_BRA_7_D_10_24hr.jpg

SA_BRA_7_D_10_15hr.jpg

The big void behind the 305 in the third photo was eventually filled by the Charlton Centre, which was conceived as a small-but-perfectly-formed shopping centre, but is something of a 'dead mall' these days. Apparently, Sainsbury's still owns the leasehold of the building it was located in, even though it's been empty since the mid-2000s. Such is Dover.

9 minutes ago, Shep Shepherd said:

Some early 1980s views of the Dover branch of Sainsbury's, which until the Deal branch opened in the late 1990s, was the nearest one to where I grew up in east Kent. It only lasted from 1980 to 1992, as the Tesco which opened just outside the town in 1988 killed it:

SA_BRA_7_D_10_18hr.jpg

An Ascona, a bloody Ascona..

6 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

I don’t know how you guys have done it, I can’t work my way round the site. I click on Newcastle Sainsbury’s (Staffordshire) and I get every other store. Hanley store I can’t see any pictures. Fuck me I hate technology. 

Same here, trying to look for Colchester Tollgate but not getting anywhere. Thanks for posting the Suffolk ones Trig, that's what car parks looked like when I was young. Lots of nice local registrations too! 

9 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

I don’t know how you guys have done it, I can’t work my way round the site. I click on Newcastle Sainsbury’s (Staffordshire) and I get every other store. Hanley store I can’t see any pictures. Fuck me I hate technology. 

I'm the same, struggling to find anything for the Swansea branch that opened in the late 80's, but I suppose they're may just not be many files??? 

Just now, Amishtat said:

Same here, trying to look for Colchester Tollgate but not getting anywhere. Thanks for posting the Suffolk ones Trig, that's what car parks looked like when I was young. Lots of nice local registrations too! 

Try this link Tim, It was my local Sainsbury's for many years too.

https://www.sainsburyarchive.org.uk/catalogue/search/branch/ref/p658-colchester-stanway-tollgate-west-1987-2011-sainsburys-branch

Here's some more car park gems.

SA_BRA_7_L_6_1_48hr.jpg

SA_BRA_7_I_1_6_6hr.jpg

SA_BRA_7_C_18_2_10hr.jpg

SA_BRA_7_D_14_1_182hr.jpg

SA_BRA_7_C_36_4_71hr.jpg

5 minutes ago, vaughant said:

I'm the same, struggling to find anything for the Swansea branch that opened in the late 80's, but I suppose they're may just not be many files??? 

Quite possibly so. 

Does anyone else think that whoever was taking the pictures was a shiter before it was cool. 

2 minutes ago, trigger said:

Isn't it a 15?