I bought a Discovery TD5

JJ0063

Hello guys, 

Been out of the picture for a while, had quite possibly the worst few months of my life, started with returning from 3 days at Silverstone Classic to find my dad dead in his house.. then someone fell asleep at the wheel and wrote the Golf off, step dad diagnosed with cancer, mother in law died, all in the space of two months.. currently pretty head fucked but bearing up. 

That aside, after the Golf got written off I was paid out a decent amount but felt as though with the amount I’d recently spent on it (new tyres, brakes, suspension etc) it was worth buying it back and putting it back on the road. Paid £334 to buy it back, £174 on getting it back on the road (wing mirror, wheel bearing, alloy, MOT test) 

13-D1-C9-D4-99-F6-4-E98-8-CBE-909297-B2-

8-B6-D8-B31-0-E39-4-CD0-8-DC8-D28-EFC556

B4-D952-FE-9-F48-45-E6-82-A7-143-D75-F60

C02-D7043-FC83-4221-92-EA-D1-EA69-FE863-

then a week later someone crashed into the front of it in a car park! Gave me £350 for the inconvenience but I didn’t fix it. Therefore the Golf is now pretty much a free daily driver.

I then decided to spend some of the payout on a toy so got this:

A1-AB5-CAF-BE76-4-A06-ACFF-E0-D35-FD9-B8

I’m now addicted to buying stuff for it though, so it currently looks like this...

48-D830-EC-D3-E3-4-B00-97-F5-220-D1-C6-A

7-C3-BD6-C5-477-C-4-DDF-A043-07087421-E5

So yeah, 2 shite cars now. Battered Golf with an odd wheel and the Disco which I adore but will probably bankrupt me...

2” lift and wide arches going on this weekend though..

Good to be back. 

Jordan 

Just now, Andyrew said:

Sounds like a run of some shit luck. Sorry to hear about your losses. 

How's the chassis on the disco? 

Thanks mate. 

Surprisingly good, I had a good check over when we fitted the turbo back straight through exhaust... it’s never had any advisories on rust, no previous welding and doesn’t need anything. In an ideal world it needs a wire brush then an under seal but there’s nothing more than slight surface rust anywhere I’ve looked.. so far...

4 minutes ago, Garythesnail said:

It's pretty shit when you get just one of the 'events' above, never mind the series you've experienced - do your best.?

Now you've gone and bought a Disco and compounded it. ?

Excellent. got it how you want it or more to do?

FIFY

5 minutes ago, Garythesnail said:

It's pretty shit when you get just one of the 'events' above, never mind the series you've experienced - do your best.?

Now you've gone and bought a perfectly good Disco and ruined it. ?

Excellent. got it how you want it or more to do?

Thanks! 

Some will say ruined, I’m honestly really pleased with it so far!

Once I get the lift kit on this weekend along with the wide arches I’ll be happy (can’t currently drive it as the 31” tyres are too big without a lift) and they’re obviously not legal without the wide arches. 

Nothing much else planned for it, I’ll want a winch one day but just want to enjoy it. I’m surrounded by green lanes and have a pay & play site 10 mins away too. Roll on winter...

17 hours ago, New POD said:

Where did you get the front number plate? 

Want a stick on one for an mx5. 

It’s just a £6.99 eBay special however doesn’t have any BSAU markings so I’ll probably end up putting the import plate back on the winch bumper. 

15 hours ago, djoptix said:

I trust you have a "one life - live it" sticker and a spare wheel cover with a picture of a wolf on?

I don’t! I only have one sticker on it which is sadboiraceclub - a club raising mental health awareness and part of the money goes to charity so I like to support them. 

don’t have a spare wheel currently, maybe I’ll buy one of those wolf fleeces that old women buy from markets to make up for it? 

That is a really horrible set of events you have gone through, very sorry for your losses. Certainly puts things into perspective. I REALLY like the look of the Disco. I have a P38 RR and for all the hassle I forgive it mainly because as a vehicle, when working properly, it really is a superb design. I'd imagine it would be much the same with the Disco.

On 10/18/2019 at 11:11 AM, NorfolkNWeigh said:

I quite like the big tyres/standard suspension look. Reminds me of a Matchbox car when they first put Superfast wheels on, probably not ideal for off road though, how high are you going?

Cheers! Just a 2”, enough to get the wheels on safely. 

On 10/18/2019 at 11:40 AM, Broadsword said:

That is a really horrible set of events you have gone through, very sorry for your losses. Certainly puts things into perspective. I REALLY like the look of the Disco. I have a P38 RR and for all the hassle I forgive it mainly because as a vehicle, when working properly, it really is a superb design. I'd imagine it would be much the same with the Disco.

Cheers mate, I honestly love it. There’s so much you can do and so many parts around! 

So here it is, 2” SuperGaz heavy duty lift kit fitted. Not a huge increase but the wheels now don’t catch. All that’s left to do is fit the arches but I need to get the angle grinder out first...

8-E05-E294-6388-48-F8-B622-EE43-DE4-E8-E

Really pleased with it and can’t wait to go for a drive! 

I just recently got to know mine again after a good few months of not driving it. Blew it's tubes out at the weekend and took that old eight banger up to 95. It took about 17 miles to get there and it marked that achievement by breaking it's horn switch (again) but my head gaskets held out and there's still oil in it.

I haven't modified it, only cut off bits that were falling off but I've rebuilt the top end and got some arnotts on the back, added some top end HT leads and thrown some decent speakers in the rear door. Got to fix a smashed front bumper on it now, I can't blame the missis really as the master cylinder shit itself a while back and stopping it in an emergency can be a challenge. That's getting done this weekend. It's no worse to run than any other old lump but my biggest issue is when it's wash time... It takes flipping ages!

Sounds awesome though, probably the only reason why I'm keeping it! Good luck with yours man, get your waving hand ready!

Next purchase, a winch! I’ve got a D1 300tdi for getting dirty in (oooo errr) and a D3 for towing the caravan. I skipped the D2 era because I get fed up of welding the D1 and electrical gremlins scare me. The D1 is always rotten and the D3, well, it just keeps plodding on. Just done over 1100 miles to Scotland and back with the caravan on and it’s been fine. Get some green laning done! 

Nice Discovery. I've got one also that im in middle of fitting the same lift kit to. Had few problems with rusted bolts. Both of my rear shock top bolts snapped which was fun but got everything I need to reassemble it tomorrow. 

Yours should have the locking centre diff on it at that age I'd assume? 

On 10/23/2019 at 8:48 PM, sutty2006 said:

the D3, well, it just keeps plodding on

For the love of god, don't ever ever say, type, or even think that!

Dad's D3 has just well and truly shit itself in the gearbox department. Au revoir dearest D3.

On 10/24/2019 at 1:56 AM, RazorSix said:

Waxoyl, waxoyl, and more waxoyl. Watch out for the boot floor rotting out and front floor pans. 

Polybushes all round. 

Sand ladders and farmer's jack. 

Planning on the waxoyl! 

Boot floors were D1, these don’t tend to go on D2’s thankfully! 

18 hours ago, thatsmacar said:

After all that, would you recommend a Disco to someone whos other half is still toying with the idea of getting a caravan or go for a dez car?

Honesty time.. 

I love it, I find excuses to go for a drive all the time now. It’ll go anywhere, it’s comfy, it’s high up so visibility is great. They tow brilliantly.

however I’m glad it’s not my daily.. it’s quite thirsty (28-30mpg on a good day) 

In standard form, absolutely. Mine is a bit obnoxious, very loud, it’s wide now with these wheels too...

22 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Planning on the waxoyl! 

Boot floors were D1, these don’t tend to go on D2’s thankfully! 

The problem with these is the chassis. The rear legs rot.

Only Land Rover could resolve such and issue and cut costs elsewhere to make a non issue become a big one, They totally reversed the issues of the DI, making the weak point a strong point and the strong point the weak point, A d2 body on a d1 chassis would be a relatively corrosion resistant 4x4.

Don’t bother with waxoil, if you’re planning on using it off road. It has a tendency to lock in moisture and rot it from the inside out. Trust me, that’s happened to my D1 after previous owner used to jet wash it, let it “dry” then re waxoil it .... fucked it. Don’t bother with poly bushes either, you need flex in suspension. My D1 came fully poly bushed. One by one they’ve all broke and failed due to off road shenanigans. 

You can thank me in a couple of years.