Had enough of shite

Barry Cade

Totally get you on being fed up with shite. As soon as I get back from holiday, everything on my side of the fleet is going. Since selling the Duster I don't have a 'modern' on the fleet any more and any issues with cars now make me nervous where they didn't before. The stinking attitude of car people has also put me off for good.

On a more helpful note, my wife's niece has had a 57 plate MK4 Mondeo 1.8 Tdci for many years. It was her father in law's before that too. She hasn't had any problems with it at all in that time.

Whatever happens though, nothing you get will be cool enough for this place unless it's a Peugeot or Citroen. 

Sorry it's not worked out for you and I hope you get something sorted.

If Hondas are too dull then maybe not, but my dad had more or less the same criteria when his Accord started playing up and ended up with an Avensis D4-D. 

Failing that, on the basis I know nowt about them but LabRat seems to like his on the modern forum, Ssangyong Korando? 

Mazda CX-7. Only because I'd never heard of them until I saw one on Ebay the other day. 

s-l1600.jpg

Just got the expensive tax but they look nice and they look like a nice place to sit plus they seem quite roomy and there's a few red and blue ones for sale.

Obviously someone will be along in a moment to point out that 'insert mechanical issue' will happen with absolute certainty within 6 months of ownership on these engines ;)

The thing is, anything is going to have potential problems. It's a case of picking your poison and taking it as a risk factor. Forums don't help as all problems come up and it can be hard to tell how common they really are. As my local garage says; they see all makes and models but they tend to see less Japanese.

With modern cars I see the following options:
1. Buy something that you can afford to throw away if it pops suddenly and shortly after buying. For most this means sub £1.5k snorters

2. Buy brand new on finance. Potentially more expensive however you get a guaranteed cost per month and less sudden stress on your finances. Anything that goes wrong you throw it at the dealer to sort. When the finance period is up, chop it in for something else and rinse+repeat. Also get the shiny shiny new thing and choice how you want a car rather than trying to find one you want.

3. Buy something second hand but newish. Then gamble that it won't have problems in the same period that you could have bought a new car. E.g. spend £7000 and hope in two years and 20k miles it doesn't have any big bills. This on the basis that £1k down and £250pcm for two years would get you something equivalent and brand new.
Risk factors on this depend on the make+model and their problems. You may wish to take extra risk on something German Exec over say the Honda CRV because it's a nicer place to sit. Also some cars have niggly problems that happen often and others have problems that are rare but are catastrophic.
After that period you're basically quids in and winning. Just be careful not to get caught spending big bucks repairing something if it does break.

4. To the hell with it and just buy with your heart. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. Many non car people tend to do this and seem to get away with it happily. Modern cars are a lot more reliable than ones of old.

I'm currently doing number 3 with our 2010 A4 and winning. £4.5k two years ago and 22k miles later it's still working fine. I have had to put new tyres on it and the pads+discs will need changing all round. Something I wouldn't have had to do if I bought new.
Luckily my local garage is cheap for consumables and servicing. It's at the point where if something expensive broke, I'd be happy to throw it away. Remember with relatively modern German cars is that they are worth a fair bit as parts. So just as "scrap" I can have someone take it away from me and still get a grand back - probably around a grand at the moment for it.

I don’t really get the logic of spending £2-300 a month because you’ve had a few big bills. It’s like budgeting for the worst case scenario. If you want cheap motoring also, get something very run of the mill. 

Wouldn’t worry unduly either about the small capacity ecoboost, out of the millions they’ve sold a tiny fraction of them have blown up. All the same people that were terrified of catalytic converters or fuel injection come out of the woodwork with all the hyperbole about if

you buy one it will explode and you really ought to stick to a 1256cc Chevette as it can be fixed with some baling twine and a stick. 

1 hour ago, HillmanImp said:

Mazda CX-7. Only because I'd never heard of them until I saw one on Ebay the other day. 

s-l1600.jpg

Just got the expensive tax but they look nice and they look like a nice place to sit plus they seem quite roomy and there's a few red and blue ones for sale.

Obviously someone will be along in a moment to point out that 'insert mechanical issue' will happen with absolute certainty within 6 months of ownership on these engines ;)

Timing chains, stretch,,jump and fuck up the engines.

i believe there was a law suit in Australia and the trade over here won’t take them as trade ins.

i know someone who owned a petrol one, it sounded like a diesel most days.

I'm also sick of shite. Worked out I've spent more on old cars in 3 years than a 3 year lease on something like Hyundai Tucson which having driven as a hire car I know would have served me fine with no hassle. All I have to show for it is two slightly broken cars with an average age of 15.

I'll be there naysayer on Subarus. Had a 2003 Outback. Needed because we lived miles down a crappy farm track wrecked every year by daffodil farmers.

Everything rusts, brakes, exhaust, filler neck etc. Parts had to come from Sweden at vast expense. Practically swept the Outback off the drive in bits about 2015. Still nice in 2.5 manual but ridiculously thirsty and quite slow. To put it in context it rusted worse than my E46 from 2001 that is still going strong despite being left in a wet field in Cornwall all its life.

I'd go Toyota if I wanted to buy a modern upfront.

2 hours ago, HillmanImp said:

s-l1600.jpg

Bad for breaking cam chains I believe

1 hour ago, Luxxo Waftybarger said:

I'm also sick of shite. Worked out I've spent more on old cars in 3 years than a 3 year lease on something like Hyundai Tucson which having driven as a hire car I know would have served me fine with no hassle. All I have to show for it is two slightly broken cars with an average age of 15.

I'll be there naysayer on Subarus. Had a 2003 Outback. Needed because we lived miles down a crappy farm track wrecked every year by daffodil farmers.

Everything rusts, brakes, exhaust, filler neck etc. Parts had to come from Sweden at vast expense. Practically swept the Outback off the drive in bits about 2015. Still nice in 2.5 manual but ridiculously thirsty and quite slow. To put it in context it rusted worse than my E46 from 2001 that is still going strong despite being left in a wet field in Cornwall all its life.

I'd go Toyota if I wanted to buy a modern upfront.

My parents run a 2005 outback on their farm in NE Scotland. Every MOT something has rusted away, then my dad once told me how much a replacement brake caliper carrier cost... About the average price of a whole car from this forum.

It is rather nice to drive, if you don't try going anywhere quickly. The 2.5 just doesn't seem keen to rev. Also very comfy, but the one-piece radio and heater controls scare me.

I've had good luck with cheap shite that does fulfil the requirement of reliable transportation. They also have the advantage of not holding you hostage (see: sunk cost fallacy). When they eventually break beyond an easy fix, despite proper maintenance, replace with another cheap runner, rinse & repeat.

I loathe throwing big bucks at a motor and then continue throwing big bucks at it to keep it running.

I was a committed autoshiter, have been for nearly 30 years. Cars were my life. Work, hobby, weekends, days off. I bought a Toyota, it ate 3 wheel bearings on holiday and drank oil. A kia.. rotten. Jeep, ECU issues.. just had enough and need something to do what I need it to do. I've spent a fortune in the past year to have a fucked 20 year old jeep sitting outside. When it was fun, it was fun. Now it's not.

On Mazdas: a mate has a fairly recent Mazda 5 with 112k miles on the clock, and it just shat its engine. I think it had something to do with the DPF tossing all its post-regeneration gunk into the oil circulation, unfiltered bits getting into bearings and destroying the engine.

He was not very happy. I think that's just shocking.

Edit: Barry Cade, I understand where you're coming from. Sorry to see you've had bad luck.. sometimes you just get lemon after lemon. I just don't know if newer is better, to be honest. I just hate the financial risk, as I've had an expensive lesson once.

I’d vote for the mk4 type Mondeo. It’s a popular car and has good spares and service backup, plus being popular that must say something!?

My dad has a 60 reg 2.0 diesel titanium x estate, he’s had it a good 7 or 8 years now and it’s not put a foot wrong so far. This year it had a couple of bushes replaced on the rear suspension, but that was only to stop a droning noise, they were still ok to use. Not bad I don’t think, and other than tyres, brakes and regular servicing that’s all it’s needed.

Theyre a nice looking car for a modern imho and it’s a comfortable well specced car too. That’d be my choice anyway.

7 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

I’d vote for the mk4 type Mondeo. It’s a popular car and has good spares and service backup, plus being popular that must say something!?

My dad has a 60 reg 2.0 diesel titanium x estate, he’s had it a good 7 or 8 years now and it’s not put a foot wrong so far. This year it had a couple of bushes replaced on the rear suspension, but that was only to stop a droning noise, they were still ok to use. Not bad I don’t think, and other than tyres, brakes and regular servicing that’s all it’s needed.

Theyre a nice looking car for a modern imho and it’s a comfortable well specced car too. That’d be my choice anyway.

That's  were my head is just now. Apart from 4wd, they are the perfect choice. Been away from Ford for a long time but time to go back to the blue oval I think.

42 minutes ago, Barry Cade said:

That's  were my head is just now. Apart from 4wd, they are the perfect choice. Been away from Ford for a long time but time to go back to the blue oval I think.

It’s probably best to go and find one in the spec your after at a dealership or something and just use that to take a test drive in one. Even if you don’t buy that one it’ll give you the chance to try before you buy. The good thing with the Mondy is that there’s shit loads of them around so you can afford to be picky.

There are some high mileage knackered and abused turds around but there’s also some very nice well looked after ones too. My dad’s was a one owner non fleet car. The only reason it was for sale was the old boy that owned it from new (and had money to burn!) fancied a Jag instead!! With a bit of car know how you’ll easily weed out a really good car.

When it comes to spec, don’t try an LX or Zetec (whatever they’re called now) and think they’re all much the same. The Ghia or Titanium cars are much much nicer cars and they’re the ones to go for imho. I know that’s not very Autoshite to say but I find the lower end spec ones to be quite dull in many ways! I know if it were me doing what your doing I’d end up disappointed if I got a Zetec! I’d be constantly wishing I’d got the Titanium instead!

You can get Dacia Dusters in 4x4 flavour can you not and that keeps the simplistic ethos of a Panda. 

I completely understand disillusion with shite. They take up headspace that could be put to better use. And after all the effort they still remain a used car with too many issues. One thing I will say in shites favour is in a financial emergency, it's a spending tap that can be immediately turned off. 

2 hours ago, danthecapriman said:

I’d vote for the mk4 type Mondeo. 

Was going to link to my dads one he traded in at the weekend. but its gone already. (They only listed it last night) It was a titanium estate in beige. Only thing that went wrong was the bonnet catch was bit of a nob.

His other one, a titanium x 5 door was a good car too.

I'm another Outback owner (our 'modern' 2005 family car)... Great drive, decent boot, and pretty much unbeatable in the weather for a car, anyway.  Would agree with others, rust is a now constant threat, and the parts can be eye-wateringly expensive.  I got a custom stainless exhaust hundreds cheaper than Subaru wanted for a mild steel.  My wife uses it 95% of the time, gets 36mpg.  I always seem to be doing something on it though, whereas the old Hilux keeps plodding on.  

14 hours ago, Barry Cade said:

Which is why I'm wary of any VAG group car, they are very nice on the surface. I have seen beyond the soft damping and textured plastic....  If you had spent as much time as me getting steel bolts out of aluminium housings, or extracting broken tensioner bolts  you'd understand..

I get this totally but am torn with VAG stuff. I love the S4 but it's pretty special, however most of the rest of what they make leaves me cold. 

I had it in my head I wanted a modernish diesel to run through the winter so bought the cheapest fucked Scout in the country an Octavia Scout but it's just not me. I like the toys and it drives well enough but I can't help but think a £500 snotter would do the same thing. It'll get a years MOT and a timing belt and sold on and I'll find something else more suitable* 

On the plus side parts are cheap and easily available for VAG stuff and they'll always sell on well. Hopefully...

7 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Totally get you on being fed up with shite. As soon as I get back from holiday, everything on my side of the fleet is going. Since selling the Duster I don't have a 'modern' on the fleet any more and any issues with cars now make me nervous where they didn't before. The stinking attitude of car people has also put me off for good.

On a more helpful note, my wife's niece has had a 57 plate MK4 Mondeo 1.8 Tdci for many years. It was her father in law's before that too. She hasn't had any problems with it at all in that time.

Whatever happens though, nothing you get will be cool enough for this place unless it's a Peugeot or Citroen. 

Sorry it's not worked out for you and I hope you get something sorted.

Sad to hear. Sorry to be a vulture but please let me know about the small French vehicle you currently own...

3 hours ago, TrabbieRonnie said:

I'm another Outback owner (our 'modern' 2005 family car)... Great drive, decent boot, and pretty much unbeatable in the weather for a car, anyway.  Would agree with others, rust is a now constant threat, and the parts can be eye-wateringly expensive.  I got a custom stainless exhaust hundreds cheaper than Subaru wanted for a mild steel.  My wife uses it 95% of the time, gets 36mpg.  I always seem to be doing something on it though, whereas the old Hilux keeps plodding on.  

During its time from 2005ish to 2015 mine had an entire new subframe, rear brakes, exhaust and filler neck. Filler neck alone was £300! I used to wonder why my shoes stank of petrol until I realized it was pissing out the rust holes onto the forecourt while I filled up. Didn't help the abysmal mpg either. Contrast with supposedly rust prone BMW E46, 2 years older which was brought from new in 2001 and is still going strong on its original exhaust.

Cheap reliable motoring? Got to be a Saab! Good in bad weather (they were designed for Scandinavian winters, a set of snow tyres and anything but deep drifts are fine). Petrol or diesel (the infamous 1.9 derv lump is what I have) and they are cheap enough to buy 2 so 1 will always be working! :-)  They even do a 4x4 and as long as the Haldex is serviced regularly (and always has been) they are supposed to be reliable enough.