Datsun Almera woes

thatsmacar

The Almera pssed its MOT the other day but not without warning.  When I bought it, it had this gearstick wobble which I and others were convinced it was an engine mount somewhere.  Over time it was slowly getting less violent and reduced even further when I had the front rubbers changed.  I should have walked away from it with this but thought it would have been an easy fix.

These QG engines are cracking.  Much torx low in the rev range which helps get it moving and economical too.  I want to stick one in a K11 Micra for shitz an gigglez.  Anyway, off track.  I mentioned the aforementioned wobble to my mechanic and he had a nosey, apparently getting a 'big bar' out to test the mounts, but when he drove it he worked out the problem.

The problem is the NS drive shaft.  I think previous stoopid old git smacked that corner into some pavement stuff and ever so slightly fucked the shaft, which in turn may be killing the gearbox.  The gear changes are getting notchy and grindy there fore it might just be better to scrap the thing in time.
Also from this, the front cross member has lots of brown on it as does the rear inner sills.  A new exhaust would be required as well and this might be needed sooner rather than later.  I might even be able to sell it as is now with a years MOT.

As for my next car, I am wanting something that will carry 8ft wood posts, large things easily.  I'm thinking big Volvo estate with a diesel lump.  I'm still trying to bring her around to getting a van.    Needs to be strong as the Mrs is having ideas about getting a 4 berth caravan.

This is where I am at the moment with the Almera daily driver.  I actually hate spending loads of moneyon a car yet still looking at a Dacia Logan new.  Go figure.

4 minutes ago, rusty998 said:

With 12 months MOT on it I would get shot of it and try and find a suitable replacement 

Yep. Just don't sell it on here because we all know what's wrong with it now!

Actually, knowing folk on here somebody would probably want to buy it and fix it up...