Pride & Joy

Shonky

Hello there.

It's come to my attention that I haven't been very active on here since acquiring my latest car, and I thought you lot may like some pictures.

Here's my 1993 Kia Pride 1.3 LX, 1 of 26 remaining MK1s, and mine's in the lovely Kingfisher Blue.

7hokPcp.png

A0ezjdQ.png

pmakZXv.png

z89PbPn.png

I came into her through a Facebook car spotting page; the previous owner posted after pulling her out of a garage where she'd been laid up since 2015. An intended spares car for a 121 he had at the time, though he remarked it was far too tidy for such a purpose.

Some work was required for the MOT and she's undergone a pretty comprehensive service but I've had 1,000 miles of joy over the past month so far!

Lovely to add to the variety of cars on here and be part of it all. :) 

My local garage used to only sell theese, the town used be full of them, it then changed (to just sell any old shit) and most had disappeared within a couple of years. Havn't seen one since about 2000. As others have said good save, on a car id pretty much forgot existed.

1 hour ago, spartacus said:

Smart, I always thought these were a good looking car. I guess it's pretty nippy with the 1.3.

They're brilliant.  In the US they put b6 and b8 (the 1.6 and 1.8 engines from the MX5) in them, giving a starting point of 135bhp.  Great steering, nimble, light, good visibility.

Thank you for the comments, everyone! Make no mistake, it'll be at FOTU. I attended my first this year and, well, I can't see myself missing one by choice. 

11 hours ago, spartacus said:

Smart, I always thought these were a good looking car. I guess it's pretty nippy with the 1.3.

Very much so! Picks up speed incredibly well, and sits very comfortably at 70 on the motorway as I found out when I moved from Surrey to North Yorkshire recently. The bouncy suspension really makes the ride.

7 hours ago, Fumbler said:

I recognise that registration AND colour! I must have followed one before. It looks great. +1 on bringing it to FoTU next year!

Could've well done! It was sold brand new in Derbyshire and there is a photo hanging about somewhere on Flickr when it was spotted near Church Gresley in 2014. It lived nearer to Brum when I bought it.

3 hours ago, Minty106 said:

Had it even been driven? Obviously been garaged...

The paint is in decent nick from a fair distance, with some minor marks and scratches on the roof. I've recently attacked some rust on the rear arches and resprayed both arches/sill ends in Rover's Kingfisher, which is relatively close - but it's better than looking at rust. Interior is immaculate.

17 hours ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Needs Moar whitewalls.

It'll be a while before the wallet permits that ? First job is to attack the awful respray on the front bumper and reinstate the red pinstripe.

9 hours ago, egg said:

Love it 10/10 autoshite, bring it to Festival of the Unexceptional next year :-)

And let me have a go, I need* to convince myself that it's not acceptable to put kids in one.

*The reason I sold mine for £120 with 12 months test

• 1 year later...

Been a while! Not much to report. Sorted the dodgy front bumper, replaced the alternator, ticked over 50k and passed the MOT in August. We've done London, York, the Peak District, Sheffield, Liverpool, Cornwall...

Also had a feature in the Retro Cars magazine around February with my friend Jude and his fantastic white 1.3 LX 5 door.

IMG_6739.JPG

WilliamPic.jpg

pridesteph.png

Well done for keeping a Pride going. I have not seen one on the road for years. We had one in the 1990s.  Mainly driven by my wife - she preferred it to the Micra inherited from my mum. The 5 door has a slightly longer wheelbase than the 3 door.  The attached photo is the best I can find of it, partially hiding behind my CX and with just a hint of our Volvo 66 boot creeping in to shot.

Scan 122.jpeg

15 minutes ago, RayMK said:

Well done for keeping a Pride going. I have not seen one on the road for years. We had one in the 1990s.  Mainly driven by my wife - she preferred it to the Micra inherited from my mum. The 5 door has a slightly longer wheelbase than the 3 door.  The attached photo is the best I can find of it, partially hiding behind my CX and with just a hint of our Volvo 66 boot creeping in to shot.

Scan 122.jpeg

Thank you! Oh, ABSOLUTELY. I’d love a 5 door but I’m pretty attached to mine now. A white 3 door has recently appeared in a Welsh scrappy with those very wheel trims.

Thanks for sharing that spectacular picture. I’ve also had the privilege of trying a K10 and I definitely find the Pride more comfortable and accommodating for the mileage I do.

7 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Jude Currie's notoriety spreads ever wider in Prideland!

We almost bought ours in conjunction with each other. The owner of his was giving up driving, and mine was up a month later having been pulled out of a lock-up after 4 years with no MOT. I'd already tried his beforehand and their reliability record, build quality and simplicity was too good to miss. Plus it was £225, and being just under 19 I needed the cheap insurance... 😂

Nice to see one of these still around. I had a 5 door in the late 90s, bought it with 115k on the clock, sold it about 2 years later with ...115k on the clock. Only noticed the odo was broken  after a week or so of ownership so lord knows what mileage it had really done, felt high-ish. To date I think it's the only car I've ever actually sold on as actual working transport. Offered it to a bloke from work for about £300, he came to have a look and it just refused to start, ran the battery flat turning it over, them jump leaded it up to the wife's car and continued to crank while it sort of tried to fire a bit until eventually it relented and finally spluttered into life - at which point the guy just handed me the cash and drove it away😮 Couldn't believe he still wanted it.

Also remember having an argument with my MOT guy who refused to believe it was fitted with a cat. Not relevant to the MOT, it had already passed but he was laughing at me because I'd referred to the cat and he was convinced that was just a silencer box because the Pride still had a carb which as everyone knows definitely doesn't work with a cat. He was so convinced he was right he shoved his emissions probe up the tailpipe to prove his point, at which point he had to admit he was wrong😄 Not only cat fitted, but still fully functional after 115k miles (honest) behind a carb.