Once seen, can't be unseen

Cheggers

Toyota C-HR - WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK

It makes the Pontiac Aztec look like a contenter for car of the year.

Toyota HQ "look guys, we've been churning out boring looking family car shit for years, anyone got any idea's for something new?"

Design Team "lets design a car using only set squares"

Toyota HQ "fuck it, go on then, how bad can it be!"

Also why on earth decide to put the handle for the rear passenger door at the top? Would have looked fine where everyone else puts theirs. Could have taken a leaf out of Alfa's book as at least they had the common decency to put it somewhere convenient (and discrete) on the 156.

ct-1511209315-kyys7rpged-snap-image.jpeg

5 hours ago, Shep Shepherd said:

The rear door window frames of the Volvo 200 Series estate car:

9287391.jpg

The black paint on the later models makes the shape of the frames less obvious, but even so...

That has bothered me for years since I was 5 and my dad had one. It got to the point many years ago where now I smirk every time i see one. I mean, everything to the rear of the door is different from the saloon. Why not just get some slightly different shaped glass and a window frame. Honestly how much can they have saved by doing that...grrr etc. 

Estates with saloon doors are simply slack design.

FB & EK Holdens suffer the same fate, but strangely the previous and subsequent models had different, squarer doors for the estates.

034B3185-4018-4CF8-85F5-E9E9A6E14C21.jpeg.a85d642ef61e98c24c15d13425434191.jpeg

My bother is with Toyota’s 4WD Estate design department.

”Should we make the side windows line up with the doors?”

”Nah, fuck it, let’s go the the pub.”

7A97DC09-F79B-45F9-8CEA-32F336829934.jpeg.f84cda09f2b92c9c0834cd1684c92bf6.jpeg

2BDE4218-CAD9-4A80-AACE-26588804592C.jpeg.5b5d4d9ef45455484582360ca6b08843.jpeg

8 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

that the steering wheel in a Model 70 is ever so slightly to the right...

(same goes for the seat in all Model 70's)

IIRC there was a practical reason for the offset seat, which was to give space for a folded wheelchair at the side.  At least they then put the steering wheel squarely in front of the driving seat.

8 minutes ago, adw1977 said:

Oddly complicated rear door shape near the handle, too.  Never noticed that before. 

Dates back to the Triumph Mayflower, which itself looked a bit weird as a 2-door, with rear passenger windows that looked as though they should have been part of a door....

10997931.jpg

23 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

the Triumph Mayflower, which itself looked a bit weird....

No shit. One of the ugliest cars ever along with that Daimler Dart thing that looks like a deep sea fish.

Anyway this one always annoyed me when it came out;

21509286_b_z.jpg

Side windows should line up. That's just the law. As for this

Skoda_Roomster_front_20091212.jpg

Looks like the front and rear were designed by different teams.

1 hour ago, adw1977 said:

IIRC there was a practical reason for the offset seat, which was to give space for a folded wheelchair at the side.  At least they then put the steering wheel squarely in front of the driving seat.

Aye I know why they did it and I talk about in my thread :) (the chair and wheel was off set to the right specifically as although the Model 70 is a 2 door machine, they really only wanted you using the left hand side to get in and out, ie the one closest to the kerb)

but I just never noticed the steering wheel thing before until inspecting Dolly up close at the FoD a couple months back :) and now you seen it you can't unsee it as per the title of the thread :)

funnily enough the handle bar variants have the handle bars smack bang in the centerline of the car (although I cant quite tell if the actual handle bar is welded offset in relation to the 2 forks or not)

IMG_0500.thumb.JPG.081f5faf9caca03b465fe2fc6ac7299d.JPG

10 hours ago, Steve79 said:

Toyota C-HR - WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK

It makes the Pontiac Aztec look like a contenter for car of the year.

Toyota HQ "look guys, we've been churning out boring looking family car shit for years, anyone got any idea's for something new?"

Design Team "lets design a car using only set squares"

Toyota HQ "fuck it, go on then, how bad can it be!"

Also why on earth decide to put the handle for the rear passenger door at the top? Would have looked fine where everyone else puts theirs. Could have taken a leaf out of Alfa's book as at least they had the common decency to put it somewhere convenient (and discrete) on the 156.

ct-1511209315-kyys7rpged-snap-image.jpeg

I'd say just stupid ugly crossover / SUV / compromised piles of shit / whatever you want to call them, in general.

Why do vehicles that are both scream-out-loud ugly and also massively impractical sell like fucking hot cakes?! People are stupid. I do sometimes think the human race deserves its inevitable extinction caused by its own hubris. The C-HR is four-wheeled evidence of that.

The other day, outside St Abbs, I was walking along a path next to a narrow twisty little road. A grey C-HR on personal plates pulled up and stopped in the road. No hazards, nothing. The two doddery old fuckwits in the front were fannying about with the sat nav or whatever. They sat there for ages on a narrow road with poor visibility with no hazards on. It's not as if they could have pulled into the clearly visible car park about 100 yards further along to do that. No, because that would require one iota of intelligence. That iota of intelligence was already evidently absent by the fact they were driving a C-HR in the first place. My eyes were almost burning holes through the body panels as I walked past.

Every time I see one it's driven incredibly badly, to the point you almost just want to give up driving knowing that other people can get away with driving so badly. I guess they're doing their best, judging by how little visibility it must have.

I'm not a fan of them, it must be said.

The styling of the C-HR, to me, looks like Toyota looked at the Nissan Juke and said "Yes! More. More of everything. More ugly, more compromised visibility, more general dumbfuckery."