Once seen, can't be unseen

Cheggers

8 minutes ago, willswitchengage said:

Range Rover Velar - strange extra 'panel' at the rear beneath the outermost taillights:

rrv_2.jpg?itok=S8tl4tOD

Insignia estate. Open at the boot and it gives birth to more lights!

vauxhall_insignia_sports_tourer_2009_029

The curious little 'fins' glued onto the rear quarter panels of the previous generation Civic, what are they for?

honda-civic-21_0_0.jpg

I like the insignia lights, means you can fit massive stuff in and still have rear lights with the tailgate tied open with a piece of string.

3 minutes ago, Tamworthbay said:

12 minutes ago, willswitchengage said:

Range Rover Velar - strange extra 'panel' at the rear beneath the outermost taillights:

rrv_2.jpg?itok=S8tl4tOD

Insignia estate. Open at the boot and it gives birth to more lights!

vauxhall_insignia_sports_tourer_2009_029

The curious little 'fins' glued onto the rear quarter panels of the previous generation Civic, what are they for?

honda-civic-21_0_0.jpg

I like the insignia lights, means you can fit massive stuff in and still have rear lights with the tailgate tied open with a piece of string.

Yes - and it means you still have lights and hazards if you open the boot. I like too.

Guessing the extra lights on the Insignia are because it’s sold as a Buick in the USA and tail lights aren’t allowed to be fitted to a moveable piece of bodywork.

Could be wrong. Handy, regardless!

The Civic fin things have to be related to airflow.

29 minutes ago, Three Speed said:

Yes - and it means you still have lights and hazards if you open the boot. I like too.

13 minutes ago, overrun said:

Guessing the extra lights on the Insignia are because it’s sold as a Buick in the USA and tail lights aren’t allowed to be fitted to a moveable piece of bodywork.

Could be wrong. Handy, regardless!

The Civic fin things have to be related to airflow.

Makes sense though, if you had a puncture on a dark road at night it would be bloody dangerous otherwise.

On 10/19/2019 at 4:07 PM, rainagain said:

Has anyone got a pic showing what it was meant to look like before the change? 

I'm going to have to get involved here. I've had this very debate on twitter. The 75's face is as it was designed from the start. You can see the shut line between the bumper and wing in this concept sketch:

r40story_01.jpg

The 75 was never designed with the indicator as part of the headlamp unit. This has been clarified by a certain Mr Woolley.

On 11/24/2019 at 6:13 PM, willswitchengage said:

honda-civic-21_0_0.jpg

Those fins are indeed about airflow; As far as I know they are little spoilers to detatch the airflow  rather than clean air being sucked into the rear re-circulation bubbles. This reduces drag by a tiny precent. Most cars have straight lines up the sides that detach the airflow or the designers are not bothered about that tiny drag saving.

On 10/28/2019 at 10:33 AM, Eyersey1234 said:

Quite possibly, I have heard that following Brexit a load of Grey squirrels will be emigrating to Japan to take up work as car designers :lol:

Give an infinite number of (Japanese) Squirrels an infinite number of PC's loaded solely with Microsoft Paint and look what happens...

On 11/24/2019 at 5:07 PM, Slappy said:

nissan-juke20-1.thumb.jpg.b6d11e7a977d3bcc46319631a53bcdbf.jpg

Looks like your prediction came true.

Suppose the old jeep is committing a couple of these faux pas...  rear side windows don't line up (top or bottom!  the horror!), also... the rear door is tiny, and I'm not convinced that the handles are at the same height.  Bloody hell!  I better get a GCHQ or whatever the new bit of Toyorigami* is called.

WP_20191109_13_13_40_Pro.thumb.jpg.309421e1b2a929cd5c92eac99b743358.jpg 

*ancient art of folding sheet metal into an ungodly mess.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2019 at 6:43 AM, Sir Snipes said:

Did they redesign the suspension or chassis?

Yes Saab did alter the suspension, not the chassis though.

The white 99, being a later one, uses the suspension and brakes from the larger 900 model. 

I don't know though, if the difference is in the trailing arm, or just the mounting location on the axle for the trailing arm.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...