Once seen, can't be unseen

Cheggers

8 hours ago, Soundwave said:

Suzuki Ignis. Looks like someone got a measurement wrong somewhere, either making the cabin too narrow or the track too wide... and they just decided to roll with it anyway.

Suzuki Ignis 1.2 Dualjet Hybrid 4WD SZ5 2020 UK review | Autocar

Totally with you on this. Front and side profile is ok, but rear looks bloody awful. 

17 hours ago, Soundwave said:

Suzuki Ignis. Looks like someone got a measurement wrong somewhere, either making the cabin too narrow or the track too wide... and they just decided to roll with it anyway.

I was following an SUV of some kind recently which also had a stoopid looking narrow cabin and wide track; can't recall what it was tho soz.

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/25/2020 at 1:04 AM, Soundwave said:

Suzuki Ignis. Looks like someone got a measurement wrong somewhere, either making the cabin too narrow or the track too wide...

I think Suzuki learned their lesson from the rollover issues with the SJ410/413 and were taking zero chances of that happening again.

On 3/11/2020 at 12:16 PM, martc said:

I'm a bit late to this and apologies if someone else has mentioned the following phun phact...

Phun phact - Hyundai's Veloster has one back door, but it is swapped over depending on RHD or LHD. Why can Hyundai do this and BMW/MINI cannot? Is it some form of arrogance? See also RHD and LHD window wipers - some companies swap them over, other don't - the ones who can't be arsed are usually French, or BMW - coincidence? And the location of the interior bonnet pull.

UK

Image result for hyundai veloster doors

Germany

Image result for hyundai veloster doors

There go all the cost savings of only making 3 doors in one fell swoop. If we want to talk arrogance maybe it's time we finally started driving on the right like everyone else. 

6 hours ago, Sausage5000 said:

Does South Korea drive on the left?

No they don't, but the LHD influence of the British and Japanese founders of the Korean car manufacturers can still be seen - most Korean cars have their filler caps on the nearside (for easy filling at  LHD road side petrol stations back in the day) and, until recently, indicators on the right - which allow you to change gear and indicate at the same time.

20190202000185_0.jpg.043583ce6e2d9c25c4835afc24307eca.jpg

South Korea, yesterday.

7 hours ago, 1duck said:

There go all the cost savings of only making 3 doors in one fell swoop. If we want to talk arrogance maybe it's time we finally started driving on the right like everyone else. 

35% of the worlds population drive on the left (https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/countries-that-drive-on-the-left) so it's hardly a niche market. It wouldn't just be us having to change over....

India

Indonesia

Pakistan

Bangladesh

Japan

Thailand

United Kingdom

Tanzania

South Africa

Kenya

Uganda

Malaysia

Mozambique

Nepal

Australia

Sri Lanka

Malawi

Zambia

Zimbabwe

Papua New Guinea

Hong Kong

Singapore

Ireland

New Zealand

Jamaica

Namibia

Botswana

Lesotho

Trinidad And Tobago

Timor Leste

Mauritius

Cyprus

Swaziland

Fiji

Guyana

Bhutan

Solomon Islands

Macau

Suriname

Maldives

Malta

Brunei

Bahamas

Barbados

Samoa

Saint Lucia

Kiribati

Grenada

Saint Vincent And The Grenadines

Tonga

United States Virgin Islands

Seychelles

Antigua And Barbuda

Isle Of Man

Dominica

Cayman Islands

Bermuda

Saint Kitts And Nevis

Turks And Caicos Islands

British Virgin Islands

Cook Islands

Anguilla

Tuvalu

Nauru

Montserrat

Falkland Islands

Niue

Tokelau

I'm not fussed about switching sides of driving, that would be a massive world-wide pain in the arse.

But we could start using meters and kilometres here, and watts and newton force. I mean we do already, we arbitrarily re-convert to get back to these peppercorn units.

Worm can open.

2 minutes ago, martc said:

35% of the worlds population drive on the left (https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/countries-that-drive-on-the-left) so it's hardly a niche market. It wouldn't just be us having to change over....

India

Indonesia

Pakistan

Bangladesh

Last time i checked 35% is a minority but we're in fine company. I often think let me take the channel tunnel to Saint kitt and nevis. 

Remove Indias population from that statistic, given that having driven there its less drive on the left more avoid the pot holes/pedestrians/motorcyclists say a prayer and hope for the best. Then the 35% starts to fall apart, as Indias massive population causes the statistical anomaly. 

The list looks impressive until you glance at it for more than 10 seconds and realise that, it has been  padded with Caribbean islands and tiny African states as people grasped at straws.  A lot of those countries drive on the left but use right hand drive cars, because they use cast off European exports, so it doesn't really stand up...i doubt VW is really battling for control of the car market of Kiribati. 

13 minutes ago, Tim_E said:

I'm not fussed about switching sides of driving, that would be a massive world-wide pain in the arse.

But we could start using meters and kilometres here, and watts and newton force. I mean we do already, we arbitrarily re-convert to get back to these peppercorn units.

Worm can open.

The only real issue would be changing motorway junctions/signage we were considering it back in the 70s but costs were deemed too high. 

Shame really to remain the odd one out in Europe, but it keeps our second hand cars cheap so won't complain too much. 

9 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

For some reason I was taught a mix of metric and imperial measurements, so if I'm measuring an object I'll use mm or cm, but think of my height and weight in feet inches and stones/lbs. Nuts and bolts should be metric, speed should be in mph

Heights in feet and weights in stone, but metric for everything else its weird how our brains become wired! 

4 hours ago, 1duck said:

Last time i checked 35% is a minority but we're in fine company. I often think let me take the channel tunnel to Saint kitt and nevis. 

Remove Indias population from that statistic....

35% is a minority but it's still over a third of the worlds population. Many politicians have 'removed' statistics to prove a point, it usually doesn't turn out well and doesn't remove the fact. Which brings me to my original point - why do/did some manufacturers (mainly French and BMW) ignore the requirements of 35% of the worlds population when it comes to, for example, wiper orientation? 

As for changing to the metric system for signs - the expense would be prohibitive - just count how many signs, with dimensions on them, you see on your journey home tonight and then put an order in for the following as a simple example - 

image.png.ae38fc919cb0a9112a463b4df9b0f358.pngimage.thumb.png.be447097ea86b3008c2bedcae38979fc.png

+ labour and concrete. etc etc.

1 minute ago, martc said:

why do/did some manufacturers (mainly French and BMW) ignore the requirements of 35% of the worlds population when it comes to, for example, wiper orientation? 

because it's not 35% of the worlds population, as i was trying to point out to you above, you really think an indian who has a car which is held together by hope and string gives a fuck about the orientation of the wipers on a bmw? or that bmw really gives a shit about his opinion on the matter?

Maybe once indias growing middle class really comes into play, you might see a change in play in terms of that, but until then it's a tiny minority of the world that drives on the wrong side of the road. 

On 10/25/2020 at 1:04 AM, Soundwave said:

It also looks like it's using a panty liner.

The Suzuki Tena for men, has a certain ring to it..:)

6 hours ago, martc said:

35% is a minority but it's still over a third of the worlds population. Many politicians have 'removed' statistics to prove a point, it usually doesn't turn out well and doesn't remove the fact. Which brings me to my original point - why do/did some manufacturers (mainly French and BMW) ignore the requirements of 35% of the worlds population when it comes to, for example, wiper orientation? 

As for changing to the metric system for signs - the expense would be prohibitive - just count how many signs, with dimensions on them, you see on your journey home tonight and then put an order in for the following as a simple example - 

image.png.ae38fc919cb0a9112a463b4df9b0f358.pngimage.thumb.png.be447097ea86b3008c2bedcae38979fc.png

+ labour and concrete. etc etc.

This has wound me up recently what with (most of ) France going back to 90kph .

All the new signs look brand new.

I bet Claud  down at the council yard is going to have a fucking good Xmas after he weighs in all the old 90's and the now old 80's