garethj

Spaceship Honda Civic bought

This is the top of my list of sensible cars to buy if I ever have any money. The 2.2 CTDI would do me perfectly well. If anyone sees one (has to be a five-door, preferably in that nice pale bronze colour) in the £800 arena that doesn't look totally shagged, please let me know (looking at modern cars for sale on the internet gives me a headache).

I'd be really interested to know how you get on with this long-term Gareth, assuming it doesn't die a death next week. Although, the knowledge that it doesnt have an AUX input has sort of turned me off a bit - most '90s cars have them and Mp3 players weren't even invented then, how can a modern car not??? Actually, that makes me so disgustingly angry I don't think I could live with one.

The lack of aux input is terrible, however it’s rectified with a £30 adapter and less than an hour’s work.  As the rest of the car is something that would normally be rejected for a concept, never mind production, I’ve decided to be benevolent.

This is the top of my list of sensible cars to buy if I ever have any money. The 2.2 CTDI would do me perfectly well. If anyone sees one (has to be a five-door, preferably in that nice pale bronze colour) in the £800 arena that doesn't look totally shagged, please let me know (looking at modern cars for sale on the internet gives me a headache).
I'd be really interested to know how you get on with this long-term Gareth, assuming it doesn't die a death next week. Although, the knowledge that it doesnt have an AUX input has sort of turned me off a bit - most '90s cars have them and Mp3 players weren't even invented then, how can a modern car not??? Actually, that makes me so disgustingly angry I don't think I could live with one.
I don't think many 90s cars have aux in but they can be retrofitted with any single DIN stereo you want unlike many newer cars with unique to the model stereos built into the dash.

I really like these, despite the obvious wiper deficiency. They corrected it on the next model, but then created a huge triangle of doom with the front wipers and fitted rear indicators so small you need a microscope to actually witness them flashing. BLOODY AWFUL. So yeah, I like yours m8.

In an effort to get rid of the stale cigarettes smell, I got serious with this.  First stage was to get the inside deep cleaned so I stumped up £25 at the local car wash for the gold-platinum-diamanté valet.  There were 4 blokes all over it and in 15 minutes they did a better job than I would do in a morning.

Then I got some carpet shampoo and did the seats and carpets, finishing off with some Dettol disposable wipes on all the hard surfaces and the headliner.  The car wash place gave me an air freshener that would surely set off a Geiger counter but the smell of fags was still there.  Time to up my game and get all ozone on yo ass

A7FAB5A5-016E-47C8-B323-E78450617D4D.thumb.jpeg.9a9074ef84d0ebaf0df2826b3a9f1076.jpeg

This thing that looks like Doc Brown would put it on the DeLorean is an ozone generator.  It does something to the stinky chemicals by either attaching or removing an atom.  Anyway, you’re supposed to run it for half an hour with the windows shut, leave it for 40 minutes and then air out the car.

Due to my inadequacy with the timer knob I let it run for just under an hour.  Like a fine piece of meat I let it rest as directed and then opened the door to give it a sniff.

You know how sometimes a smell can instantly take you back somewhere?  As soon as I opened the door I was transported to every hotel in China that I’ve ever stayed in!  It must be that they don’t just use air fresheners in these hotels but ozone generators.

This one is fairly powerful and you can’t be in the room while it’s running but there are also smaller ones.  Anyway, the car now smells like I’ve got terrible jet lag and am about to negotiate a Chinese breakfast buffet.  However the stale fags smell has gone.

According to The Internet it needs a few days for the ozone to fade and after that it might need a second shot of 30 minutes.  So far it’s fucking impressive though!

13 minutes ago, garethj said:

In an effort to get rid of the stale cigarettes smell, I got serious with this.  First stage was to get the inside deep cleaned so I stumped up £25 at the local car wash for the gold-platinum-diamanté valet.  There were 4 blokes all over it and in 15 minutes they did a better job than I would do in a morning.

Then I got some carpet shampoo and did the seats and carpets, finishing off with some Dettol disposable wipes on all the hard surfaces and the headliner.  The car wash place gave me an air freshener that would surely set off a Geiger counter but the smell of fags was still there.  Time to up my game and get all ozone on yo ass

A7FAB5A5-016E-47C8-B323-E78450617D4D.thumb.jpeg.9a9074ef84d0ebaf0df2826b3a9f1076.jpeg

This thing that looks like Doc Brown would put it on the DeLorean is an ozone generator.  It does something to the stinky chemicals by either attaching or removing an atom.  Anyway, you’re supposed to run it for half an hour with the windows shut, leave it for 40 minutes and then air out the car.

Due to my inadequacy with the timer knob I let it run for just under an hour.  Like a fine piece of meat I let it rest as directed and then opened the door to give it a sniff.

You know how sometimes a smell can instantly take you back somewhere?  As soon as I opened the door I was transported to every hotel in China that I’ve ever stayed in!  It must be that they don’t just use air fresheners in these hotels but ozone generators.

This one is fairly powerful and you can’t be in the room while it’s running but there are also smaller ones.  Anyway, the car now smells like I’ve got terrible jet lag and am about to negotiate a Chinese breakfast buffet.  However the stale fags smell has gone.

According to The Internet it needs a few days for the ozone to fade and after that it might need a second shot of 30 minutes.  So far it’s fucking impressive though!

I've owned a couple of cars that have smelled of dogs or cigarettes, in  spite of serious cleaning.

I'd be interested to see if the cigarette smell is still gone in a few days when the ozone smell disappears!

Good luck. :) 

19 hours ago, Lacquer Peel said:

I don't think many 90s cars have aux in but they can be retrofitted with any single DIN stereo you want unlike many newer cars with unique to the model stereos built into the dash.

Yeah I was being a bit 'internet pub bore' there, seeing as I haven't driven that many '90s cars. Xantias do, though, and that's all that really matters.

16 hours ago, Fabergé Greggs said:

Did they do a dizzler auto capable of not shutting itself? 

I don’t think the autos are much good but that’s only what I’ve heard, perhaps from people who’ve mostly never tried one

Bought it, about £60 from Amazon395F5CBE-712F-4D94-B157-2C6FDA382403.thumb.jpeg.de3b3a68d1a5cc185a745098d63f4b70.jpeg

It’s definitely made a huge difference as I found out last night when I opened the glovebox and the stink came charging out.

I’ll run the machine again tonight, open all the cubby holes and also set the heater to recirculate to get all the ducts treated.