For sale: BX Meteor

Fabergé Greggs

On 2/24/2020 at 5:20 PM, Fabergé Greggs said:

Interesting.. I'm using one of these filter housings: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264446960963?ul_noapp=true 

Are they the ones you reckon are tragically shit or were you meaning the old lucas one ? 

Ah, my apologies, I missed the bit where you replaced the original filter housing. That'll teach me to read the thread properly...

If it does start running badly again leakoff pipes are probably the most likely culprit if you have a good filter housing. They do tend to go a bit hard and start cracking with age.

As @vulgalour says sunflower oil is definitely the one to go for with XUDs, particularly when temperatures are low (mix in about five litres of petrol to thin it down when it gets really nippy outside). My BX never really liked soya bean oil (most of the stuff branded just as vegetable oil) whatever the temperature and cold starting on anything else can be a pain, although once warm it's usually fine.

The other big advantage of sunflower is it smells so nice when emerging from the exhaust.

6 hours ago, vulgalour said:

Either way, it was happy on one kind of oil above the others and as long as you didn't mix it with anything other than diesel it continued to be happy.  It also seemed to prefer filtered used oil over fresh unused oil, though I'm not sure why that would be.

Perhaps XUDs are omnivorous like people?

spacer.png

I love chips and all but am I the only one who thinks burning sunflower smells rank? 

soooo stinky- maybe worse cos I seem to spend so much time in stationary traffic. 

Also diesels are just a bit rank. I always forget that until I buy one again. 

• 4 weeks later...