Fuel gauge arrow

ETCHY

Iv heard of this one before, AFAIK when there's an arrow, it is for pointing out which side the filler is on, but otherwise if there's no arrow then there's nothing to tell you

for what its worth my Model 70 Fuel gauge has the pump hose on the right but the fuel tank/filler is on the left side somewhat, or its in the middle if you count the front service hatch as the world's largest fuel filler flap :mrgreen:

IMG_0500.thumb.JPG.081f5faf9caca03b465fe2fc6ac7299d.JPG

1 hour ago, 2MB said:

Girlfriend is at work in it but I’m pretty sure our smart forfour has no arrow, the hose on the right and the flap on the left

My missus it as home now, I'll see if I can get my hose to the left of her flap.

The arrow on the dashboard bit was the case for various American cars from the 1990s onwards, possibly earlier as well.

I seem to remember that older British cars tended to have their filler caps on the lefthand side, as one would expect if filling up at a roadside pump, while continental cars had theirs on the right for the same reason.

Some cars like Mercedes and earlier American makes had their fillers at the back, hidden under numberplates etc.

Triumph Spitfires have their filler caps central in the top of the rear deck.

Jaguar and Daimler saloons of several types from the 1960s through to the 1990s had twin tanks with a filler neck on each side at the rear.

My 1958 Ferguson FE35 tractor has the filler in the front and middle, hidden away under its own long access hatch in the hinge-forward bonnet.

1 hour ago, Floatylight said:

Citroen C3 filler on left dashboard thusly..05f66eb2ba47e15d632b443f2220b329.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

The French logic is actually sound*, thats the picture of the pump you need to park against to fill your tank when the filler is on left hand side of the car. 

9 hours ago, Mrs6C said:

Some cars like Mercedes and earlier American makes had their fillers at the back, hidden under numberplates etc.

Triumph Spitfires have their filler caps central in the top of the rear deck.

Jaguar and Daimler saloons of several types from the 1960s through to the 1990s had twin tanks with a filler neck on each side at the rear.

My 1958 Ferguson FE35 tractor has the filler in the front and middle, hidden away under its own long access hatch in the hinge-forward bonnet.

Many pre-67 Dubs hid the filler cap under the bonnet.