Had enough of shite

Barry Cade

Just put the Jeep on Ebay, I'm at the end of my tether with it and its jerking. I've had a rough tally up of shite expenses for the past year or so, and I'd be cheaper just getting something newer and boringer.. Living way up in Braemar the last thing I need is a motor which never makes me feel like its not gonna let me down. Drove Mrs Cade's 500l to Edinburgh the other night to get a German family to the airport as their hire car had hit a pothole, ripped the sidewall and had no spare. The hire company left them high and dry and stuck in the back of beyond... anyway, the weather was horrible, but the wee Fiat just ploughed through, I was listening to spotify, air con on and cruise set, and I remembered I actually enjoy driving, especially getting 45MPG.

Issue is. I need something a bit big, room for the daft dug, 2 litre plus for towing and would like 4wd if poss. I like luxury so sat nav, cruise and air con are a must. Prefer auto. up to 7 grand ish...... Everything I look at seems to come back to the VW group which I dislike. Front runners just now are a Nice Mondeo TDCI Titanium X estate, a Mazda 6  estate and a Skoda Superb 4x4 DSG estate.  Maybe a Yeti or a Kuga.

Gonna be stuck with it for a few years so don't wanna make a mistake. I'm finding engines have gotten so smol now. Caravanners beware!

6 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

Volvo XC70? 

Thought about those. Just not sure about newer Volvo's.The seem to have a few issues which are always expensive. Not ruled out, I'd just be very choosy..

I do like a Mondeo. Titanium X is a very handsome car.. Just wish they did them in colour- everyone I see is white,black or grey. I mentioned in work, where everyone drives an Audi, that I was thinking of a Mondeo... It was just like I'd dropped a big eggy fart. That made me want one more.

Lexus RX fits the bill to be fair, seven grand will get you a tidy late 350 with fair milage, go for the SE and you avoid the air suspension and the 3.5 V6 is the most "economical" petrol engine, hybrid is better on fuel but they tend to be more expensive.

It has all wheel drive though I wouldn't be taking it down any lanes.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201908231458062?model=RX 350&advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=nn84sl&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&make=LEXUS&sort=distance&price-from=500&radius=1500&page=2

8bfd5afd5b194f7bb4433b780f2020c4.jpg

I have some finance in place- car needs to be less than 8 years old.. Also where I live it's a 70 mile round trip to Tesco's, so economy is important...it's over the highest road in the UK, so it has to lug, and it is the record holder for the coldest place in the UK, so reliability and grip are also important. I usually do a Euro tour once a year too, so it has to be comfy for 2000+ miles.

I suggest this:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201905107808475

The average Honda buyer wants a petrol now and certainly doesn't want a "dirty" diesel, so these are very cheap for what they are. Dealers are struggling to get rid of them. Good diesels too and very economical. In-fact iirc one of them won the production car mpg award.

Clever magic seats fold down and they're one of the biggest in their class for boot size with the seat up. Also Honda reliability. 

Will loose out on the auto and 4wd but get a much newer car instead. 

4 minutes ago, SiC said:

I suggest this:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201905107808475

The average Honda buyer wants a petrol now and certainly doesn't want a "dirty" diesel, so these are very cheap for what they are. Dealers are struggling to get rid of them. Good diesels too and very economical. In-fact iirc one of them won the production car mpg award.

1400kg towing weight, right on the limit....  I don't like these smol engines. Had a 2013 V40 with the PSA 1.6  Diesel grenade and I hated the engine.

I'd stay away from the Ford power shifts. 

The Sportages are nice but the engines choices are limited to 1.7 diesels as are the Hyundai i35s and i40's

The Mazda 6's still offer a reasonably large engined diesel in a new car but they seem to have terrible DPF problems they've not managed to shake off even in the newer generations.

These CRV's look to be good value and you can still get them with the 2.2 diesel

a67d56f954d34052860a8aa21a9588ba.jpg

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201908221436990

1 minute ago, SiC said:

If not the Civic, what about the CRV mk4 with the 2.2 diesel? I believe the manuals have much better towing capacity than the auto and look to be in your budget range. 

It's probably the perfect choice, but Honda's are just so...... Meh. I'd like to get something I like rather than just ticking boxes. 

2 minutes ago, cort16 said:

Superbs are nice if you can put up with people jumping into your car when stopped at traffic light asking to be taken to the 24hr garage to buy pot noodles.

I used to own a Primera in the 1990's. I made a fortune!

The nearest 24 hr garage is about 60 miles away!

Tbh I'd rather the A4 B8 with the longitudinal engine placement over the Superb transverse. Nicer appointed interiors too. 

We are currently up at 186k on our A4 with no major faults in the 180k odd I've known the car. Just avoid S-Line trim.