Fabergé Greggs

BX Meteor- F**king wiring

I only ever get an hour here or there to look at this, and always in the dark after work. 

So the immobiliser chip doesn't have a box or anything, it's just spliced into various things in the fusebox, and when you put the key in, it completes the circuits again. BASIC! 

I've tested it's function with a multimeter and made the corresponding corrective splices in the wiring harness. Something ain't right though: 

• The solenoid loses 12v after a second or two. 
  • Shorting the solenoid to positive allows the engine to run, but also activates the glow plug relay. 
  • Somehow, these 2 circuits are linked in a way they shouldn't be. 

so...

• Can anyone show me how the solenoid should be wired in the engine bay? Mine has definitely been fiddled with as it has a shonky connector to a non-OE wire. 
  • Can anyone provide some clarity on fusebox/relay layout? 
  • Basically I'd just like to trace the wiring to make sure all is order. 

This is the solenoid wire in near the battery tray. Note the abundance of that green cable which doesn't look kosher. 

IMG_0314.thumb.jpg.b961489af72e186066420dcfe2c64ce0.jpg

Are these OE? Coming from the + terminal. I'm guessing glow plug 12v feed? 

IMG_0315.thumb.jpg.7d6875e2b0556ace66206c58829de9aa.jpg

I reckon this must be the glow plug relay and maybe solenoid relay. Abundance of green wires arouses suspicion. There's another relay behind the headlight in a little plastic waterproof sleeve.. anyone else got this? 

IMG_0316.thumb.JPG.612852d3aa69492f8133220f63bd6507.JPG

1 minute ago, Mr Pastry said:

Basic I know, but is there a good earth from the engine to the body?  Try it with a jump lead from engine block direct to battery negative?

Good shout, I haven't tested that, though I'm not sure it would explain the glow plugs coming on with the solenoid shorted? 

18 minutes ago, Fabergé Greggs said:

That's the glow plug relay below - good luck getting it sorted! You could try just running a new wire from a switched live to the stop solenoid to see if it behaves itself?

IMG_0316.thumb.JPG.612852d3aa69492f8133220f63bd6507.JPG

Edited by Tepper
Edit: see you've already tried that with 12v to the solenoid. Never mind!

8 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

^^

This. Absolutely this.

Better than the one Lada Niva I had where the *entire* loom was pink. 

One thing I do not miss about that thing is doing anything involving wiring.  It gained a heck of a lot of labels in key locations during my ownership!