Once seen, can't be unseen

Cheggers

Just now, vulgalour said:

BMW 7 series rear indicators, it's like they forgot do design them in and threw them on at the last minute.  Either drop them into the rest of the light cluster, or bring the rest of the light cluster up to meet them, not this.

Dunno, the E32 was always meant to have that style of "L" cluster as it set the styling tone for successive other models over the years - see the E34 which had a similar setup, followed by the E65 (which really was hideous all over), E46, etc.

1 minute ago, The Vicar said:

I quite fancy a Mayflower as a matter of fact. Charming old things so they are! But very odd indeed.

They look like they were meant to be a four-door with a longer wheelbase, until someone in the design department thought compressing the wheelbase was a winner.

2 hours ago, Supernaut said:

I'd say just stupid ugly crossover / SUV / compromised piles of shit / whatever you want to call them, in general.

Why do vehicles that are both scream-out-loud ugly and also massively impractical sell like fucking hot cakes?! People are stupid. I do sometimes think the human race deserves its inevitable extinction caused by its own hubris. The C-HR is four-wheeled evidence of that.

The other day, outside St Abbs, I was walking along a path next to a narrow twisty little road. A grey C-HR on personal plates pulled up and stopped in the road. No hazards, nothing. The two doddery old fuckwits in the front were fannying about with the sat nav or whatever. They sat there for ages on a narrow road with poor visibility with no hazards on. It's not as if they could have pulled into the clearly visible car park about 100 yards further along to do that. No, because that would require one iota of intelligence. That iota of intelligence was already evidently absent by the fact they were driving a C-HR in the first place. My eyes were almost burning holes through the body panels as I walked past.

Every time I see one it's driven incredibly badly, to the point you almost just want to give up driving knowing that other people can get away with driving so badly. I guess they're doing their best, judging by how little visibility it must have.

I'm not a fan of them, it must be said.

The styling of the C-HR, to me, looks like Toyota looked at the Nissan Juke and said "Yes! More. More of everything. More ugly, more compromised visibility, more general dumbfuckery."

The CHR drives beautifully. I dare say that’s why they sell so many. 

5 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

They are quite nice to drive to be fair. I found they seem quite dark in the back and the blind spots are massive. 

1 hour ago, vulgalour said:

BMW 7 series rear indicators, it's like they forgot to design them in and threw them on at the last minute.  Either drop them into the rest of the light cluster, or bring the rest of the light cluster up to meet them, not this.

15870458_large.jpg

If I had one it would be black and have the indicators tinted

8 minutes ago, JeeExEll said:

This one's more annoying if you own one (which we do, it's been in dry storage for some time).

Pug alloys from around 2000, available on 206, 406, etc.  Not directional, same on both sides.  Grrrrr!   Looks odd once you know about it.

I have often wondered about directional alloys but have never walked round to view the other side. I agree that it's annoying and would annoy me if I owned a car so equipped.

17 minutes ago, JeeExEll said:

This one's more annoying if you own one (which we do, it's been in dry storage for some time).

Pug alloys from around 2000, available on 206, 406, etc.  Not directional, same on both sides.  Grrrrr!   Looks odd once you know about it.

yqylTP2.jpg

pY8XlBK.jpg

This issue has always really bothered me and I've never even owned directional alloys!

1 hour ago, BorniteIdentity said:

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, as I haven't driven one (surprise, surprise).

However, there are many other cars that manage to drive nicely and at the same time avoid looking like somebody bolted 4 wheels to one of Kryten's turds.

kryten.jpg

2 hours ago, Steve79 said:

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!

Toyota "lack of" IQ. Absolutely despicable!

Looks like a fucking shoe on wheels!

These are number one on my hit list for when i win £169 million on the lottery. I'm going to buy them all and chuck them on a massive bonfire.

buyers_guide_-_toyota_iq_2014_-_front_quarter.jpg

20191018_122948.thumb.jpg.3f1195f297eb25f8121f0a0a683664df.jpg

I should go work for Toyota. I got this design thing down pat.

Instead of using the elegant door handles from an R107 Mercedes decided that the handles for the C126 SEC should look like cheap shoe-trees.

mercedes-benz-s-class-coupe-c126-mk35-pi

If you want to keep flogging an old model despite it looking very curvy compared to the new straight edged design, just stick some a couple of slabs of plastic in where the old rear lights used to be.

5d5e2366ab454125445bc689

Also, hate everything about these 

BG199406_26b08d.jpg.b709834084db204706e5991b56fa25d9.jpg

The big arches and tiny wheels, stupid rear door handles and general crapness. 

I cannot stand these hidden rear door handles - they fool nobody. 

Even when done well like the 156 they are still crap. 

Just why?  

Are we supposed to think this shitty shopping car is a graceful coupe? 

4 hours ago, bunglebus said:

Yeah. BL penny pinching at its worst, just make a proper pair of coupé doors!

Interesting about the Marina Coupe doors, my dad had one and we never had any problems with access to it.

Morris_Marina_Coupe.jpg

More recently I had a Citroen C4 VTS Coupe and lots (I mean LOTS) of people complain about the doors being so big! I can't say we've had a problem with them.

IMG_4524.thumb.JPG.190d6d33a7c02ea3fea246f916198d48.JPG

Now I have the Volvo C30 and I have noticed lots of people on Volvo forums complaining that the doors are too big! I don't get it, they seem fine to me...

IMG_9117.thumb.JPG.3f72e8c675c919eb822a20acaad703b0.JPG

To me the biggest problem out of all was that the Marina needed a hatchback...

49 minutes ago, w00dy said:

Instead of using the elegant door handles from an R107 Mercedes decided that the handles for the C126 SEC should look like cheap shoe-trees.

mercedes-benz-s-class-coupe-c126-mk35-pi

If you want to keep flogging an old model despite it looking very curvy compared to the new straight edged design, just stick some a couple of slabs of plastic in where the old rear lights used to be.

5d5e2366ab454125445bc689

image.thumb.jpeg.90b61bda7f2e6dda143a8ac1c605c9a2.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a54a528d88329551942b836f5c0c9220.jpeg

vw made a feature of the plastic bung they put in the repeater hole when they put the indicators in the mirrors on the Sharan.

image.thumb.jpeg.4add383dac90eaec5e4de9ddfd51f633.jpegimage.jpeg.0a4b2651b1e790d36e4c79a2b9059674.jpeg