BX Roll Call

vulgalour

Well, if we're including previously owned BXs too...

IMG_0926.thumb.jpg.9702d568bb347e11645d2e5a8e5e1d52.jpg

Photo0366.thumb.jpg.66ea98ebf0719ff07031b19eb90200d0.jpg

Although only two in the last photo were mine; the 16v was being stored here and the Mk1 was Dollywobbler's.

Hydropneumatic suspension is very useful for crossing flooded roads (or lakes):

386514_10150513690038200_1584449301_n.thumb.jpg.822e293629cb8ac4224815304cf09ef5.jpg

I sadly don't have photos of all of my BXs with me at the moment, but there have been many of the years. The last one was the blue estate 'Autoshite bike' that I received from Cats and flogged to whatever FPB7 is these days. I thought that would be the end of my BX days to be honest, but you never know what the future might bring. It is now more difficult to run them as dailies, as the rot is becoming a problem, but they are joyous in their own way.

On 10/23/2019 at 12:47 PM, dean36014 said:

TPC estate was sold to someone in the BX club, as it really was terminally  rotten. I've no idea what happened to it after that. The radio lives on in Shonky though and the wheels went on Vulgalours Bx he rescued off me.

J798TPC - vehicle details not found on DVLA. Presumed dead then, shame as it used to live round the corner from me and I hoped it would live on after falling into AS hands. BXs do seem to hide the rot well though, I remember Vulgalour scrapping the ex Dollywobbler green tiger as it was far more knackered underneath than anyone had realised. In better estate news, the ex Holbeck/HMC J27TCF is alive and well and appeared in this year's FOTU concours. That's all I can add though as we've never owned any Citroens in the family.

This miserable heap of shit is mine.

It's a super rare and apparently desireable Hurricane special edition complete with turbocharged XUD power (the best engine for a BX, until it goes wrong at least). You can read my hideously out of date thread about it here.

post-20075-0-36159700-1504352179.thumb.jpg.fa60ab535b3aff5542af1d1b89d8ebcc.jpg

I've had it nearly four years and in that time the proportion of time it's spent on the road is small compared to the amount of time spent off the road with one major failure or another. It's not really the car's fault, one of its previous owners did all his own maintenance and servicing despite clearly being incompetent and subsequent owners didn't bother with maintenance and servicing at all.

Still, it has a remarkably clean, non rotten bodyshell (which is why I persist with it) and one day I'll have fixed absolutely everything.

It does look bloody cool, though.

1848923237_GoytValley1.thumb.jpg.a454461b7eaa6b9bd9da63511003a531.jpg

I am also a shareholder in the beige BX.

A bit more history to mine - the silver one was arguably the best condition BX I've owned, and I took it from 35k to 40k miles in around 2014. Just look at the usual rot spots!

IMG_2523.thumb.jpg.3811d87a5084c78979175c4d70d21b4b.jpg

IMG_2522.thumb.jpg.d65f78504b642ffe1c3cc53f511869ea.jpg

1051975604_IMG_2533z(6).thumb.jpg.793190b5d92024bd8bf843897a234d39.jpg

432243937_IMG_2533z(2).thumb.jpg.6ad4a986ec192a1a1b95e76d974bf75e.jpg

Giffer owned, so a few marks on the bumpers, but overall a great car. I sold it to an eBay buyer who turned out to be a real PITA! The night before collection I took it out for one last drive, and noticed a knocking ARB joint so having one in stock I decided to change it. To save time I didn't remove the wheel, just reached round behind the tyre and popped a ring spanner over the nut access was tight so got back in the car and turned the steering wheel. It was a bit stiff so started the engine, turned the wheel again and HISSSSSS! I'd only gone and pierced the tyre with the open end of the ring spanner!

Anyway, I told the guy he wouldn't be able to collect first thing next morning as I now had to replace the tyre...when I got back from the tyre depot he was at home waiting for me and complaining that I wasn't there as agreed. It was at this point I realised the perils of dealing with the general public... The rest of the deal went well, as he couldn't fault the car, but later that week he'd joined the BX Club forum and complained that there wasn't 13 months MOT as advertised, the fuel gauge was now showing nearer half a tank than the 3/4 pictured, and one of the indicators had stopped working!

To be fair, with collection a week after the 7 day auction there was now only 12.5 months MOT, and an extra 35 miles on the clock so the gauge had dropped a little. But he was getting a new tyre and drop link at no extra cost! He scrapped the car a year later when the MOT ran out, saying that he couldn't afford the insurance to get it re-tested! What a waste :-(

I see this morning that Hubwobbler has outed me as the real owner of his BX. He is of course correct, I bought it a few weeks ago.

Tis a 1986 BX19GT that was sitting in the dealers showroom for quite some time and was sold in May 1987. It has had about 4 owners, the last for about 20 years and he is a Mechanic who has another 4 as well. Bx16 Auto, Bx19 Auto, Dyane and a Visa. He did have an Ami till recently, So it has been in good hands. Sorry no photos as Ian is up north collecting dust and dead flies(etc) with it. 

I love BX and CX Citroens. Had quite a few over the years but not for a decade or two. I bought a 1.4 at Exeter auctions once which was a bloody risky thing to do as anyone who knows the 'quality' of the cars that went thru Exeter can attest! But I was broke and desperate for a cheap car...

Seat backs (front and rear) were seriously worn/rotted and there was a certain amunt of lacquer peel on the passengers front wing (repaired with a rattle can and looked fine) and it was a faded sort of JRG but other than that, perfect. Cost about £140 cos noone wanted a ten year old BX at Exeter that day. It was a great car and went well was dreadfully reliable and I made a profit a few months later when I sold it. Bought a Renault 25 GTX in three tone (two tone brown and cream with an odd bonnet!) for £80 and that ran around for a year or wo and again a huge profit was made.

Had a mate who was a serial BX botherer but liked the turbo diesels and had a BX TZD estate or something like that, went well.

I had a lovely 19GTI 16 valve and I adored it, was quick but God they aways felt so flimsy which was probably why tey are so quick - they weigh the same as an empty crisp packet. Sadly it ad to go in the pursuit of profit. There were always oddballs around that liked French chod while I could never give away a Ford or Vauxhall.

Don't worry , my BX can only be described as acceptable from a distance and it Photographs well. The reality is that the car desperately needs a respray. There is no rust except at the bottom of one rear door and not serious. It really only NEEDS titivation to remove some of the french foibles. It has covered 348000 km's so perfection cannot be expected. The Linglong tyres may go too, but they seem to be ok and are nearly new .

Having a lovely time in it, I must admit.

EH2uzDAUYAActAg.jpg

EIG5entUcAApk6i.jpg

Exhaust is starting to blow a bit and the front windows are falling off their runners, but it drives ASTONISHINGLY well for 349,000kms! Reckon that'll be 350,000kms before you get it back Stuno. Sorry for taking the big moment from you. 32mpg is a little disappointing, knowing I could get 40mpg from a 16v, but these carburettors are bloody horrible.  It is a long way from feeling sporty, but a comfortable, fine-handling way to travel that has certainly reminded me what I like about BXs - and what I dislike. Gearchange is pretty rubbish, single-wipers are pretty rubbish and the heater fan only works with the temp set to cold, BECAUSE FRENCH.

In short, best holiday ever.

Being as we have the forum's collective BX experts in one place in this thread, I guess here's a good enough place to ask a question or two. 

1. Which is the best BX to live with daily? 

2. Realistically, how much would one expect to pay for, say, a non-turbo diesel in usable but not amazing condition? 

3. Has anyone ever replaced the suspension with conventional springs, or would that defeat the object? 

Not the toughest of gearboxes, but smooth enough and yes, four speed. I would not go for carb auto. I think a GTI or TZI Auto is currently my dream BX. They did also do diesel autos, but not turbo.

Suspension is not the thing to be scared of with these. Rot is, and rear suspension arm bearings not far behind - probably £150 per side to sort those out.

Fantastic thread folks. The BX has featured quite prominently in a number of French classic car mags - I have one where the whole edition is dedicated to BX. But I see very few on the road over here when I am about...ie none...I can't even remember the last time I saw one. I will however keep looking...

Here are my 2 former steeds.....

6D4E8382-49FB-4987-9AB0-8A732CED102F.thumb.png.f51f884c7000fdffc73c5e7b4d217321.png

976C34FE-7D21-4C9E-8F33-096379C87C47.thumb.png.8eed4a7677d70719ef5ac112b3b40975.png

C1CC256E-F6CF-4923-87B1-420EE3D1F140.thumb.png.f97c4cd6935c429c3954a3f818e07dc8.png

Silver one has done the rounds on here, latterly with Barrett till it expired. 1.7 xudt flying machine with super comfy soft spec spheres (refreshed by minimad5)

Blue one was in superb condition, so much so I was afraid to use it!